PDA

View Full Version : would you?

brandy
28-Mar-10, 19:14
a bit morbid but was reading a thing in the news the other day about children who had lost their parent/s and it was going on about how they delt with loss ect... one thing was that they said.. they did a poll and like 78 percent i think it was... when asked said yes to the following question.. would you give up a year of your life for one more hour with a loss loved one.
i was really surprised it wasnt more.. but thats people for you.. so i thought i would ask on here and see what the results were.....

DeHaviLand
28-Mar-10, 20:11
a bit morbid but was reading a thing in the news the other day about children who had lost their parent/s and it was going on about how they delt with loss ect... one thing was that they said.. they did a poll and like 78 percent i think it was... when asked said yes to the following question.. would you give up a year of your life for one more hour with a loss loved one.
i was really surprised it wasnt more.. but thats people for you.. so i thought i would ask on here and see what the results were.....

2 years of my life for an hour with my Aunt Grace and Uncle Peter? No brainer. I'd give it all up just to see them again!! Interesting thread, looking forward to the replies. TY.

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-10, 20:12
I didn't see the programme, but I feel that if I need to spend some time or talk to a lost loved one, then it's possible to have a few moments of quiet reflection.

the programme sounds like it could be a good reminder to us all, (now), to love and show appreciation to all people that are around us,(now).... My answer, was no.

Yoda the flump
28-Mar-10, 20:25
No I would not.

Life moves on, you cannot live in the past, you have to live for today and the future.

I lost my father at an early age and I know that he would want me to live for my family now and not try and regain something that I can never.

Young children are somewhat more accepting of a situation than adults and teenagers are. They deal with a lost parent better than they are given credit for.

joxville
28-Mar-10, 21:36
As Yoda said, kids deal with death better than adults. My dad died when I was aged 7, my mum when I was 29; my mums death hit me harder. However, as much as I miss them both, I wouldn't give up a year of my life to have them for one more day, I'd be denying the living a year of my sparkling wit and companionship. :)

joxville
28-Mar-10, 21:39
I'd rather have my son for that extra year than my parents for a day.

Yoda the flump
28-Mar-10, 21:55
I'd rather have my son for that extra year than my parents for a day.

Completely agree, I would rather have an extra year with my children than with my parents.

Julia
28-Mar-10, 22:16
Initially I was leaning to yes but then I'd be depriving my children of their Mama so it's a straight forward no. If I didn't have children I'd say yes.

Thought provoking though!

Bobinovich
28-Mar-10, 22:35
Completely agree, I would rather have an extra year with my children than with my parents.

Ditto for me too.

brandy
29-Mar-10, 10:42
wow, what a mixed group.. its pretty much even as well!! now remember it dosent have to be a parent or an sibling.. could be a spouse or child that you would be trading a year away for.

Olin
29-Mar-10, 12:52
What good would it do? What if you ended up meeting that person and it made you miss them more than ever? That could potentially ruin the rest of your life?

brandy
29-Mar-10, 13:13
one word.. closure

Olin
29-Mar-10, 14:03
Closure?

Well I look at it this way. Time is something you CANT give back. And to trade 1 years worth for 1 hour is ridiculous imo. And I know you can't get the person you would spend the time with back but that's just life?

Oh and in case your wondering your 1 hour would be being traded for 8760 hours btw lol

brandy
29-Mar-10, 14:33
saying that, for someone who has lost everything.. and that one person who meant more to them that life itself it would be worth it.. not to everyone but to some.. thats why there are two answers on the poll... i wouldnt give anything to see my lost loved ones one last time, but i would give a lot... i speak to them everyday and find comfort in the thought that they here me.. i just wish sometimes that i could hear them back.
one of my greatest regrets is that i never heard tom cry or see him open his eyes and smile. i would gladly give a year of my life to have an hour with my little boy again.
just because i never had that hour to begin with.. would it hurt.. oh god yes, would it rip me apart to have to let him go again.. more than you could ever imagine.. if someone came to me right now and said.. i will give you your little boy back for one hour.. he will be whole and healthy.. and you can say and do all the things you never had a chance in that one hour.. but at the end of it.. he will be gone again and you will never see him this side again. the pain will be like no other.. you will go thru the pain and suffering you have already withstood for just an measly 60 min.. will you do it? in a heart beat.. but that is just my personall opinion.. some may not think like that or feel that way and i respect their choices.. it may just be to hard.. and be that straw that broke the camels back.. but for me i would grab on with both hands and not let go til they tore him away from me.

Olin
29-Mar-10, 14:43
See I probably am being rather insensitive on this thread and its due to the fact I have never lost anyone close.

I also have a weird view on life about mourning because I don't think a death should take away life from someone still here?

Im sorry if I am seen as being a weiner but that's just my views!

brandy
29-Mar-10, 14:51
nahh your fine hun! thats why we have opinions.. it would suck for everyone to think the same way. where im from funerals try not to be dour but more upbeat.. a celebration of the life that has passed. its the people who are left behind that suffer not the ones who have gone on.. life is meant to be lived... but at the same time we should remember the ones who have already lived their lives and touched ours.

horseman
29-Mar-10, 14:58
I would grab it with both hands.
I would smother Mum with kisses.
Cuddle Dad to bits.
Know that is two options, an there are many more, but without hesitation they or that would be my first.
My kids have grown up an moved on.
An g/children to,so it is memories now.

Bazeye
30-Mar-10, 08:37
How can you give up a year of your life when you dont know when youre going to die?

onecalledk
30-Mar-10, 15:15
How can you give up a year of your life when you dont know when youre going to die?

A very good question. I firmly believe that we decide before we arrive here on earth how long we are staying and what our life purpose is. When we are born into this life we spend that life finding out why we are here, our life's purpose.

To start meddling with this life by giving a year to obtain an hour we would invalidate that life purpose. We are all here for a purpose. People who have passed over have either completed their purpose or feel they cannot complete this time round.

We are but a veil apart from our loved ones. We join them again when we also pass over. Just because we cannot SEE our love ones does not mean that they cannot see us ,hear us or feel us.

Personal opinion and not one that is probably agreed with but one that is my truth. I lost my father at when I was 14yrs of age and my mother when I was 36yrs of age. My mother and father are but a breath away. Young children deal with death so much better than adults as they are not conditioned like adults are that death is a final end and seek to change this.

K