PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour

David Banks
28-Mar-10, 00:48
It's earth hour here.
I switched on the light so I could start this thread, because I need to see the keyboard to type.

Now, here's a real environmentalist!

Lights oot

joxville
28-Mar-10, 02:20
I've decided to do my bit for Earth Hour by switching off all the lights before sleeping. :roll:

Alan16
28-Mar-10, 05:59
Come Earth Hour I turned off all the lights in the room. That may have been because we were watching a film, but I have no problem telling myself otherwise...

Cattach
28-Mar-10, 20:57
It's earth hour here.
I switched on the light so I could start this thread, because I need to see the keyboard to type.

Now, here's a real environmentalist!

Lights oot

What on earth is earth hour?

Julia
28-Mar-10, 22:28
What on earth is earth hour?

'Earth Hour started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia when 2.2 million homes and businesses turned their lights off for one hour to make their stand against climate change. Only a year later and Earth Hour had become a global sustainability movement with more than 50 million people across 35 countries participating. Global landmarks such as the, Sydney Harbour Bridge, The CN Tower in Toronto, The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and Rome’s Colosseum, all stood in darkness, as symbols of hope for a cause that grows more urgent by the hour. In March 2009, hundreds of millions of people took part in the third Earth Hour. Over 4000 cities in 88 countries officially switched off to pledge their support for the planet, making Earth Hour 2009 the world’s largest global climate change initiative.'

I'm quite annoyed as I missed it this year, it was @ 8.30pm on Saturday night!

changilass
28-Mar-10, 22:42
As we were out for a meal last night and we switched off the lights afore we went, then without knowing it, we took part lol

ducati
28-Mar-10, 22:44
Well, despite the massive worldwide take up, the publicity sucks, I've never heard of it.

May I humbly suggest next year they take up Saachii's agency spend £16 billion on worldwide neon signs, then we will know when it is. :eek:

Actually I might be able to help, I have experience of organising truly massive Save the Trees leafleting campaigns

dafi
28-Mar-10, 23:01
I shut every thing down read by candle light and generaly chilled out besides my roaring fire of fairly sustainable scrap building wood. It was a real treat and i am going to make and enjoy more quiet hours from now on.