PDA

View Full Version : Wallander on BBC4

kmahon2001
28-Mar-10, 21:57
Anyone else here watch Wallander? - not the ultra-depressing, I-feel-like committing-suicide-after-watching-just-half-an-hour-of-it Kenneth Brannagh rip-off, I mean the Swedish version with English subtitles.

Normally I wouldn't give foreign language programmes a second glance, but I started watching this one (for some reason I can't even remember) when BBC4 ran the first series last year, and I got hooked. Last night was the first part of Series 2 and it's well worth a watch, particularly if you got suicidal watching Kenneth Brannagh moping around through his version.

jings00
28-Mar-10, 22:46
It's really good eh? I won't miss the proper one, have flicked the channels and thought it was on, only to find it was the Brannagh boy, ptooey!!!

kmahon2001
28-Mar-10, 23:04
It's really good eh? I won't miss the proper one, have flicked the channels and thought it was on, only to find it was the Brannagh boy, ptooey!!!

BBC4 Saturday night at 9pm-ish, I think it is.

jings00
28-Mar-10, 23:05
Lol aye, I caught it last night, sad git that I am...text my brother in London to say it was on just as he was texting me.

northener
29-Mar-10, 09:41
I must say that i do like the KB version. Haven't seen the original one yet.

John Little
29-Mar-10, 09:51
My wife likes the KB version - she does like a bit of angst.
I prefer the Org when it's on...

Angela
29-Mar-10, 09:58
I far prefer the original Swedish version -watched all the last series and was looking forward to the new one.

I watched Saturday's episode and overall I liked it, but it'll be hard for me to get used to the loss of two characters from the last series -one character's onscreen suicide and very sadly the real life suicide of the young actress who played Linda. And to get used to three new characters appearing all at once -it changes the whole dynamic.

It'll be interesting to see how the series develops....

kmahon2001
29-Mar-10, 10:31
I far prefer the original Swedish version -watched all the last series and was looking forward to the new one.

I watched Saturday's episode and overall I liked it, but it'll be hard for me to get used to the loss of two characters from the last series -one character's onscreen suicide and very sadly the real life suicide of the young actress who played Linda. And to get used to three new characters appearing all at once -it changes the whole dynamic.

It'll be interesting to see how the series develops....

I must admit, Stephan's suicide was very well handled in the first series, but his character had begun to irritate me anyway - always sulking and throwing tantrums. Was very sad about the Johanna Sallstrom.

I did like the way three of the original characters started to gel last night. Wallander himself plus Nyberg and Martinsson all seem much more relaxed in themselves and seem to get along really well. Also, Svartman got much more of a part than usual, and he's a good solid character.

I'm not sure about the new characters either - the new boss may be ok, but that new female uniformed officer annoyed me last night - fresh out of training school and expecting to be "in the thick of it" right from the start and accusing Wallander of being sexist just because he wouldn't initially involver her in the investigation - even though other female uniformed officers were simply on crowd control and not part of the investigation. :roll: I suppose she's meant to be a replacement for Linda, but so far she's nowhere near as likeable - she's got way too big a chip on her shoulder.

Shabbychic
29-Mar-10, 14:25
I too prefer the Swedish version. It's great that we have another 13 episodes. Did anyone watch the Italian series, Inspector Montalbano, that BBC4 ran last year. It too was excellent. I hope they run more of those too.