PDA

View Full Version : what is being added to the water?

unicorn
13-Apr-04, 19:55
I was told by someone that something is being added to the tapwater as of tomorrow and it was in the paper but I never got the paper :confused so I wondered what it was and is it harmful to small animals? as some of these things are dangerous to tropical fish etc? any info appreciated :)

Absolut1
13-Apr-04, 21:38
It has high levels of chlorine as far as I can remember, & water shoudl be treated before using with fish etc

unicorn
13-Apr-04, 22:15
thanks :D I assume it is still ok for rabbits hamsters chinchilla's etc just wondered as I have babies at the moment and dont want to be giving anything that could cause health problems :confused

Naefearjustbeer
13-Apr-04, 22:16
If its not good for fish and other pets how can it be good for humans?

unicorn
13-Apr-04, 22:24
SCARY :eek: isn't it :(

Mr P Cannop
14-Apr-04, 07:20
will the water be ok for people ??

unicorn
14-Apr-04, 14:50
yes I assume so the water board arn't allowed to poison us :lol:

Anonymous
14-Apr-04, 19:05
Tell that to the people of Camelford? Their Water Authority was not allowed to but they did it anyway some time ago with aluminium sulphate or something similar.
Paddy

unicorn
14-Apr-04, 19:12
I called the water board today who said it was something to do with chlorine which is safe for mamals but not so great for fish etc so tap safe added to your water if cleaning your tank is a good idea..

Mr P Cannop
14-Apr-04, 19:48
so is it safe for people ??

jjc
15-Apr-04, 09:17
It's not the Chlorine they are going to add that you need to worry about. There is a potentially lethal amount of dihydrogen monoxide coming through your taps already!!! :eek:

Mr P Cannop
15-Apr-04, 09:36
OMG

Mr P Cannop
15-Apr-04, 10:16
also surely they can't do that to our waters ?? they surely can't get away with that surely ??

jjc
15-Apr-04, 11:10
Paul,

They've been pushing the stuff through the taps for as long as I can remember!!!

In 2001 there were 503 deaths related to dihydrogen monoxide in the UK but they are still allowed to pump it into our homes and workplaces. It's even in the swimming pool, for goodness sake. And there is absolutely nothing done to filter it out before the waste from our homes is sent out to sea!

Something should be done!

Bill, what is the council’s stance on this?

Drutt
15-Apr-04, 11:28
In 2001 there were 503 deaths related to dihydrogen monoxide in the UK but they are still allowed to pump it into our homes and workplaces. It's even in the swimming pool, for goodness sake. And there is absolutely nothing done to filter it out before the waste from our homes is sent out to sea!

I almost spat my coffee at my screen on seeing this. Oh my. Superb post. I have tears streaming down my face and I'm getting very funny looks sitting here at work. :eek:

jjc
15-Apr-04, 11:30
I almost spat my coffee at my screen on seeing this.
Careful, it's in your coffee too!!! [para]

golach
15-Apr-04, 11:34
It's not the Chlorine they are going to add that you need to worry about. There is a potentially lethal amount of dihydrogen monoxide coming through your taps already!!! :eek:

[mad] I'm sticking till Beer in the future. Well done JJC, Mrs Golach has not got a leg till stand on now with her nagging at my liking for a pint or two, I am forever beholden to you many thanks

Golach

zappster
15-Apr-04, 18:08
Nice one G dude if ye dinna mind am gonna use the same excuse..though ah dinna really need an excuse :D

Anonymous
16-Apr-04, 09:45
Last time my water went over the "undrinkable" line, there was more chlorine coming out my tap than was being put in at the treatment works. "some sort of build up" was the explanation.

No matter what they say or what technical diagrams they show us, they dont have a clue as to how these chemicals will be distributed through our water system and any "findings" based on how much they are adding is complete and utter rubbish, base it on what coming out the tap and I might be prepared to listen.

rich
16-Apr-04, 15:19
You are all quite, quite paranoid.
There are populations in Africa and Latin America who would love the chance to drink your Highland region tap water.
That way theywouldn't get cholera or dysentry.
Wake up and join the real world.

scotsboy
16-Apr-04, 19:29
Facts can be found here

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

To be honest I prefer the Kaitness dmho to the bottled stuff I have to drink ;)

Just like to say a wee hello to Maud & Coco and the DW crew ;) Ive not gone away you know. :lol:

Colin Manson
17-Apr-04, 00:05
You are all quite, quite paranoid.
There are populations in Africa and Latin America who would love the chance to drink your Highland region tap water.
That way theywouldn't get cholera or dysentry.
Wake up and join the real world.

Rich,

I do live in the real world and since my girlfriend is from Latin America I can assure you that she wouldn't love the chance to drink the tap water here, in fact she buys bottled water and asks for drinks without ice. :D

Just thought it might be a good idea to get some 'real life' info.

Cheers
Colin

simian sally
17-Apr-04, 12:31
What is so wrong with the water in Caithness that a Latin American woman won't drink it? This is a serious question.

jjc
17-Apr-04, 13:40
What is so wrong with the water in Caithness that a Latin American woman won't drink it? This is a serious question.
Why should her being Latin American automatically mean that she should be grateful for whatever water she can get?

simian sally
17-Apr-04, 14:01
Why should her being Latin American automatically mean that she should be grateful for whatever water she can get?
Ask Rich, not me. I didn't imply she should be grateful. Let's leave her out of it.

Is there a longstanding perceived problem with caithness water, or is it a transient caused by a recent chlorination?

No quips about hydrogen hydroxide eh jjc?

jjc
17-Apr-04, 14:41
No quips about hydrogen hydroxide eh jjc?
Quips? Moi? http://www.apcu29.dsl.pipex.com/smilies/saint.gif

Donnie
19-Apr-04, 10:46
Any of you guys concerned about the air you breath? Any of you guys smoke?

rich
19-Apr-04, 14:53
colin, if your girlfriend comes from one of the areas of Latin America sufficienly advanced to have potable water on public tap then good luck to her.
But millions dont have potable water.
The complaints that you air about the water supply seem rather arcane to me.
Cast your mind back to caithness in the 1840s where third world conditions prevailed and cholera was a regular visitor. There is an excellent account in Neil Gunn's novel The Silver Darlings of the resultant sickness and death.
Water as a transmitter of disease was a controversial issue in the 19th century in England. John Snow was a pioneering public health care doctor in London who insisted, against the medical experts of his day, that cholera was the result of water infected with the cholera bug (vibrio is rhe scientific term, I think). In a fury, Dr. Snow took the pump handle off the water supply in the Broad St. area of London - a place seriously infected with cholera. Forced to find other sources of water, the cholera epidemic in Broad St. ceased in a matter of days.
You would think that proved the case.
But never discount the ingenuity of physicians.
Dr. Robert Koch was an Austrian (I think) of the same period who was the renowned expert on communicable diseases - and he really did do a lot of good.
However he refused to believe cholera was a water borne infection. Like a good man of science he arranged an experiment to prove his case.
In front of a class of medical students he drank a jug of water from an area undergoing a cholera epidemic.
Not only did he survive, he didn't even contract diarrhea!
Obviously, Dr. Koch got lucky and drank the less lethal version.
This had the effect of discrediting Dr. Snow and it really wasn't until the end of the 19th century that the UK could enjoy a uniformly safe quality of water.
My concern with the thread of discussion here is that you are losiing sight of the real advances we have made and of the real perils associated with infected drinking water.
There is nothing wrong with your drinking water and if you don't like the taste pour some red wine into it .
Now, have the anti-fluoride people had their say?
That's a pleasure I will forego.....

chemicalbrutha
24-Apr-04, 17:13
try drinking the stuff they pump out the taps in edinburgh!!I love caithness water, its good and its great when i come home to get nice clear transparent wtare instead of the cloudy muck i rarely drink here.
Oh wheni was in london it was even worse!!!!
Be grateful you live in a land where the air is clean, and the water is tasty!!!!!!!

peace+out.........

unicorn
25-Apr-04, 23:12
This post seems to have gone way offline :eek: I asked out of concern to small mammals not myself!! :D so to say wake up and live in the real world is all very well and fine but I really dont care that much about me drinking it, as I do about very young small animals that I have who I have since found out and posted that it wouldn't harm them. If I dont want to drink it fine I can get something else but if I put it in drinking bottles they have no choice but to drink it as their is nothing else available to them which is why I was checking this out! :confused