PDA

View Full Version : Digital Radio - Get ready to scrap all your radios

Anfield
29-Mar-10, 12:37
The government has announced plans to shut down all analogue ( FM/AM) broadcasting of radio services by 2015.

This will mean that consumers will have to replace all their existing radios and car stereos, unless they can receive a DAB signal.

As Digital Radio is still in its infancy in North Scotland, I checked the info site to see if I can receive it, and was not surprised to see that it is still not available for my area, and that there are no current plans to start broadcasting here.

I then entered postcodes for central Thurso & Wick and it states you "are fairly likely to receive these stations, but may need an external aerial for best reception"

So if you live in central Thurso/Wick, not only do you have to buy a new radio, but you also have to buy a new aerial as well.

You can of course receive digital radio through sky & freeview but a bit of a hassle lugging your TV from room to room

http://www.uk-dab.info/new/ukd.asp

joxville
29-Mar-10, 15:00
You can of course receive digital radio through sky & freeview but a bit of a hassle lugging your TV from room to room

Even worse setting it up in the car, I can't see out the windscreen because of my 42 incher. :)

Kodiak
29-Mar-10, 15:56
Even worse setting it up in the car, I can't see out the windscreen because of my 42 incher. :)

What you could do Jox is to remove the Sun Roof in your car. Then fit your 42" Flat Scree TV with the screen facing down. Then whenever you park you will be able put your seat back and watch TV in HD. Then you will be able to get DAB Radio.

PS Dont forget to attach your Satelite Dish. :D

joxville
29-Mar-10, 16:13
Hmmm, only problem is, I don't have a sunroof. :(

davie
29-Mar-10, 16:24
Jox, I have a 9" grinder - that would help.

On a more serious note where I live there will be no digital reception (terrestrial) whatsover - time to tell the Licensing Stazi to stuff it ?

Kodiak
29-Mar-10, 16:24
Hmmm, only problem is, I don't have a sunroof. :(

I have an Old Hacksaw you can borrow. :D

CFM
29-Mar-10, 17:31
According to a representative of digital radio uk (official body dealing digital radio)there will be no fm switch off. There will be a digital switch on but it will not be like TV with digital replacing analogue completely. The plan is for both systems to co-exist, with community stations and some commercial stations staying on fm. All new British cars will have digital radios installed at source within the next 3 years. A protype is currently being developed which will take both digital and fm using 2 chips.

Incidently it is anticipated that London will have full digital coverage by the end of this year and it will be at least 2015 before the majority of the country has it - so don't rush to throw away those radio sets - you will get many more years use from them yet.

(just back from a conference to discuss this in case you wonder where I got the information from)

EDDIE
29-Mar-10, 18:19
I wouldnt worry two much about it you will be able to buy converters so u will still be able to get digital radio on your current radios just the same as you were able to get freeviewboxes for analogoue tv before freeview digital is standard in the tv

gollach
29-Mar-10, 18:25
Highland Council are trying to get digital BBC radio stations on Freeview stopped so that BBC Alba can take up the free slots.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2009/November/2009-11-17-04.htm

No decision taken yet.

joxville
29-Mar-10, 18:31
Highland Council are trying to get digital BBC radio stations on Freeview stopped so that BBC Alba can take up the free slots.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2009/November/2009-11-17-04.htm

No decision taken yet.

Given the small number of people who can understand Gaelic then I think one channel is enough. I don't know how the ratings are worked out but I think it would be safe to say that the Gaelic channel hardly registers a blip on the chart.

northener
29-Mar-10, 19:03
......, I can't see out the windscreen because of my 42 incher. :)

Must...resist...must resist........nooooooo...........

sweetpea
29-Mar-10, 23:35
Fortunately I don't have to lug my telly about. I tried a digital radio in my kitchen and it works! I must be in a good zone or something! a little pocket of DAB.:)

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-10, 23:42
I love my DAB radio, but even in a good coverage zone in Central London I need to be careful where I put it. I can't get it to work at the end of the garden, which is one of my favourite places to listen to the radio.

I cannot imagine a world where you can get good reception all over the hilly Highlands, not without a huge number of transmitters.

In London we listen to a lot of 'Pirate' radio, as far as I am aware these will continue to work on FM so there is life in it yet.

Perhaps that is the way forward for rural Scotland too.

Could be a good thing.

A croft subculture where the national broadcaster does not intrude, that appeals to me.

sweetpea
29-Mar-10, 23:47
[quote=Boozeburglar;683343]I love my DAB radio, but even in a good coverage zone in Central London I need to be careful where I put it. I can't get it to work at the end of the garden, which is one of my favourite places to listen to the radio.

I have the same carry on with it in the bathroom. I move it all over the place etc but it's fickle.

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-10, 23:53
Which is what makes me believe it is a better idea to use a wifi replay device around the house, regardless of the source it uses.

:)

sweetpea
29-Mar-10, 23:55
Is that when it's hooked up to a laptop?

Phill
29-Mar-10, 23:56
Jox, I have a 9"

I can't see out the windscreen because of my 42 incher.

......I need to be careful where I put it

Your sick I tell you, SICK.

SICK, SICK, SICK!!!

Boozeburglar
30-Mar-10, 00:08
There are loads of them, I haven't set up my place like that yet, because I have an ordinary hifi in the bathroom, that takes my phone.

I mean that is the way I would go for total coverage around the home.

DAB tuner/internet radio networked to a slave device suitable for bathrooms/gardens.

:)

sweetpea
30-Mar-10, 00:12
I see what you mean BB that's more or less how I get my radio around the home, in a way.

davie
30-Mar-10, 08:55

No decision taken yet.

That should be good - radio with English sub-titles is perfect

Phill
30-Mar-10, 12:21
The reliance on 'digital' technologies for general communications (and others) with no analogue backup does not fill me with confidence.

The benefits of digital are obvious however they come at a price of being very temperamental and more susceptible to sources of interference and the (digital)signals become damaged by any attenuation from the weather (i.e. snow).

I also have concerns for some more elderly / lone people who's main source of company may well be a wireless. Will they be able to a. easily use a DAB set. b. be sure of coverage. c. easily afford new equipment.

On the other hand it's probably a government/illuminate/masonic/THEM/alien* conspiracy that will eventually control our minds.

*delete as applicable

ducati
30-Mar-10, 15:21
Another deeply worrying side effect of digital is we will no longer be transmitting radio waves across the universe for our brothers on distant stars to receive and one day follow, when they come looking for us.

That, an yer tinfoil hat won't work :eek:

jm.mack
13-May-10, 20:52
with the new Digital changeover due shortly is it worth my while investing in a DAB Radio? Will we be getting the likes of Magic, Planet Rock etc? or will we be stuck with the mainstream stations forever unless we invest in external aerials.

ducati
14-May-10, 06:21
with the new Digital changeover due shortly is it worth my while investing in a DAB Radio? Will we be getting the likes of Magic, Planet Rock etc? or will we be stuck with the mainstream stations forever unless we invest in external aerials.

I now have my car set up working perfectly :cool:

As long as the car doesn't move :eek:

emb123
14-May-10, 06:52
Last time I looked this was the story:

There will be NO digital switchover of radio for large areas of the Highlands.

There are NO plans to establish digital radio transmitters. It was decided by whoever (probably the BBC) that it would be too expensive to erect and install digital radio masts given the relatively low population base that it would be serving.

Analogue services will continue in Caithness and Sutherland in areas where there will be no digital radio.

DAB radio is great, if you can get it, but jm.mack, you may not get it here at all, if you get a poor signal then it will keep breaking up and stuttering which is even more annoying than a bit of hiss.

So whilst I am a huge fan of DAB radio ifrom my time living in a large town, if the signal is poor or non-existent then it would be wise not to bother with a DAB radio unless you live near Inverness, and then I'd suggest trying one from Argos first to see if you can actually find any signal.

Even in the Centre of Wick the only stations you might receive will be the BBC ones. Where I used to live I had about 60 radios stations on DAB.

You can check here to see what coverage you are likely to get.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/index.shtml#dabcoverage

Alice in Blunderland
14-May-10, 19:36

Must...resist...must resist........nooooooo...........

I cant ........................ JOX your boasting again :roll: :lol:

Bazeye
14-May-10, 19:50
I love my DAB radio, but even in a good coverage zone in Central London I need to be careful where I put it. I can't get it to work at the end of the garden, which is one of my favourite places to listen to the radio.

I cannot imagine a world where you can get good reception all over the hilly Highlands, not without a huge number of transmitters.

In London we listen to a lot of 'Pirate' radio, as far as I am aware these will continue to work on FM so there is life in it yet.

Perhaps that is the way forward for rural Scotland too.

Could be a good thing.

A croft subculture where the national broadcaster does not intrude, that appeals to me.

Feat. MC Lachie Jnr.

Commore
14-May-10, 20:02

Can you get freeview up here?

Anfield
14-May-10, 23:36
Can you get freeview up here?

Depends where you live. look at http://www.freeview.co.uk/ and enter your post code on PostCode checker.
I tried this and got message that I might be able to receive it I live in a rural area)
Sent Emails to big 3 in Thurso and received one reply , Alacam who seems to know what he is talking about, but is not 100% sure on whether rural areas will be enable to receive Freeview after Digital switchover.

I also contacted Moonboots who emailed me:

Hi Anfield,

I see that your in zzxzxzxz .. This area is quite bad on getting any signals.
Bascially i would suggest waiting until after the switchover to see if you would be able to get a signal.

I wish i could give you a better answer to your problem.

Theres no such thing as an analogue or digital aerial... All aerials will be able to receive some type of signal however to get a good signal then its best to get a high gain wideband aerial for where you are.. Thats if it makes any difference to the area that you live in after the switchover.

BT Vision is freeview based so you definately need a good signal from the aerial before the box will work correctly.

I am an aerial/satellite installer and run my own business "PR Electrical".
I charge £89 for a standard aerial install. This can be on the roof or wall.

I would make sure that you wouldnt be wasting your money to get an aerial installed until after the 2nd switchover date.

Hope this helps
Paul Reid

he is the guy I will be going to.

scorrie
14-May-10, 23:43
Even worse setting it up in the car, I can't see out the windscreen because of my 4.2 incher. :)

Post corrected ;)

emb123
15-May-10, 00:47
Post corrected ;)

you're cruel! lol