PDA

View Full Version : An allegory

John Little
28-Mar-10, 16:40
The French sentries peered down the street. Rain lashed into their faces from the dark November night and over the single coil of barbed wire across the road. The guns on either side fell silent and as their eyes strained into the gloom a car was heard, and headlights flashed. The French officer shone a torch and answered the flashes and a car bearing four German diplomats came slowly down the pave.

'Vos Papiers' demanded the officer as the Germans nervously handed over their credentials. 'Passe'- he said and waved them on. As they passed a sentry spat on the car - no-one said anything. The guns began again.

Three hours later, somewhere in the Forest of Compiegne, with tears running down their cheeks, the Germans signed the document handed to them. The arguing, the fighting, all dispute was now over, decided by force of arms

At 11.00am three days later, the church bells began to sound. British cavalry charged over a bridge they wanted to take just in case the fighting started again, hunting Germans like mice into the alleyways. In the air men were shot down and crashed after the bells had sounded the hour. All along the western front men stopped killing. In most places the troops sat in their dugouts staring into space; they had made it. No wild parties, no whooping or hollering, just an exhausted stare and a stunned awareness of silence.

Then a gun fired.
And another.
And another.
Telephones whirred into action. Who was disobeying the Armistice ceasefire order?

The explosions were from the American sector - were the Germans launching one last desperate sneak attack?

No.

It appeared that some American gunners wanted to be able to say that they had fired the last shot in the war of 1914-1918. Even after telephoned orders from HQ came thought they still carried on popping and officers had to go to each battery and give direct orders, threatening courts martial before the final gun sounded at 11.17am.

The threads of the Great war ended.

John Little
28-Mar-10, 19:07
Anybody ever meet anyone who did not know when to stop shooting?

Cattach
28-Mar-10, 20:54

No but I do know someone who should stopped writing early on in his first post - never read long posts as they are usually by people indulgingthemselves rather than contibuting to the general good.

John Little
28-Mar-10, 21:18
Well if you don't usually read long posts it's damned nice of you to read mine. Thankyou.

Do you think we should not indulge ourselves here then?

Every post should contribute to the general good?

joxville
28-Mar-10, 21:19
No but I do know someone who should stopped writing early on in his first post - never read long posts as they are usually by people indulgingthemselves rather than contibuting to the general good.

Or read by people with the attention span of a gnat. :roll:

Just because you aren't interested in what was posted by John, there was no need for your sort of contribution. John was simply starting a thread which was different to the usual crap on here, (most of which is by me), to garner others thoughts on a terrible time in our history, so if you ain't interested, move along, there's plenty of other threads for you to read.

Moira
28-Mar-10, 21:32

Not personally John.

My husband gave up taking the "spoils" of his duck-shooting expeditions home when I refused to have anything to do with it but I guess that is not what you mean. :)

Interesting thread......

John Little
28-Mar-10, 21:50
I benefitted by that last year. There's a woman I know whose husband went out duck shooting and sent them to some company that removes the shot and vacuum packed them - and he put them in the freezer. She would not touch them, gave them to me and would not speak to him for 3 days.
Nor would his kids.

But the ducks were nice - he didn't go shooting again though.

Moira
28-Mar-10, 22:06
Similar story here. Hubby's friend hung them, plucked them & froze them. I still refused to cook them. Anyhow, I didn't mean to take your thread off-topic so I'll bow out now. :)

John Little
28-Mar-10, 22:10
Oh you are not off topic - it is an allegory after all. People may take those however they wish.

I love shooting myself - not killing things. I did that when I was 12 and did not like it. Just the buzz of aiming at a target and taking out the bull.

But once the target is destroyed, the point of firing more eludes me.

bekisman
28-Mar-10, 23:11

I think I know one ;)

Moira
28-Mar-10, 23:21
Oh you are not off topic - it is an allegory after all. People may take those however they wish.

I love shooting myself - not killing things. I did that when I was 12 and did not like it. Just the buzz of aiming at a target and taking out the bull.

But once the target is destroyed, the point of firing more eludes me.

Yes I agree. I find adopting one blind eye and one deaf ear helps.

Anfield
28-Mar-10, 23:37

You mean like this:

Where are the Thurso Councillors?

As someone who has lived and work in both Wick and Thurso I have no interest in getting involved in inter-town rivalry but one has to ask what are our Thurso councillors and CASE doing due alleviate the run down in work on the west side of the county.

The councillors have done nothing and indeed their impact has been thoroughly negative at the time of the Asda application and since then silence and in activity.

CASE have succeeded in going as long way to finance a move by Ashley Ann from Thurso to Wick. Inner investment to an established company rather than a new business. And from what I heard little chance of new employment locally. Indeed it is very likely it will make the unemployment situation worse as I know that quite a number of the Ashley ann employees from Thurso are going to be unable to travel for the long term.

CASE should be encouraged new business both locally and from outside and not financing a private individual with a sound business though monetary and premises incentives.

Nothing against Wick developments – far from it - great to see. Just a pity the West Side councillors are not proactive and that CASE is proactive in the wrong business direction.

Moira
28-Mar-10, 23:46
Anfield, having made your point about Cattach, what's your take on John Little's thread?

ducati
29-Mar-10, 08:27
I love shooting myself

I too love shooting myself, but the constant visits to A & E became tedious and coursed concern

John Little
29-Mar-10, 09:27
LMAO!!!!:Razz

horseman
29-Mar-10, 16:26
At last I have a post I can read.What the hell was it?

Cattach
29-Mar-10, 22:05
Well if you don't usually read long posts it's damned nice of you to read mine. Thankyou.

Do you think we should not indulge ourselves here then?

Every post should contribute to the general good?

I didn't read it.

John Little
29-Mar-10, 22:07
Yet you comment.

Cattach
29-Mar-10, 22:08
Anfield, having made your point about Cattach, what's your take on John Little's thread?

Do not she made any point. My post was quite short compared with Little's. Long posts are a wast of time as few people read them.

John Little
29-Mar-10, 22:08
Some read.
None are forced.

rich
29-Mar-10, 22:12
maybe your evil twin, John Long, is at work

John Little
29-Mar-10, 22:16
LOL - you may be right.

It's curious though - that actually is how the war ended- even to the sentry spitting on the car. It seems in the nature of some that they just do not know when to stop- and it's not unique either.

I met a very old Scot years ago who told me how they chose the unknown soldier for Westminster Abbey - and the official version is rubbish- unless he was bullshitting me - but I doubt it.

fred
29-Mar-10, 22:23
Some read.
None are forced.

I read them and I enjoy them.

John Little
29-Mar-10, 22:27
Well actually Fred I like yours too - you make life interesting

fred
29-Mar-10, 22:43

May you live in interesting times :)

John Little
29-Mar-10, 22:45
Now that is one ancient Greek curse I hope not to fulfill!

fred
29-Mar-10, 23:05
Now that is one ancient Greek curse I hope not to fulfill!

Back on topic I don't know about the last shot but my grandfather was actually in Flanders when the first shot of the First World War was fired. He made it as far as Wolverhampton before the second shot was fired but they caught him and sent him back.

Aaldtimer
30-Mar-10, 03:57
..."Do not she made any point."...Eh?:confused

northener
30-Mar-10, 08:10
Back on topic I don't know about the last shot but my grandfather was actually in Flanders when the first shot of the First World War was fired. He made it as far as Wolverhampton before the second shot was fired but they caught him and sent him back.

[lol]

My great great grandfather was killed at the battle of Little Big Horn.

He wasn't with the 7th Cavalry, he was camping in the next valley and went over to complain about the noise.......

Yeah, I know, it's ancient.

Back on topic (ish), if someone feels passionately about something, then they'll be very reluctant to 'cease fire'.

But then there's the ones that are just idiots.

Do you think this post getting a bit long?:D

John Little
30-Mar-10, 09:21
Yes! :eek: I fear it may be.

John Little
31-Mar-10, 22:11
"Gad Carruthers it's awfy quiet in the Org tonight."

"Yes Fanshawe- too damned quiet."

"Do you think .... that they are planning something?"

"Could be - turn out the guard - there's a good chap.."

Moira
31-Mar-10, 23:26
I read them and I enjoy them.

Oh my goodness, this is not a true Allegory, 'tis a Fred/John Little Appreciation Society lol....

..."Do not she made any point."...Eh?
I did wonder about that but decided to hush my mouth for once.

Do you think this post getting a bit long?
Yes.
:D

John Little
01-Apr-10, 11:18
LOL- less of the appreciation society Moira! Any good curry needs spice; without some of the interjections by people with strong views threads could get very bland. I am glad we all do not agree.

And whatever anyone else thinks of other's posts, just think - Fred makes for a very interesting thread. I might disagree with a lot of what he says but I do think the Org is lucky to have him.

Of course there is no need for name calling and snark but robust views and heightened emotion make for good and enjoyable debate.

Dontcha think?

John Little
01-Apr-10, 21:23
I have just seen someone on another thread give a neat rebuttal to what someone else said. There was no snark or sarcasm and it was very elegantly done.

Good disagreement is a fine thing to see and offers the same enjoyment as spectator sport.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the other person will come back - and the exchange will be entertaining.

Am I wrong to enjoy this - as if watching a good contest between two Sumo wrestlers?

Ricco
02-Apr-10, 08:37
You mean like this:

Ha, ha! Well put. Anfield. Touche, as they say. :lol:

northener
02-Apr-10, 09:27
I have just seen someone on another thread give a neat rebuttal to what someone else said. There was no snark or sarcasm and it was very elegantly done.

Good disagreement is a fine thing to see and offers the same enjoyment as spectator sport.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the other person will come back - and the exchange will be entertaining.

Am I wrong to enjoy this - as if watching a good contest between two Sumo wrestlers?

Absolutely not.

Vive la difference...as some furrin' bloke said. Otherwise the whole place would dissolve into a puke inducing mush of faux friendliness and endless sychophancy

Without confrontation there will be no entertainment value at all. These places are like watching TV, there's information, confrontation, entertainment and the downright bonkers - you just have to choose which 'channels' you want to watch and try to avoid turning into "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

BTW I once stopped overnight in a hotel in Tunbridge Wells, what they neglected to tell us in the Tourist Info is that the large Victorian hotel was also being used as a Nursing Home for the elderly. Stunk of pish.

So I was "Disgusted in Tunbridge Wells" that night......

John Little
02-Apr-10, 10:22
Oh yes - Tunbridge Wells is much over-rated in all departments. The spa water tastes disgusting, the shops are over-priced, as is property and it's inhabited by chavs.

Frankly I'd rather be sniffing the clean North Sea breeze around Keiss for example.

northener
02-Apr-10, 12:50
Oh yes - Tunbridge Wells is much over-rated in all departments. The spa water tastes disgusting, the shops are over-priced, as is property and it's inhabited by chavs.

Frankly I'd rather be sniffing the clean North Sea breeze around Keiss for example.

TW isn't as bad as Leysdown though, John. I had the misfortune to be the assistant manager at Mr B's Amusements in Leysdown many years ago. I liked the Isle of Sheppey and was a damn sight happier when we moved up to Eastchurch - nice village.

The Harty Ferry Inn on Sheppey rated as one of the best pubs I've ever been in, too. I'd regularly walk the 7 miles around the coast and across the marshes for a night out there...or if i was feeling lazy pushbike it the 5 miles by road. I know many of the ditches intimately in that area......:Razz

But, yeah, Keiss is where it's at, man.

Moira
02-Apr-10, 22:06
LOL- less of the appreciation society Moira! Any good curry needs spice; without some of the interjections by people with strong views threads could get very bland. I am glad we all do not agree <snip>
Of course there is no need for name calling and snark but robust views<snip>
Dontcha think?

Sorry John, no offence intended. The mutual admiration between you and Fred in the middle of this thread just struck my "funny bone" at the time. I agree wholeheartedly that variety is the spice of life. :)
I'm not familiar with the word "snark" but I do realise the meaning so I would agree with that too.

I'm just grateful that no-one popped up here declaring that they suffered from a nut allegory.

Anyone for Casablanca? :D

John Little
02-Apr-10, 22:30
Moira - none taken!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snark

Casablanca...

Of all da gin joints and bars in all da woyld she had ta walk into mine.

Play it again Sam....

Moira
02-Apr-10, 22:48
John, I do understand the meaning of "snark" - it's just not a word I'm familiar with or would have used, until now...

Anyhow, back on topic,
“Louis, (John) (whoever) I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

Who's buying the drams and dinna' be snarking about it...... ?

fred
03-Apr-10, 11:08
John, I do understand the meaning of "snark" - it's just not a word I'm familiar with or would have used, until now...

Then if you understand the nature of the snark you will understand why so many posts to this forum start with "I don't usually agree with fred but...", you will understand that people want to be a Cowboy not an Indian, one of the hunters not the hunted.

You will understand why someone not minding being associated with me came as such a surprise to you you felt it was worthy of comment.

Moira
03-Apr-10, 17:59
Fred, my earlier post was not intended to offend you in any way and I thought I'd already explained that adequately. If not I deeply, humbly, apologise.

My dire attempt at "flirting" with John Little was also rejected. I am devastated.;)

Alice in Blunderland
03-Apr-10, 18:12
My dire attempt at "flirting" with John Little was also rejected. I am devastated.;)

Ah well its back to trying your hand with Weeboyagee then ........ :lol: ;)

Moira
03-Apr-10, 18:30
I think I might require professional help Alice.

Are you acquaint with a Doctor I could practise my skills on? ;)

Alice in Blunderland
03-Apr-10, 18:36
Are you acquaint with a Doctor I could practise my skills on?

Well just by chance I think I might just know one..................however I am a little unsure about his qualifications ;) You can buy anything on the internet these days. :eek:

I do believe he lurks on the org now and again and sometimes posts the odd bit of advice. :Razz

canuck
03-Apr-10, 18:42
I'm afraid I missed the point of the allegory, but if we are going to discuss flirting can I join in? I suspect that we are way off the original topic though.

Moira
03-Apr-10, 19:16
Well just by chance I think I might just know one..................however I am a little unsure about his qualifications You can buy anything on the internet these days.
I do believe he lurks on the org now and again and sometimes posts the odd bit of advice.

Ok Alice, that's a start. PM me his name and phone number. I'll PM you and let you know how I got on. :D

I'm afraid I missed the point of the allegory, but if we are going to discuss flirting can I join in? I suspect that we are way off the original topic though.
Of course you can join in Canuck. When, ever, did a topic here stick strictly to target?

I noticed some Italians vying for your attention last weekend. I only noticed it because they were ignoring me. I don't blame them. ;)

Moira
03-Apr-10, 19:51
Then if you understand the nature of the snark you will understand why so many posts to this forum start with "I don't usually agree with fred but...", you will understand that people want to be a Cowboy not an Indian, one of the hunters not the hunted.

You will understand why someone not minding being associated with me came as such a surprise to you you felt it was worthy of comment.

Hi Fred, I'm actually quite mystified about your post. My fairly light tread on this thread was intended to encourage other posts/threads of like ilk..
I don't often have the time to post here but this was one thread which interested me recently.

Shame on me then for actually enjoying some of the threads/posts here from time to time. Double shame on me for sending good rep to some posters on the threads I don't have time to reply to.

:confused

fred
03-Apr-10, 21:22
Hi Fred, I'm actually quite mystified about your post. My fairly light tread on this thread was intended to encourage other posts/threads of like ilk..
I don't often have the time to post here but this was one thread which interested me recently.

Shame on me then for actually enjoying some of the threads/posts here from time to time. Double shame on me for sending good rep to some posters on the threads I don't have time to reply to.

:confused

I just posted to offer an opinion and the subject of the thread, as so often seems to happen, turned to myself. Then when the snark came to be mentioned I saw it as a symbol, I saw this creature which did no manner of harm, apart from those which are boojums, yet was constantly hunted as being a representation of the situation here on the org. As did the barrister's dream.

John Little
04-Apr-10, 09:09
"My dire attempt at "flirting" with John Little was also rejected. I am devastated.;)"

Ah - alas I am a married man and a stranger to such badinage.

This is a pity for 'Moira' is a name which gives an image of wild, fey highland lassies which is quite pleasing , and were it not for herself I might be tempted to take the high road...

Yes the original Snark was harmless, but snark is a barb which is desgned to hurt - and it does for it has no other purpose. In discussion it seems to be that there is little point in adding a sting to remarks because that is all it does; and creates anger and resentment.

The purpose of discussion is not to change minds. It is to state a point of view with the best arguments, backed up with appropriate evidence/analysis, fact and comparisons.

That is a fair statement of opinion, and opinion is good, because without the appropriate supporting evidence/analysis, facts and comparisons a statement is mere prejudice; pre-judging something according to an illogical, irrational and unsupportable set of criteria.

If I set an argument out fairly, and someone else sets their argument out fairly, it is possible that I may come to see that their point of view has merit.

And may - and do change my mind.

But if they assassinate my character, impugn my reputation and make slurs about my private life, then they achieve nothing except polarisation of opinion and possibly some personal gratification.

Nemo me impugn lacessit...... Familiar somehow...

That's not why we are here. Is it?

As to the purpose of the thread.

It's an allegory - for real life. A virtual space- a place to wander, breeze, chow the fat and some may even flirt.

For the craic