PDA

View Full Version : Building tesco

ice box
24-May-06, 14:47
Hi does anyone know when the work is to get under way for tesco thing have just seem to gone quite ?

willowbankbear
24-May-06, 17:25
Sooner the better, I look forward to the walk

Mr P Cannop
24-May-06, 17:36
its going to be ready for/by xmas

bagpuss
24-May-06, 21:49
Bulldozers are out there now

rainbow
24-May-06, 22:14
Heard that the builders are in Forres finishing off a Tesco there - once that is done it is straight up the A9/A99 to Wick to start work off.

Fran
24-May-06, 22:17
I didn't see anything going on there to-day, and nothing is being done with the Glass factory either. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_104.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

ice box
24-May-06, 22:27
Yes i never seen any life there today when i passed but it cant be long now .

angela5
24-May-06, 22:27
I didn't see anything going on there to-day, and nothing is being done with the Glass factory either. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_104.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

What's going into the Glass Factory.?

ice box
24-May-06, 22:29
There getting turned into unit for offices i think .

angela5
24-May-06, 22:30
There getting turned into unit for offices i think .

Is that not what's happening further out at the buisness park.?

Fran
25-May-06, 00:42
It is being made into offices and shops

98elite
25-May-06, 11:54
Heard that the builders are in Forres finishing off a Tesco there - once that is done it is straight up the A9/A99 to Wick to start work off.

Tesco in Forres has been finished for over a year now, maybe their taking the scenic route.

Chillie
25-May-06, 13:05
Tesco in Forres has been finished for over a year now, maybe their taking the scenic route.

I thought that myself.

Billy Boy
25-May-06, 13:08
did tesco say which chrismas they were opening,could be next year:lol:

ice box
25-May-06, 13:25
By the sound of thing it could be christmas 2007 the way there going

angela5
25-May-06, 14:05
did tesco say which chrismas they were opening,could be next year:lol:

very true, they never said.:lol:

rollerboy
25-May-06, 16:11
will it be 24 hour?

rollerboy
25-May-06, 16:13
i think its great cos its bring more jobs into the town as well GO wick so unemployed people have a chance to get jobs?

willowbankbear
25-May-06, 18:51
Ye of very little faith, be patient an it will appear. Rollerboy, ye never cease to amuse,sorry, amaze us with yer posts, always positive;)

Rheghead
25-May-06, 19:06
i think its great cos its bring more jobs into the town as well GO wick so unemployed people have a chance to get jobs?

250 jobs is a lot to fill from a population of 10,000, 2.5% by my reckoning. We may need to import some cheap law-abiding polish workers to fill the employment gap.;)

D'yer ken any?

willowbankbear
25-May-06, 19:18
He lives not in the Royal Burgh so who knows? I ken a few though,any up at reay Rheggers?

Rheghead
25-May-06, 20:19
Not a sausage in Reay but when they next come round selling their crumby sketches, I might suggest they might get richer working for Tescos in Wick.;)

connieb19
25-May-06, 20:21
Not a sausage in Reay but when they next come round selling their crumby sketches, I might suggest they might get richer working for Tescos in Wick.;)The ones who go around selling the pictures already do have jobs.

willowbankbear
25-May-06, 21:17
I heard they all wanna make creels & work in granny & grandad homes

connieb19
25-May-06, 21:20
I heard they all wanna make creels & work in granny & grandad homesAt least they want to work, unlike some lazy locals.[disgust]

sam
25-May-06, 21:33
At least they want to work, unlike some lazy locals.[disgust]quite right connie, atleast they want to work for a living unlike some who are more than happy to sit on the dole getting hand outs.
makes me sick when people have a pop at the polish

willowbankbear
25-May-06, 21:37
At least they want to work, unlike some lazy locals.[disgust]

be specific Connie, which locals?, I work so it aint me! Grrrrrr I ate the bait there[lol]

connieb19
25-May-06, 21:51
be specific Connie, which locals?, I work so it aint me! Grrrrrr I ate the bait there[lol]In fact, they're not stupid. Rent and council Tax paid, free prescriptions, free school dinners, free vets treatment for their pets. In fact I was even noticing that they ony have to pay 50p to et into the gym. I think I might become unemployed myself, what a life!! And they can afford to go out every weekend.[disgust]

angela5
26-May-06, 13:48
In fact, they're not stupid. Rent and council Tax paid, free prescriptions, free school dinners, free vets treatment for their pets. In fact I was even noticing that they ony have to pay 50p to et into the gym. I think I might become unemployed myself, what a life!! And they can afford to go out every weekend.[disgust]

Your right about the free rent, although they do pay some poltary amount towards council tax. Free school dinners and perscriptions yes, but when since have they been allowed free vets treatment? i don't think that's right! is it.?:confused

krieve
26-May-06, 15:24
I think they are allowed vets treatment at a cheaper rate but i don't think it is free but i could be wrong.

angela5
26-May-06, 15:44
I think they are allowed vets treatment at a cheaper rate but i don't think it is free but i could be wrong.

Because there was/is a problem with so many unwanted litters of kittens, the PDSA pay for your cat to get dressed. But is all of your pet care paid for.?

krieve
26-May-06, 15:46
Not sure Angela i don't know for sure but thats the way it used to be.

connieb19
26-May-06, 17:10
Because there was/is a problem with so many unwanted litters of kittens, the PDSA pay for your cat to get dressed. But is all of your pet care paid for.?The unemployed can join the PDSA, for £3 a year their pets get all the vetinary treatment required. Meanwhile us working people can hardly afford to have a pet.[disgust]

willowbankbear
26-May-06, 18:30
Pity Tesco`s dont sell pets:roll: as they`d be cheep(well the budgies would)

bagpuss
26-May-06, 23:11
Wasn't this about Tesco?

And was the rumour about the Caithness Glass building not that it was going to be a fast food complex- Macdonalds/KFC/Pizza Hut/Burger King and Subway?

A Baskin Robbins ice cream place would be nice- or a Starbucks

It does not take long to build a Tesco- it's a prefabricated arrangement- they're spreading up from Aberdeen -Inverness- hotly followed by Asda.

But when do we get a M&S?

Astra
26-May-06, 23:16
Wasn't this about Tesco?

And was the rumour about the Caithness Glass building not that it was going to be a fast food complex- Macdonalds/KFC/Pizza Hut/Burger King and Subway?

A Baskin Robbins ice cream place would be nice- or a Starbucks

It does not take long to build a Tesco- it's a prefabricated arrangement- they're spreading up from Aberdeen -Inverness- hotly followed by Asda.

But when do we get a M&S?I think we should wait and see if tesco arrives before dreaming of a marks and sparks

Fran
27-May-06, 00:22
The unemployed can join the PDSA, for £3 a year their pets get all the vetinary treatment required. Meanwhile us working people can hardly afford to have a pet.[disgust]

The PDSA scheme at the vets is not just for unemployed, its for anyone who is on housing or council tax benefit for whatever reason.

landmarker
27-May-06, 22:41
Without wanting to open a can of worms, don't any of you fear for local traders with all these chain stores opening up. You might moan about what you have now but at least it individualises you as a town. You might become as bland as the rest of Britain before too long. True, crisps and beans willl be dirt cheap but life might never be the same again. I relaise the jobs will be welcome but as an outsider might I be brave enough to sound a note of caution?

Oh, allright then.

Fran
27-May-06, 22:52
Hi does anyone know when the work is to get under way for tesco thing have just seem to gone quite ?

work is starting on wednesday. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_11_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

JimH
27-May-06, 22:55
Without wanting to open a can of worms, don't any of you fear for local traders with all these chain stores opening up. You might moan about what you have now but at least it individualises you as a town. You might become as bland as the rest of Britain before too long. True, crisps and beans willl be dirt cheap but life might never be the same again. I relaise the jobs will be welcome but as an outsider might I be brave enough to sound a note of caution?

Oh, allright then.
If you live up here you will learn that there is your time - normal time and Caithness time. NOTHING will ever change that.
THe same applies to the people - and it has been a great pleasure and experience to adopt to Caithness time.
They can build a supermarket on every corner - but it will not change Caithness - or it's people - and nor it should.

Rheghead
27-May-06, 22:58
Landy, I can see your point but like 99% of the rest of Britain I am only interested in cheap, good value products. And frankly, why should we lament the passing of those who haven't provided a good service in the past?

I see an opportunity for local traders to succeed here and the over powering message is 'Buck up or go under!'

landmarker
28-May-06, 14:55
Landy, I can see your point but like 99% of the rest of Britain I am only interested in cheap, good value products. And frankly, why should we lament the passing of those who haven't provided a good service in the past?

I see an opportunity for local traders to succeed here and the over powering message is 'Buck up or go under!'

fair doo's Rheghead. I bow to your geographical advantage and nouse.
landmarker.

scorrie
28-May-06, 15:20

This is contradictory nonsense. If you and 99% of Britain are only interested in cheap products then what opportunity is there for the local traders?

They can never hope to compete with a behemoth such as Tesco on price and it, therefore, will not matter if they are limbo dancing backwards to please the customer, two fingers will be extended and all the shopping will be done in Tescos.

Rheghead
28-May-06, 19:18
If you and 99% of Britain are only interested in cheap products then what opportunity is there for the local traders?

Companies always eventually take advantage of their good position in the market and eventually become uncompetitive, it is the natural law of commerce. There will always a niche in the market for the next entrepreneur.

scorrie
28-May-06, 19:34
Companies always eventually take advantage of their good position in the market and eventually become uncompetitive, it is the natural law of commerce. There will always a niche in the market for the next entrepreneur.

What on earth has this got to do with your previous, contradictory, post?

Please explain how a local business can overcome a scenario where 99% of the public are going to purchase based solely on price?

I'll do the math, you do the pizza ;o)

Rheghead
28-May-06, 19:40
Well for a starter for ten, local butchers can supply cheap meat because their suppliers can save on transport costs and pass on the saving to the customer.

scorrie
28-May-06, 21:45
Well for a starter for ten, local butchers can supply cheap meat because their suppliers can save on transport costs and pass on the saving to the customer.

That's not how it works Rheghead. Giants such as Tesco tell the butchers how much the meat is going to be!! The bigger the customer the more you have to kowtow, or in this case cowtow, to them. Anyway,Tesco will be running humungous lorries up here all the time, why would extra butcher meat make more than a tiny difference in the scheme of their transport costs?

When Tesco runs buy-one-get-one-free offers they go to the supplier and tell them "Right, for the next three weeks you will sell us twice as much product for the same money, so that we can run our promotion"

If the supplier says no, then Tesco say "bye-bye, we'll go elsewhere then"

Do your research on how many butchers there used to be in Inverness and how many there are now.

ice box
28-May-06, 21:54
That's not how it works Rheghead. Giants such as Tesco tell the butchers how much the meat is going to be!! The bigger the customer the more you have to kowtow, or in this case cowtow, to them. Anyway,Tesco will be running humungous lorries up here all the time, why would extra butcher meat make more than a tiny difference in the scheme of their transport costs?

When Tesco runs buy-one-get-one-free offers they go to the supplier and tell them "Right, for the next three weeks you will sell us twice as much product for the same money, so that we can run our promotion"

If the supplier says no, then Tesco say "bye-bye, we'll go elsewhere then"

Do your research on how many butchers there used to be in Inverness and how many there are now.Tesco are hoping to be running the good by rail .

bagpuss
28-May-06, 22:11
I think the writing is really on the wall for Wick- and in 2 years time Thurso. Tesco and Asda spook even their big rivals- they challenge Homebase on garden products etc. While we have the chains like Woolies, Boots and Mackays, the majority of the shops are family businesses, and rely on family members taking over. The retail park supermarkets drain the trade from the town centres, and a hard working traffic warden can kill passing trade in just a week.

Let's take Fairways for example. Ernie is not in the first flush of youth, and he only has a middle aged daughter- who is a teacher. He really lives for his business- go to him with a request for tangerine curtains and he'll source them no bother at all. On the other hand, while she does his windows, I don't see her chucking up her job to make sure the locals can get their curtains if she thinks trade is dying off. Cormacks the jeweller, Gunn's the shoe shop, Hugo the fishing shop, Cameo jeweller, Turners, the wool shop, the Reel thing, Gail's gifts, McAllans' paint shop etc. So when we all applaud the nice new store out of town, let's give a thought for what won't be here in a year or two. You can only keep the local businesses if you use them. The clock is already ticking. Yup, I'm as bad as anyone else- I spend too much time and money at the retail park, but when the day comes that I want my watch mended or I need new curtains and there's nowhere to get such service, I'll be the first to yell.

engiebenjy
28-May-06, 22:24
Fair do's to tesco. I for one look forward to them (and asda) coming north so that I no longer have to pay inflated prices for goods because companies think that we are 'past the highlands', and see fit to charge us a fortune. I think it's going to be interesting when the tesco petrol statiom opens.[lol]

celtic 302
28-May-06, 22:31
Your right about the free rent, although they do pay some poltary amount towards council tax. Free school dinners and perscriptions yes, but when since have they been allowed free vets treatment? i don't think that's right! is it.?:confused

I thought the vets was privately owned??? if so why would they give cheaper/free treatment??? could be wrong.[disgust]

connieb19
28-May-06, 22:32
I thought the vets was privately owned??? if so why would they give cheaper/free treatment??? could be wrong.[disgust]It's on the PDSA scheme.

angela5
28-May-06, 22:35
I thought the vets was privately owned??? if so why would they give cheaper/free treatment??? could be wrong.[disgust]

It was'nt me that said they give free/cheaper treatment. I'm as confused as you on that one.:confused

celtic 302
28-May-06, 22:37
I think the writing is really on the wall for Wick- and in 2 years time Thurso. Tesco and Asda spook even their big rivals- they challenge Homebase on garden products etc. While we have the chains like Woolies, Boots and Mackays, the majority of the shops are family businesses, and rely on family members taking over. The retail park supermarkets drain the trade from the town centres, and a hard working traffic warden can kill passing trade in just a week.

Let's take Fairways for example. Ernie is not in the first flush of youth, and he only has a middle aged daughter- who is a teacher. He really lives for his business- go to him with a request for tangerine curtains and he'll source them no bother at all. On the other hand, while she does his windows, I don't see her chucking up her job to make sure the locals can get their curtains if she thinks trade is dying off. Cormacks the jeweller, Gunn's the shoe shop, Hugo the fishing shop, Cameo jeweller, Turners, the wool shop, the Reel thing, Gail's gifts, McAllans' paint shop etc. So when we all applaud the nice new store out of town, let's give a thought for what won't be here in a year or two. You can only keep the local businesses if you use them. The clock is already ticking. Yup, I'm as bad as anyone else- I spend too much time and money at the retail park, but when the day comes that I want my watch mended or I need new curtains and there's nowhere to get such service, I'll be the first to yell.

How can you say that huge companies WANTING to expand in wick is a bad thing??? surely it shows that wick is a place off interested to other people???

and i personally will be glad when the big companies come, 'cos then i wont be getting ripped-off by the local businesses. If u look around and see how many are dropping there prices, it shows that they know there prices are too high, and anyone who complains at getting cheaper cloths etc.. is a nutcase.

finally, petrol. the difference between tesco petrol and the local shell or watever it is nowadays!!! is quite phenominal. And im glad that it isnt up to you to decide whether tesco's come or not!!![evil] [disgust]

COACHMAN
28-May-06, 22:47
Fair do's to tesco. I for one look forward to them (and asda) coming north so that I no longer have to pay inflated prices for goods because companies think that we are 'past the highlands', and see fit to charge us a fortune. I think it's going to be interesting when the tesco petrol statiom opens.[lol]
TESCO PETROL WILL BE ONE TENTH OF A PENNY CHEAPER THAN THE HIGHEST PRICED SITE IN THE AREA.JUST LOOK AT HUNTLY ONLY 1 TENTH OF A PENNY LOWER.
THEY WILL HAVE TO COVER THE PETROL COSTS TO GET IT FROM INVERNESS.
PETROL
WAS AVAILABLE IN CAITHNESS TODAY AT .£1.00 ALITRE AND DERV AT 99.9 :Razz A LITRE

willowbankbear
28-May-06, 22:56
Hugo e fishing shop, Cameo jeweller, Turners, the wool shop, the Reel thing, Gail's gifts, McAllans' paint shop etc. So when we all applaud the nice new store out of town, let's give a thought for what won't be here in a year or two. You can only keep the local businesses if you use them. The clock is already ticking. Yup, I'm as bad as anyone else- I spend too much time and money at the retail park, but when the day comes that I want my watch mended or I need new curtains and there's nowhere to get such service, I'll be the first to yell.[/quote]

Did I miss something Bagpuss? Do Tesco do Fishing tackle? Its new to me, but the Internet does it cheaper than either,I will still go to Hugo`s for my hooks & reels as he does give some good advice, although I think Ill be asking Krieve for tips as she was snapper yesterday Im told[lol] Wheres our cod then Krieve?

ice box
28-May-06, 23:11
Come on stone roses were will you get something cheap out of hugo's .. his mackeral rig are £2 a peace you can make them for half of that i never by out of there i always take mine from the G.A.C far cheaper last year went in for samlon fly's 3 cost me £ 9 squid went on line got 20 for a tenner thats with p&p

JAWS
28-May-06, 23:26
Tesco and other Supermarkets opened in my home town about fifty years ago. The same sad sorry predictions of devastation were told then as they are now.
In 2000 the own was still there and thriving. Just like Inverness it became a Millennium City. That's some demise.

People quite happily go to Woolies and Marks and Sparks and think nothing of it.
I've no doubt that when the "New Fangled Department Stores", opened long before Tesco and Asda were even thought of, somebody was predicting the end of Civilisation as we know it.

One of my old neighbours, many years ago, was one of the last people who could make "Hand Made Clogs" in Britain. He was so uniqhe that they even did a story about him on TV when he retired. Anybody want to weep because they can't get "Hand Made Clogs" anymore?

Next time you go into your local bakery ask them which local miller provides their flour. Next time you buy clothes ask which local taylor made them. How many shirt-makers are there left in Caithness?
Where are the weavers who make the cloth for your clothes? Are there any weavers in Caithness producing the local Tartans? Where are the people who could even gather the local plants to make the dyes for the local Tartans?

All those things were essential in their day and their loss was probably much bemoaned all those years ago, but who misses them now?

How will we live now they are lost? Anybody growing Woad any more?

bagpuss
29-May-06, 10:18
How can you say that huge companies WANTING to expand in wick is a bad thing??? surely it shows that wick is a place off interested to other people???

and i personally will be glad when the big companies come, 'cos then i wont be getting ripped-off by the local businesses. If u look around and see how many are dropping there prices, it shows that they know there prices are too high, and anyone who complains at getting cheaper cloths etc.. is a nutcase.

finally, petrol. the difference between tesco petrol and the local shell or watever it is nowadays!!! is quite phenominal. And im glad that it isnt up to you to decide whether tesco's come or not!!![evil] [disgust]

Okay Celtic 302. Point taken. However, do me a favour. Look at any high street in any town across the UK, and you will see a clone town. The same shops appear in every place and they remain open while they meet their sales targets. And you are part of that target.

If you look at the high streets in Europe- and that includes Ireland, they still manage to support their local businesses: bakers, butchers, jewellers etc.
My gripe is not about the big guns opening up here- it's with the town centre remaining open and viable- I for one quite like Mackays- but the ladies who work there are very distressed because they are under threat of closure if they fail to meet their targets. They've been hit badly by the new retail park stores- and if they close down, no-one is likely to take the buidling over- not even another chain store if they fear the centre is no longer viable.

As to your petrol comment- fair enough. But Tesco will not drop the price significantly lower- nor will they provide buses for those folk who don't have a car to get there. Add your taxi on to your shopping bill- even with free delivery for your shopping, and you'll not benefit that much.

I can tell you are a tad disgusted with me. But while I welcome other companies being interested in Wick, I don't want to pass through a no go area of town centre shops boarded up and graffittied on my way from Homebase to Tesco.

bagpuss
29-May-06, 10:21
Get a life Jaws

No-one can halt progress or what passes for it- that by the way includes lack of facilities like dentists ,out of hours doctors (although tesco promise to have an NHS "4 bod stationed at every supermarket, don't they?)

I just don't want a boarded up no go zone in the centre of town. Wick's bad enough as it is!

Tesco and other Supermarkets opened in my home town about fifty years ago. The same sad sorry predictions of devastation were told then as they are now.
In 2000 the own was still there and thriving. Just like Inverness it became a Millennium City. That's some demise.

People quite happily go to Woolies and Marks and Sparks and think nothing of it.
I've no doubt that when the "New Fangled Department Stores", opened long before Tesco and Asda were even thought of, somebody was predicting the end of Civilisation as we know it.

One of my old neighbours, many years ago, was one of the last people who could make "Hand Made Clogs" in Britain. He was so uniqhe that they even did a story about him on TV when he retired. Anybody want to weep because they can't get "Hand Made Clogs" anymore?

Next time you go into your local bakery ask them which local miller provides their flour. Next time you buy clothes ask which local taylor made them. How many shirt-makers are there left in Caithness?
Where are the weavers who make the cloth for your clothes? Are there any weavers in Caithness producing the local Tartans? Where are the people who could even gather the local plants to make the dyes for the local Tartans?

All those things were essential in their day and their loss was probably much bemoaned all those years ago, but who misses them now?

How will we live now they are lost? Anybody growing Woad any more?

Kingetter
29-May-06, 10:42
So-called 'extra' costs of bringing goods up to Caithness is a bit of a myth. Whatever extra expense there might be can be written off when set against income tax - 'legitimate business expenses' - with some 'creative accountancy', like advertising for instance.