PDA

View Full Version : Caithness music

wiseman
23-May-06, 21:35
Having recently returned to my homeland, god's country (Wick to be specific) I am keen to explore the modern day musicians and local bands in the area.
So far I have heard the name Boss hog being mentioned and am aware they have a show coming up in the poor side of Caithness. I am a keen Scottish music enthusiast but am open minded to anyone trying to do something new.
On another subject, from reading this fine website, I am disspapointed to see that the same paranoia and unwillingness to give newcomers a fair chance is still alive after all these years away! (I see the thread has also been removed!).

Tut tut, some people will never mature!

Chobbersjnr
23-May-06, 21:42
Having recently returned to my homeland, god's country (Wick to be specific) I am keen to explore the modern day musicians and local bands in the area.
So far I have heard the name Boss hog being mentioned and am aware they have a show coming up in the poor side of Caithness. I am a keen Scottish music enthusiast but am open minded to anyone trying to do something new.
On another subject, from reading this fine website, I am disspapointed to see that the same paranoia and unwillingness to give newcomers a fair chance is still alive after all these years away! (I see the thread has also been removed!).

poor side indeed.........................OK my grandad was born in WICK, Louisburgh Street to be precise

please don't whack me:Razz

Scottish enthusiast huh....................there's a regular traditional session happens in the comm over on the poor side of town............mwahaha

wiseman
23-May-06, 21:52
thankyou my good man (or woman), its been a while since i've heard some good local music. hopefully some good accordian players will convince me that there is still some talent around this barren land. can anyone tell me anything about boss hog? my good lady informs me that they are a type of celtic rock. i look forward to hearing them although i feel they may be a bit loud!

Chobbersjnr
23-May-06, 21:57
thankyou my good man (or woman), its been a while since i've heard some good local music. hopefully some good accordian players will convince me that there is still some talent around this barren land. can anyone tell me anything about boss hog? my good lady informs me that they are a type of celtic rock. i look forward to hearing them although i feel they may be a bit loud!

celtic rock......................I think they describe themselves as "melodic rock"

Shutter are all instrumental which I must say is really refreshing

& the last time I checked I was of the male gender, although I'm sure there are orgers who'll argue[lol]

DOC ROCK
23-May-06, 22:13
its been a while since i've heard some good local music. hopefully some good accordian players will convince me that there is still some talent around this barren land. can anyone tell me anything about boss hog? my good lady informs me that they are a type of celtic rock. i look forward to hearing them although i feel they may be a bit loud!

Welcome to the forum wiseman..Boss Hogg are an energetic four piece melodic rock band, who are incidentally playing in the Redwood this Saturday with a couple of other bands as well. They rock.. Do you play any instruments wiseman?:)

Gleber2
23-May-06, 23:59

Define a newcomer. How many years before one isn't.

clash67
24-May-06, 00:15

Well you could visit my website and buy our latest album, all proceeds are going to charity....god I don't miss a single chance to plug the album,lol.
Anyway the album is called "Lonely Road" and you can listen to the title track on the site before you buy.

Boss Hogg
24-May-06, 08:47
can anyone tell me anything about boss hog? my good lady informs me that they are a type of celtic rock. i look forward to hearing them although i feel they may be a bit loud!

As Chobbers and Doc quite rightly said, we are a non celtic, melodic rock band. We write and play all our own stuff with the odd cover thrown in for good measure.

Hope you come along on Saturday night. We get all sorts of ages at our gigs, from 14 to 70 (that's right, there was a 70 year old chap at the E.P launch who stayed all night and thoroughly enjoyed himself).

Hope this was of some use to you, and if not, check out http://www.bosshogg.co.uk and http://www.myspace.com/bosshogguk

Cheers,
BH

clash67
24-May-06, 11:17
OOOOps!! forgot to add our web address to my last post, thanks everyone for NOT pointing that oot! lol Anyway it's www.howlingaels.co.uk (http://www.howlingaels.co.uk) .Hope you enjoy wiseman.

moncur
24-May-06, 11:20
Hope you come along on Saturday night. We get all sorts of ages at our gigs, from 14 to 70 (that's right, there was a 70 year old chap at the E.P launch who stayed all night and thoroughly enjoyed himself).

70 years old???!!!! surely paul craig isn't as old as that already?

zebedy
24-May-06, 15:51
Well you could visit my website and buy our latest album, all proceeds are going to charity....god I don't miss a single chance to plug the album,lol.
Anyway the album is called "Lonely Road" and you can listen to the title track on the site before you buy.

WOO go HG

love it!

clash67
24-May-06, 16:08
WOO go HG

love it!
Please Zebedy, you shouldn't encourage me lol.[lol]

zebedy
25-May-06, 12:13
haha

Wiseman..

lookin for good music check out Clash's dudes!

Sorry not trying to bum it out or anything but its so good!

wiseman
27-May-06, 19:20
Thankyou all for the local links!

In this context I define newcomer in the local recording sense.

Chobbersjnr
27-May-06, 19:40

bit of a relative old comer then

Gleber2
27-May-06, 20:40

Then there were no newcomers in the pulled thread that you referred to>

You have not yet told us what your instument is. Is it a secret?

wiseman
27-May-06, 22:02
So from that comment am I correct to assume that Doc Rock is not offering a 'new' recording service? I stand corrected if this is the case and will replace 'newcomers' with 'anyone' in reference to my first post.

Correct, I haven't told you what I play yet (sorry was I supposed to?) and no it isn't a secret.

Chobbersjnr
27-May-06, 22:05
Correct, I haven't told you what I play yet (sorry was I supposed to?) and no it isn't a secret.

erm you have been asked

so whad'ya play...................if it aint a secret

wiseman
27-May-06, 22:11
Erm, yes I may have been asked but its not actually a requirement for me to do so:D

Or maybe it is?:eek:

Only joking, I play fiddle, violin and piano. All good fun.

Gleber2
27-May-06, 22:13
So from that comment am I correct to assume that Doc Rock is not offering a 'new' recording service? I stand corrected if this is the case and will replace 'newcomers' with 'anyone' in reference to my first post.

Twas Doc Rock who asked if you play any instruments. We all wait with bated breath for your game to reveal itself.

Gleber2
27-May-06, 22:15
Erm, yes I may have been asked but its not actually a requirement for me to do so:D

Or maybe it is?:eek:

Only joking, I play fiddle and violin and piano. All good fun.

Ah, he comes clean. Is it not true that violin and fiddles are identical in shape and form?

wiseman
27-May-06, 22:25
The style of music, fiddle or violin differs my good man. The instrument is the same for both styles.

Hope that clears it up.

Gleber2
27-May-06, 22:53
The style of music, fiddle or violin differs my good man. The instrument is the same for both styles.

This point is a matter of opinion.

wiseman
27-May-06, 23:08
Interesting, I invite you to give your opinion on this point.

Chobbersjnr
27-May-06, 23:11
The instrument is the same for both styles.

obviously not a matter of opinion then if "the instrument is the same"

harmonica, mouthie, harp, mouth organ, all the same instrument with nothing to do with style of music

wiseman
27-May-06, 23:16
Excellent point Chobbersjnr. This is why I am interested as to why Gleber2 regards it as a matter of opinion.

Chobbersjnr
27-May-06, 23:29
Excellent point Chobbersjnr. This is why I am interested as to why Gleber2 regards it as a matter of opinion.

I wonder.....maybe it's because you made it look as though you played 3 instruments (in your opinion) when in actual fact you play 2 (in my opinion)

Gleber2
27-May-06, 23:51
Interesting, I invite you to give your opinion on this point.

If you play Scottish music you probably call it a fiddle, if you play classical music you call it a violin. What do you call it when you play jazz or blues or Balkan folk music? Violin is the English name for the instument. Fiddle, I believe, comes from the Gaelic name. The instrument remains the same no matter what you call it. Most real fiddlers/violinists are aware of the lack of difference. Those less wise try to say that the name changes the instrument, perhaps to enhance their CV's.

wiseman
27-May-06, 23:52
Where did I say (in my opinion) that I play 3 instruments?

In my previous point, I stated that 'I play fiddle and violin and piano'.

That is fact, no mention of instrument quantities.

It doesn't matter how 'I made it look' you are free to draw your own conclusions on that one!

Gleber2
27-May-06, 23:59

It doesn't matter how 'I made it look' you are free to draw your own conclusions on that one!

Dear me.Fiddle=1, violin=1, piane=1. 1+1+1=3. Search a bit more for wisdom.

Chobbersjnr
28-May-06, 00:18

Fiddle and violin and piano...................you're right it is a fact & from that stated fact I say it reads like you play three instruments to me, mention of quantity or not three is the number when in actual fact it is two, one of which has an alternative name

& I have my conclusions you play violin & piano.................two instruments, not three. Of course you didn't say "I play three instruments" BUT you gave us threadsters three names two of which are the same instrument

wiseman
28-May-06, 00:47
Excellent debate gentlemen. Great fun!

Time to come clean as Gleber2 puts it! I of course know that some call it a fiddle and some call it a violin.

It provides an interesting response to throw this claim that I play violin AND fiddle AND piano in as I have done on other forums. When I state that I play fiddle and violin, it is interesting to see the response. Some dont pick up on it. When you bring the style argument into play, some dont catch on, some do.

There's no fooling a true Wiseman! ;)

Chobbersjnr
28-May-06, 00:52
There's no fooling a true Wiseman! ;)

apparently not, you aint fooled me & I aint a self confessed wiseman

wiseman
28-May-06, 01:10
My good man, in that context I refer to you as the Wiseman.

I maybe self confessed, it is up to others to make their minds up if I am indeed the Wiseman.....or the fool!

At least you and Gleber2 will argue your point unlike some I have come up against.

Also, I could add accordian to that list but in truth, my playing is average at best.

I prefer to listen.

Deemac
28-May-06, 01:27
So in thuth, your deception is now at an extended level.

You have now stated that you infact play 5 instruments!!

A fiddle, A violin, A piano, An accordian and you . . . . . listen!!

What is your prefered key, tempo and how average is it?

Chobbersjnr
28-May-06, 02:04
So in thuth, your deception is now at an extended level.

You have now stated that you infact play 5 instruments!!

A fiddle, A violin, A piano, An accordian and you . . . . . listen!!

What is your prefered key, tempo and how average is it?

heck maybe I'll get a job with whisky as a session listener

make a difference having at least one

DOC ROCK
28-May-06, 08:24
Did you make it to the BossHogg gig last night Wiseman? I wasn't sure who to look out for, it certainly was a great night of music. The Redwood "Rocked". :)

wiseman
28-May-06, 20:52
5 if you like! pretty good at the old listening you know! One I could certainly add to the CV. Is that Whisky session listner or taster? Im up for both!
Ive heard about Whisky are they any good?

Doc, Im afraid I had guests over last night and didnt make it out. My nephew was there and is going to let me hear their new CD, apparently its all the rage with the young ones.

Deemac
28-May-06, 23:04
Wiseman,
Ask Chobbers about playing in Whisky, He makes a pound and struts his excellent stuff in front of the wedding babes! (BIG and small!!) - (There's no drinking I'm afraid - they put on a professional show I'm told)

Always looking for a stand-in fiddler though. Can you wing with the best?

wiseman
29-May-06, 00:20
I have heard good things about chobberjnr in the music world. If my sources are correct a talented young gentleman. Do you know when Whisky are playing next? Also, I hear that there is a Scottish music CD that whisky have made? Is this true??

I play fiddle behind closed doors, the way it should remain if truth be told! Thats what my daughter says most of the time!

Chobbersjnr
29-May-06, 00:46
I have heard good things about chobberjnr in the music world. If my sources are correct a talented young gentleman. Do you know when Whisky are playing next? Also, I hear that there is a Scottish music CD that whisky have made? Is this true??

I play fiddle behind closed doors, the way it should remain if truth be told! Thats what my daughter says most of the time!

gee tanx, didn't know my heid could get much bigger

whisky have released 2 CDs "A Fine Mix" & ......................Deemac what's the 2nd one called...........................hit me next time you see me[lol]

Oh I should also point out that whisky don't always have me in the line up because I'm soooooooooooooooo flippin' expensive to hire mwahahahahaha

Deemac
29-May-06, 10:54
The second album is called "The Second Sip" (I'll hit you later my young man!!) And yes he's dam expensive to hire!! (but just so his head explodes - worth every penny . . . . )

Next public gig is this Saturday in the Park Hotel, Thurso (without Chobbers I'm afraid) then July 29th out at Tongue (Causeway Dance) All the rest are private functions.

O sorry must add the biker's rally out at John O Groats on 25/08/06.

You could visit their website for some audio samples/further information: www.whisky-band.co.uk (http://www.whisky-band.co.uk)

Reev
30-May-06, 17:56
Well, to say this post sorta got me, so, if i picked up on this right

i play the bass, the electric guitar, the acoustic guitar and.........the four stringed guitar, eh........no?!?!?!?, im multi talented when reading that

goggs1987
31-May-06, 18:34
here boi ...... what about the 5 string guitar lol?!

Chobbersjnr
31-May-06, 22:54
here boi ...... what about the 5 string guitar lol?!

you ever seen the 1 stringed fiddle

or a 12 string bass..........go figure[lol] [lol]

zebedy
31-May-06, 23:16
can u get 12 string bass?

zebedy
31-May-06, 23:18
dont believe it

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/Garrys2012sre.jpg would love to get Gordon from crimson tide a shot of one of them!

Reev
31-May-06, 23:24
4, 5, 6, 7, 8 10, 12, 2

crazy crazy numbers, and they all be BASS BASS BASS

Deemac
02-Jun-06, 19:41
Anyone seen Tony Levins (who's done loads with Peter Gabriel) play the "Stick" using the finger pegs? I think this is an 8 string bass. Very funky stuff.:eek:

goggs1987
02-Jun-06, 22:00
lol ........ i think that thing would scare me Zebedy!!! looks like something that could shoot down a wild boar, or a tortoise!!?!
ive seen a 24 string bass, guy playing the mario-tunes song!:cool:

Chobbersjnr
03-Jun-06, 01:15
Anyone seen Tony Levins (who's done loads with Peter Gabriel) play the "Stick" using the finger pegs? I think this is an 8 string bass. Very funky stuff.:eek:

One piece, Backyard, that appears on the album Parallel Galaxy of Emmett Chapman (Stick creator) was used in the film Dune. The director's cut of the film shows a decorated Stick painted gold playing the role of the mythical "baliset" instrument described in Frank Herbert's novel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqknrkv9dQ&search=chapman%20stick

tho it's not Tony Levin & I didn't know that before I typed in chapman stick on you tube

Dune indeed.......................well I never

zebedy
03-Jun-06, 14:47
Chapman Sticks Rawk

MadPianoPlayer
11-Oct-06, 16:07
I think that you should be looking at the children musicans and bands in Wick. There is great talent and children should be giving a chance to show that they ARE brillant at playing.