PDA

View Full Version : Time out of sync?

bekisman
28-Mar-10, 17:43
Out of sync?

my PC has automatically changed it's time to British Summer time - I send emails to myself and they come back with the correct time - save for a few second, BUT when I send to a friend 20 miles away, they tell me my email gives a time an hour later i.e. I send at 17.15 and it shows there at 18.15? any suggestions? :(

charlie
29-Mar-10, 10:33
Excellent. Do you think William Hills might accept your bookies line by this method? :)

This will be caused by the ISP or mail server settings (nothing to do with you) being set at Greenwich Mean Time. Perhaps also your friend is using a web mail client which is still set at GMT

Its not a local PC setting

You may have noticed e mails in the past received with American Time zone stamps on them usually from hotmail or yahoo. The same reason will apply

Phill
29-Mar-10, 12:11
I send emails to myself and they come back with the correct time

Why you emailing yourself?
Sign of madness that is, I bet your arguing wiv yersel too!!

:cool:

RecQuery
29-Mar-10, 13:15
Out of sync?

my PC has automatically changed it's time to British Summer time - I send emails to myself and they come back with the correct time - save for a few second, BUT when I send to a friend 20 miles away, they tell me my email gives a time an hour later i.e. I send at 17.15 and it shows there at 18.15? any suggestions? :(

Thats probably because an e-mail to yourself isn't travelling the whole way through the server, just being delivered to a local mailbox. Assuming its not with another account somewhere else.

If you want to know for sure post the e-mail headers (but remove your address, name etc)

Just google for [name of the program] view headers So:

Outlook Express view headers
Outlook 2003 view headers
Windows mail view headers etc

EDIT: It could be just a lazy or stupid sysadmin it may resolve itself in a few days.

bekisman
31-Mar-10, 16:53
Why you emailing yourself?
Sign of madness that is, I bet your arguing wiv yersel too!!

:cool:
aye, tis terrible the things I send to myself, I'll have to stop :lol: Problem seems sorted now - seems it was 'that' end. Thanks for advice folks