PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code Film

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 15:46
Planning in going to see it.Heard through reviews in the papers that its a heap o' pants.Hey any of you orgers seen it.Wit like?:D

erli
24-May-06, 15:55
Went to see it on Saturday. It's always the same with films adapted from books, they are never as good. I suppose if I hadn't read the book then it would have been a good film but I new what would happen all the way through. They left out a lot of good bits too.
Worth a watching though.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 16:04
Went to see it on Saturday. It's always the same with films adapted from books, they are never as good. I suppose if I hadn't read the book then it would have been a good film but I new what would happen all the way through. They left out a lot of good bits too.
Worth a watching though.

Cheers erli.Know what you mean about reading the book and the film not living up to it.Will give the Da Vinci Code a watch.

One o' the books I read though was the Running Man by Richard Bachman(a.k.a Stephen King).Thought the film wi' Arnie was much better.

Alice in Blunderland
24-May-06, 20:18
Husband went to watch it in Manchester at the weekend.....he fell asleep :confused and missed a good part of it.He said he couldnt keep up with the plot and felt it would have been easier if he had read the book

Rheghead
24-May-06, 21:32
I went to see the film without reading the book and found it ok but it's not an oscar contender(I much preferred Mission impossibleIII as I didn't need to think too hard about its plot). I found the plot a bit 'jiggIy abouty' in that there were too many coincidences eg. when the police turned up unexplained etc, so I am currently reading the book so I can fill in the unexplained bits but I haven't got a lot of time so I am reading about 10 pages a day. :D

golach
24-May-06, 21:49
I went to see the film without reading the book and found it ok but it's not an oscar contender(I much preferred Mission impossibleIII as I didn't need to think too hard about its plot). I found the plot a bit 'jiggIy abouty' in that there were too many coincidences eg. when the police turned up unexplained etc, so I am currently reading the book so I can fill in the unexplained bits but I haven't got a lot of time so I am reading about 10 pages a day. :D
Rheg, I am taking the book on holiday next week, so please dont tell me the plot, I dont want to know if Tom Hanks gets the girl :mad:

dragonfly
24-May-06, 22:00
I read the book yonks ago and went to see the film on Saturday. Thought it was good, bits of the book were missed out but didn't think it affected the storyline.

My daughter, who hadn't read the book was able to follow it well though did ask a few questions throughout but she's only 14 so expected her not to understand it that much.

Its not the best film of the year but its an enjoyable one

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 22:59
I read the book yonks ago and went to see the film on Saturday. Thought it was good, bits of the book were missed out but didn't think it affected the storyline.

My daughter, who hadn't read the book was able to follow it well though did ask a few questions throughout but she's only 14 so expected her not to understand it that much.

Its not the best film of the year but its an enjoyable one

Like yourself dragonfly,and like erli earlier on.Sometimes feel that the books are better than the films.A cracker of an example,is Peeves the Poltergheist in Harry Potter books.Really funny character.When ye talk about him to folk who have just seen the films they go,Who?

When ye blether to folk who have read the books they go,"Oh aye!!!!":D

rollerboy
25-May-06, 01:26
seen it on sunday its a film u would like or not i liked it.

candyfloss
25-May-06, 09:08
Went to see the film last night, thought it was pretty good but not as good as the book.Still worth watching though.

mccaugm
25-May-06, 10:01
;) I am on the last of the Dan Brown series, stories are great although a bit samey, always an attractive intelligent female against an equally intelligent male...with a bit of controversy mixed in. Lucky I like that type of story. Cannot wait to see the film tomorrow night. I have heard that its not as good as the book....and Tom Hanks with long hair...?????:roll:

plutonio
25-May-06, 10:09
i read the book and thought it not very good, if your into that sort of thing The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco would be a better option. As for the rest of Dan Brown's books they are of the same ilk as Da Vinci Code and the plots very similiar in structure.

Whitewater
25-May-06, 10:27
I have read the book, but not seen the film yet, I'm looking forward to that. The reviews were either good or bad depending on whether the critic was of Catholic or Protestant faith, the Catholic critics all gave it bad reviews.

I wonder why????

Read the book, but also read ' The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail' and its sequel 'The Messianic Legacy' by the co-authors Michael Baignet, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincon. They will give you far more than the 'Da Vinci Code', you will be able to see where Dan Brown got his information from. However, having said that Dan Brown wove an excellent story around it some of it. Just as well there is no Inquisition now, or an aweful lot of intelligent researchers would be burned at the stake. It always makes you wonder what the Church of Rome is hiding, what are they running so scared of ???

George Brims
25-May-06, 18:27
My conspiracy alert has been triggered. Where is Whitewater getting all this information about the religious affiliation of the movie reviewers? Why is he ignoring all the Protestant outrage about the book and film?

Personally, I thought the book was terrible. But then I'm an atheist, what do I know?

pultneytooner
25-May-06, 22:21
The book was much better than the movie, however, the book is hardly what I'd call challenging.
Having read many of the dead sea and naghamdi scrolls I can say that dan brown makes some very occluded assertions that don't correspond well with gnosis text.
As far as it being a mystery action flick and book, it's not a bad movie.

celtic 302
25-May-06, 22:30
read the book, and goin to see the film on saturday. u lot are nicer to the film that the critics, they hate it for some reason. All a bunch of christians who think that there other book, the bible or somethin of that title... makes so much more sense[evil]

celtic 302
25-May-06, 22:32
ps. didnt mean to offend anyone of a christian nature, but can u really believe the bible that much more than the da vinvi code. to me there BOTH acts of FICTION[disgust]

Whitewater
25-May-06, 23:48
My conspiracy alert has been triggered. Where is Whitewater getting all this information about the religious affiliation of the movie reviewers? Why is he ignoring all the Protestant outrage about the book and film?

Personally, I thought the book was terrible. But then I'm an atheist, what do I know?

Just out of the news papers George, there was also a programme on some time back while they were making the film, an interview with a Nun and an Opus Dei priest took place, they were both very bitter about the book, and even worse about the film. The Opus Dei priest also confirmed some of the things which Dan Brown had written about them.

By the way, the Opus Dei headquarters are located in Lexington Ave, New York, with a separate entrance for ladies.

I have to agree with you, as there is also outrage in some Protestant quarters from what we would call the 'true believers' in the birth of Christ etc. Personaly I try to keep an open mind, and really just want to know the truth about these things. Many good books have written recently by excellent historical researchers on the life of Christ using information gleened from the Dead Sea and Naghamdi scrolls, as well as the so called 'gnostic' gospels which were omited from the bible because they didn't fit in with stories which the early writers of the bible put across.

I would recommend you read 'The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail' and you will probably know why you are an atheist, and George, I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic by saying that.

George Brims
26-May-06, 00:28
I'm pretty sure I already know why I'm an atheist.

My main problem with the Da Vinci Code novel was not so much the plot, or at least the thrust of it. What I objected to was the awful execution. There were so many dumb howlers in there. It reeked of a book where the research about places and cultures was done at the library and not by going there. I found it supremely irritating that the story was gripping enough that I had to get to the end and see how it all resolved, but I had to wade my way past some awful stuff to get there.

Rheghead
26-May-06, 12:09
I have yet to read a book or watch a film that sends atheists into the streets to riot and calling for blood or a fatwa. Jeesh, some believers take it far too seriously, what are they so unsure about? :roll:

garycs
26-May-06, 15:03
I'm pretty sure I already know why I'm an atheist.

My main problem with the Da Vinci Code novel was not so much the plot, or at least the thrust of it. What I objected to was the awful execution. There were so many dumb howlers in there. It reeked of a book where the research about places and cultures was done at the library and not by going there. I found it supremely irritating that the story was gripping enough that I had to get to the end and see how it all resolved, but I had to wade my way past some awful stuff to get there.

I fully agree with you on this. There are some amazingly poor pieces of research in all Dan Brown's books and statements that seem to come out of a 1970's copy of "See Europe on $5 a day".

Tom Cornwall
26-May-06, 18:29
some friends of ours said the same as 'Dragonfly', some bits missed out, but a good film

pultneytooner
26-May-06, 20:06
Let us not forget, it's only a film. Too much analysis spoils the tale, leave that for Jonathon Ross.

Ricco
28-May-06, 07:04
I saw the film yesterday afternoon - brilliant! Thoroughly enjoyed the books as well. I always find it pointless to analyse the meaning of a book or film - I just either enjoy them or not. What appeals to one person does not necessarily appeal to another. Good job to - or we would all want to marry the same person, eat the same food, buy the same car... etc.:roll:

ŠAmethyst
30-May-06, 12:33
I gave into the hype and started reading the book yesterday. As a slow reader, I'm not far into the book, but so far I think it's one I can get into - but I doubt I'll want to watch the film (though the boyfriend really wants to take me to see it - and he's trying to persuade me to read "the holy blood and the holy grail" - I can't see it happening though).

Ricco
30-May-06, 13:35
I gave into the hype and started reading the book yesterday. As a slow reader, I'm not far into the book, but so far I think it's one I can get into - but I doubt I'll want to watch the film.

Amethyst - do give in and go with your boyfriend. It is an excellent film and worth watching in its own right.

ŠAmethyst
30-May-06, 14:27
Amethyst - do give in and go with your boyfriend. It is an excellent film and worth watching in its own right.

I've just heard so many mixed reports. I've heard people saying that once you've read the book you'll be disappointed in the film. Then again... that's what I thought with Lord of the Rings, and yet I love the films in their own strange way (was sooooo disappointed that Bilbo left on his own in the first film when he had some dwarves with him in the book).

Ricco
30-May-06, 15:22
I've just heard so many mixed reports. I've heard people saying that once you've read the book you'll be disappointed in the film. Then again... that's what I thought with Lord of the Rings, and yet I love the films in their own strange way (was sooooo disappointed that Bilbo left on his own in the first film when he had some dwarves with him in the book).

I read the book some time ago and loved it. Then I saw the film on Sat. and loved it as well. Same with LOTR - read the book years ago (took me 4 days!) and then wept for joy when I saw the movies.

By the way, when did Bilbo leave with dwarves? In the book and the film he left Baggins Row during his 111th birthday and went on to Rivendell.

ŠAmethyst
30-May-06, 17:10
By the way, when did Bilbo leave with dwarves? In the book and the film he left Baggins Row during his 111th birthday and went on to Rivendell.

"It was a fine night, and the black sky was dotted with stars. He looked up, sniffing the air. 'What fun! What fun to be off again, off on the road with dwarves! This is what I have really been longing for, for Years! Good-bye!' he said, looking at his old home and bowing to the door. 'Goodbye, Gandalf!'"

From 'The Fellowship of the Ring', chapter 1 'A Long-Expected Party'

It's daft details like that I remember when I watch the film after reading the book. Though I must say, the fellowship of the ring is by far my fave book AND film in the trilogy. I must have watched the film to death!

Ricco
30-May-06, 17:38
"It was a fine night, and the black sky was dotted with stars. He looked up, sniffing the air. 'What fun! What fun to be off again, off on the road with dwarves! This is what I have really been longing for, for Years! Good-bye!' he said, looking at his old home and bowing to the door. 'Goodbye, Gandalf!'"

From 'The Fellowship of the Ring', chapter 1 'A Long-Expected Party'

It's daft details like that I remember when I watch the film after reading the book. Though I must say, the fellowship of the ring is by far my fave book AND film in the trilogy. I must have watched the film to death!

Hmmm - but did he actually leave with dwarves?

ŠAmethyst
30-May-06, 18:36
"...Without another word he turned away from the lights and voices in the fields and tent, and followed by his three companions..."

Besides this thread isn't about Lord of the Rings... 'tis about the Da Vinci Code

Ricco
30-May-06, 19:15
"...Without another word he turned away from the lights and voices in the fields and tent, and followed by his three companions..."

Besides this thread isn't about Lord of the Rings... 'tis about the Da Vinci Code

Very true and again I urge you to go and see it.:D

ŠAmethyst
30-May-06, 22:06
I'm sure my boyfriend will drag me along to see it on his day off :)

Bingobabe
30-May-06, 22:53
:confused Just started reading the book my father read the book when it first came out and really enjoyed it.He went to see the film while on hoilday last week and thought it was rubbish and said it missed a majority of the best bits in the book out! On the other hand i was speaking to someone who has read all the dan brown books and seen the film and enjoyed the film so each to their own i suppose.

golach
15-Jun-06, 15:26
Rheg, I am taking the book on holiday next week, so please dont tell me the plot, I dont want to know if Tom Hanks gets the girl :mad:
Just back from my hols and I have read "Angles and Demons & The Davinci Code", I prefered the former but not bad books of fiction, I have read worse, Mrs G ran out of reading material and picked up Angels & Demons and could not put it down. So I would say I liked both books but it will not change my mind on religion in any way though

mccaugm
15-Jun-06, 16:01
I have read his books and am on the last of the four,:cool: Deception Point. Its not as good as the other three, but still worth a look. His books all have a similar theme but still enjoyable nonetheless.

obiron
15-Jun-06, 19:16
I have read his books and am on the last of the four,:cool: Deception Point. Its not as good as the other three, but still worth a look. His books all have a similar theme but still enjoyable nonetheless.

i thought deception point was a good read far better than angels and demons.