PDA

View Full Version : tv.s

im behind you
26-Mar-10, 21:12
i was in at tesco today and there was a tv that caught my eye for £465. which i thought was a good deal for a 42 inch tv.it was a samsung plasma tv.and i thought about it. and im sure that the plasmas are quite bad for blowing cylinders for its picture quality but not 100%. so any one that could help me out before i go and buy one would be much appreciated.

Scarybiscuits03
26-Mar-10, 21:17
I've got 3 plasmas, the oldest being 4-5 years old and never had any probs with them.
My mum had an lcd and it lasted a year before the picture started failing and my daugher has one in her room which has also failed so I'd vote plasma every time!
In fact my mum has just replaced her lcd with that very same 42" samsung and it works a treat!

Kodiak
26-Mar-10, 21:43
I would not have a Plasma TV but I would recommend getting a LCD TV. I have a LG3000 42" and it is really fantastic. Last I saw was that Tesco were selling it for £499 and that is a real bargain.

ShelleyCowie
26-Mar-10, 21:49
I would not have a Plasma TV but I would recommend getting a LCD TV. I have a LG3000 42" and it is really fantastic. Last I saw was that Tesco were selling it for £499 and that is a real bargain.

Grr that bugs me! I got my Sony Bravia 37" LCD for that price! makes me angry cos now i want a 50" lol

skaterboy
26-Mar-10, 21:59
We got a full HD panasonic 42in plasma telly and along with sky+HD the picture quality is second to none. We have a 32in samsung LCD full HD telly in the bedroom and although the picture is pretty damn good its nothing compared to the plasma.

mike.mckenzie
26-Mar-10, 22:03
Wait a little while until the LED TV's come down a bit in price - so much better than plasma and LCD

Stack Rock
26-Mar-10, 22:05
i was in at tesco today and there was a tv that caught my eye for £465. which i thought was a good deal for a 42 inch tv.it was a samsung plasma tv.and i thought about it. and im sure that the plasmas are quite bad for blowing cylinders for its picture quality but not 100%. so any one that could help me out before i go and buy one would be much appreciated.

Bought our 42 inch plasma 3 years ago when the price at that time was high - since then the prices have plumeted. Picture & performance on our one is exceptional but its a top manufacturer. However they use more energy then LCD's. Also you're not supposed to put the screen on hold as it will affect it.

mike.mckenzie
26-Mar-10, 22:10
Samsung ARE a top manufacturer. Also LED is a lot more energy efficient than LCD and plasma.

Liz
26-Mar-10, 23:32
I have a Panasonic Plasma and I find it much better than LCD. I find it gives a more 'natural' picture than LCD and doesn't give me eye strain which I got with my LCD.:eek:

As for the energy consumption this is a lot less with the newer models. Well with the top manufacturers anyway.

Amazon is a really good place to get honest reviews for televisons.

Tristan
26-Mar-10, 23:49
I'll second the panasonic plasma. Much faster than an lcd.

Liz
27-Mar-10, 00:05
I'll second the panasonic plasma. Much faster than an lcd.

Yes it was thanks to you that I got my Panasonic Plasma and am soooo glad I did. I love it!!!:D

Liz
27-Mar-10, 00:06
Grr that bugs me! I got my Sony Bravia 37" LCD for that price! makes me angry cos now i want a 50" lol

Och behave yersel Shelley. Bigger isna always better!:lol:

Seriously though 37" is a fine size for a medium size living room.:D

Scarybiscuits03
27-Mar-10, 00:17
I think it's the usual battle - it depends on what you have and you will back it up! As said before I've had both and I'd def go for plasma, lasted a long time and better value for money, especially at todays prices (I paid more than I should have - 3 YEARS AGO) I asked the same question at the time and I took advice from a professional and it paid off! Plasma for me - unless you can afford the new LED but Im waiting til its tried and tested! x

Moonboots
27-Mar-10, 00:50
Must admit it.. I think the plasma is far better a quality of TV. I was having a debate about this myself 2-3 years ago on which one to go for and opted for the plasma.. Thats the best choice i went for.. I know some people who have bought LCD's and they are not lasting long.. bought LCD's for the kids room and one tv has lost a pixel already...

LED.. i will have to test first... not sure what they will be like....

Vistravi
27-Mar-10, 00:55
It depends on what you want it for.

For using it to watch tv or films LED is best, for games a big plasma (42" or larger) and if you want small bedroom tv's LCD everytime. It really does depend on what you want it for.

LED are low power usage but are pron to lag in visual processing.

Plasma have a good refresh rate but have high power usage and are prone to plasma burn.

LCD are perfect for small sizes. Lower power usage than plasma but are not as good over 32" than plasma on visual quailty.

We own a 32" LCD and it does the job but it is nothing special. My partner uses the LCD for gaming purposes only. We also have a new stlye samsung 55" LED which we use for connecting to the pc and the rare tv use. We don't use the LED for the xbox 360 as refresh is too slow.

Scarybiscuits03
27-Mar-10, 01:13
It depends on what you want it for.

For using it to watch tv or films LED is best, for games a big plasma (42" or larger) and if you want small bedroom tv's LCD everytime. It really does depend on what you want it for.

LED are low power usage but are pron to lag in visual processing.

Plasma have a good refresh rate but have high power usage and are prone to plasma burn.

LCD are perfect for small sizes. Lower power usage than plasma but are not as good over 32" than plasma on visual quailty.

We own a 32" LCD and it does the job but it is nothing special. My partner uses the LCD for gaming purposes only. We also have a new stlye samsung 55" LED which we use for connecting to the pc and the rare tv use. We don't use the LED for the xbox 360 as refresh is too slow.

Sorry but I disagree - which I dont like to do!
The only lcd we have is a 19" and it failed after 1.5 yrs - 42" plasmas are all still working perfect (I have to add that one is working above a fully op radiator and still going strong) but like I said before, personal experience is always different - my opinion, if it canna last that long on such a small screen - bin it off! Plasma is my pref.

Vistravi
27-Mar-10, 01:46
Sorry but I disagree - which I dont like to do!
The only lcd we have is a 19" and it failed after 1.5 yrs - 42" plasmas are all still working perfect (I have to add that one is working above a fully op radiator and still going strong) but like I said before, personal experience is always different - my opinion, if it canna last that long on such a small screen - bin it off! Plasma is my pref.

No need to apologise, if you don't agree you don't agree ;)

My mum and step dad have a 32" LCD and they've had it for 2 years now and no sign of any bother at all. It reallt boils down to individual expereince.

To me a tv is a tv i only use them as a computer screen anyway ;) I don't much like the LED one we have but that is only because it is way too big for my liking. I call it the door :lol: My partner's plasma tv that he uses for his xbox 360 is at least 6 years old and so far no plasma burns.

Vistravi
27-Mar-10, 01:49

Good god woman your living room ain't big enough to fit a door sized tv in it! :eek:

Scarybiscuits03
27-Mar-10, 02:14
No need to apologise, if you don't agree you don't agree ;)

My mum and step dad have a 32" LCD and they've had it for 2 years now and no sign of any bother at all. It reallt boils down to individual expereince.

To me a tv is a tv i only use them as a computer screen anyway ;) I don't much like the LED one we have but that is only because it is way too big for my liking. I call it the door :lol: My partner's plasma tv that he uses for his xbox 360 is at least 6 years old and so far no plasma burns.

Thanks, I always feel like I have to justify myself sometimes for my posts on here so its nice to see a response like that......x

ShelleyCowie
27-Mar-10, 11:54
Och behave yersel Shelley. Bigger isna always better!:lol:

Seriously though 37" is a fine size for a medium size living room.:D

37" is fine in the bedroom Liz. I dont mean that in a filthy way lol.

Good god woman your living room ain't big enough to fit a door sized tv in it! :eek:

Surely it would fit! My livinroom is quite long. Wait til i get a bigger house, then i will definetely be buyin a 50"

EDDIE
27-Mar-10, 13:34

A 42 inch for £465 whether be lcd or plasma its a good deal There is pros and cons with
both im a great believer in you either get a good one or a bad one and if your worried about it breaking then pay a little bit more and take out a 5 year guarantee with the tv.
Most flatscreens tvs come with a 5 year guarantee?
I have a 32 inch its ok but 42inch would be better a lot better especially for playing with the ps3 or xbox

scorrie
27-Mar-10, 14:24

I wouldn't touch Tesco for electrical goods, I find their prices way over the score. I am pretty sure the TV you are talking about is the same one shown on Amazon for £439.99 (free shipping) :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PS42B430P2WX-Plasma-Integrated-Digital/dp/B0025TG1RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269695665&sr=8-1

According to Amazon the TV first appeared on their website in July 2006 so it seems to be an older model, it does NOT display in 1080p but is 720p instead. I checked some discussion sites and some people declare this TV to be out of date. For the money you are talking here, I would recommend a look at Ebuyer for something more up to date for probably less money. Ebuyer charge about £12 to deliver to the Highlands and I have used them several times and can report that they deliver as promised and you can track your delivery through their website.

Liz
27-Mar-10, 14:31
I got my television from John Lewis online as their customer service reputation is excellent.

They also give free 5 year warranty with all their televisions.

AVForums is a really good place to find out what the best tv is for you.:D

Liz
27-Mar-10, 14:36
Surely it would fit! My livinroom is quite long. Wait til i get a bigger house, then i will definetely be buyin a 50"

The SD picture isn't good if you sit too close to the TV. I sit about 9ft away from my 37" and the picture is brilliant from this distance.

However, you can sit much closer to an HD picture but will be a while I think before all programmes are in HD.

I have to say although I love my telly I do kinda wish I had gone for a 42" though. Scarybiscuits03 how far do you sit from your 42" Plasma?

bekisman
27-Mar-10, 15:49
The SD picture isn't good if you sit too close to the TV. I sit about 9ft away from my 37" and the picture is brilliant from this distance.

However, you can sit much closer to an HD picture but will be a while I think before all programmes are in HD.

I have to say although I love my telly I do kinda wish I had gone for a 42" though. Scarybiscuits03 how far do you sit from your 42" Plasma?

How Far Should I Sit From My HDTV?

Often wondered, this site seems good.. gives an example: "For instance in my case I will be 17 feet from the set so judging by the table above this would be optimum for a 65inch set at 576 resolution. Does this mean that there is little point in purchasing a higher resolution and rather than paying extra for resolution I should invest in the biggest low res set I can afford?: Yes"
Of course it gives distances for 32" upwards...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php)

captain chaos
27-Mar-10, 17:50
I have to agree with " Liz " we bought a 42" Full HD LCD TOSHIBA from John Lewis and it was reduced to £529... cheaper than any supplier on the Internet and comes with a John Lewis 5 year Gaurantee.

Customer service was very friendly and helpful.

EDDIE
27-Mar-10, 17:55
And if its a 5year guarantee were the guy comes to ure home and fixs it thats good deal some guarantees u have to post it back to the dealer and i bet thats a pain?

captain chaos
27-Mar-10, 18:30
From the Guarantee paperwork

If you have purchased a television, your service guarantee is automatically 5 years in total. These are also subject to the following.

This additional service guarantee provides :

A repair service in the event of breakdown of any functioning part of your product, for the period stated by the John Lewis guarantee.
We'll provide the repair service without charge up to a cost equal to the original purchase price paid for the product.
All repair services are provided by authorised service technicians.
If we decide your product cannot be repaired, or is uneconomical to repair, we'll replace it with the same model. If it's no longer available, we'll discuss an alternative settlement with you.
Occasionally, we may ask you to pay for the repair and claim the cost of the repair from us.

Liz
27-Mar-10, 19:07
How Far Should I Sit From My HDTV?

Often wondered, this site seems good.. gives an example: "For instance in my case I will be 17 feet from the set so judging by the table above this would be optimum for a 65inch set at 576 resolution. Does this mean that there is little point in purchasing a higher resolution and rather than paying extra for resolution I should invest in the biggest low res set I can afford?: Yes"
Of course it gives distances for 32" upwards...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php)

Interesting article Bekisman. Thanks for that.

It is difficult when the majority of viewing at the moment is in SD as you need to sit further away from it as sitting too close will cause you to see the pixellation.

Of course there are other factors such as the shape of the room. My TV is in the corner of my living room in a kind of 'alcove' and so not sure whether a 42" will fit. Will have to get my tape measure out!:D

I have a Panasonic 37X10 and am really chuffed with it. At times the picture quality is breathtaking.

I do think sometimes that in getting an even bigger telly the picture quality is sacrificed a wee bit.

Liz
27-Mar-10, 19:11
I have to agree with " Liz " we bought a 42" Full HD LCD TOSHIBA from John Lewis and it was reduced to £529... cheaper than any supplier on the Internet and comes with a John Lewis 5 year Gaurantee.

I thought long and hard before buying my telly as it was a considered purchase.
Having bought one previously from a local retailer who gave very poor after care service, I decided to research into customer service and John Lewis always got very good feedback and that's why I bought from them. Well that and the five year warranty.
Plus they will price match their televisions if you find it cheaper in a shop (not online) and this is what I did and so got an excellent deal which included free delivery and a television stand.:D

Vistravi
27-Mar-10, 20:18

Poor Athrun will go cross eyed if you get one! You'll have to make sure all three lads sit well back. ;)

Vistravi
27-Mar-10, 20:22
Thanks, I always feel like I have to justify myself sometimes for my posts on here so its nice to see a response like that......x

Nae bother. Life is too short to worry about people not aggreeing with you. ;)

bekisman
27-Mar-10, 20:50

I was there too, and some bloke was reaching up to get some details about that TV - I asked him (as Mrs Beks was wavering) was Samsung better than Sony - wonder if it was you? Anyway bought the 32" Samsung - just put it together and Sky's coming out in a week to do the HD box thing..

Ricanna
27-Mar-10, 20:53
Bit of a tangent but for those who have it is Sky HD worth the extra tenner?

Kodiak
27-Mar-10, 21:00
Without a Doubt YES and YES again. I now search through the HD Listings first and if I have to watch something that is not in HD I am not happy.

It was the best thing I ever did getting SKY HD TV, I Love it.

Dont go what Golach says as there is also all the History Channels, Nat Geo Channels, BBC, Channel 4 ect ect. 34 Channels in HD in fact and more to come.

golach
27-Mar-10, 21:05
Dont go what Golach says as there is also all the History Channels, Nat Geo Channels, BBC, Channel 4 ect ect. 34 Channels in HD in fact and more to come.

Kodiak is right of course, I actually forgot about all the interesting channels I apologise:(

devil's sidekick
28-Mar-10, 11:48
Must admit it.. I think the plasma is far better a quality of TV. I was having a debate about this myself 2-3 years ago on which one to go for and opted for the plasma.. Thats the best choice i went for.. I know some people who have bought LCD's and they are not lasting long.. bought LCD's for the kids room and one tv has lost a pixel already...

LED.. i will have to test first... not sure what they will be like....

Sorry moonboots but i have to disagree with you on this one i think my lcd has a lot better quality than your plasma i find my picture is a lot more clear even through the ps3 there is a big difference plus i have had mine a couple of year as you know and there ain't a single thing wrong with it.

we have to disagree sometimes lol

scorrie
28-Mar-10, 14:33

I have spent a lot of time surfing for TV's for ourselves, the kids, friends etc and I find John Lewis to charge a premium on most of their TV's. They say there is no such thing as a free lunch and I would say that this applies to guarantees also. Don't get me wrong, a five year guarantee is excellent, but it is a fact that the TV's are cheaper elsewhere. I picked four random TV's from John Lewis's site today and had a quick price compare.

These are the results:-

Samsung LE32B450C John Lewis price £349 Dixons price £299

Toshiba 42RV655DB John Lewis price £699 Hiwayfi price £550

Sony Bravia KDL-37EX503 John Lewis price £799 Play.com price £720

Panasonic Viera TX-L37V10B John Lewis price £899 Laskys price £718

The retailers I quote all offered free delivery, I have personal experience of Dixons and Play and neither of those charge extra for delivery to Highlands, I cannot say for the others but the evidence seems to bear out my thoughts that John Lewis are factoring in the guarantee to the price. Happy shopping!!

Liz
28-Mar-10, 14:44
Scorrie, John Lewis will price match if you find a telly cheaper in a bricks and mortar shop.

This is what I did and got a great deal. Also, it is worth paying a bit more in my opinion for good customer service as it can be a real hassle if something goes wrong and you are dealing with a retailer who isn't helpful.

Phill
28-Mar-10, 16:38
I've got a Bush TV191D, it's dual standard, will this be OK with Sky HD?

im behind you
28-Mar-10, 18:00
thanks for the input guys but i took the wife to inverness today and got a good deal on a 50inch samsung plazma.so im well chuffed me and the ps3 all night long.as the wife thought she was going down for a shopping spree she aint talking now so its a win win situation for me woop woop.

fender
28-Mar-10, 18:14
£500 for a telly!!!! More money than sense.

Moonboots
28-Mar-10, 18:20
Sorry moonboots but i have to disagree with you on this one i think my lcd has a lot better quality than your plasma i find my picture is a lot more clear even through the ps3 there is a big difference plus i have had mine a couple of year as you know and there ain't a single thing wrong with it.

we have to disagree sometimes lol

We do have to disagree and im still going too lol...

I honestly think my picture is still more superior than your LCD. Your picture might be clear but its too clear.. You can see a jagged edge effect on everything.. Clear isnt everything.. its down to quality of a picture...

Remember you have to wear glasses and i dont lol..... What does that say!!!!
Ive got 20/20 vision lol...

I know your TV has not had any problems... im not saying it has but i know a few people who have had problems..

Ricanna
28-Mar-10, 19:37
So to sum up a bit, if one is going to get Sky HD and one wants a 40 inch-ish HD telly give me 5 recommendations of tvs rather than sellers of the same

devil's sidekick
28-Mar-10, 19:58
We do have to disagree and im still going too lol...

I honestly think my picture is still more superior than your LCD. Your picture might be clear but its too clear.. You can see a jagged edge effect on everything.. Clear isnt everything.. its down to quality of a picture...

Remember you have to wear glasses and i dont lol..... What does that say!!!!
Ive got 20/20 vision lol...

I know your TV has not had any problems... im not saying it has but i know a few people who have had problems..

there is no jagged effect on my tv lad you might have 20/20 vision but i only need glasses for reading i bet peter will tell you the same as me and i bet a lot of others will too and there is no chance your picture is more superior than mine i would even take mine to yours just to prove it, even when aidan had the ps3 through yours the picture quality is no where near as good, and my lcd picture quality is definately better, the colours through the hd are meant to be more vibrant hence why mine is so clear so why isn't your colours more vibrant through hd lol

annemarie482
28-Mar-10, 20:38

i bought this telly last summer from tesco, and i can honestly say i'm delighted with it!
good picture and sound. looks good too. i got the surround sound for the telly for my birthday :D

Moonboots
28-Mar-10, 21:14
there is no jagged effect on my tv lad you might have 20/20 vision but i only need glasses for reading i bet peter will tell you the same as me and i bet a lot of others will too and there is no chance your picture is more superior than mine i would even take mine to yours just to prove it, even when aidan had the ps3 through yours the picture quality is no where near as good, and my lcd picture quality is definately better, the colours through the hd are meant to be more vibrant hence why mine is so clear so why isn't your colours more vibrant through hd lol

My colours are more vibrant..... u just dont see it cause im not usually watching HD when ur in lol...

Aidan had it through it wae his PS3 but it wasnt setup correctly.
Yet again.. u buy a TV to watch TV... not play games on..... Alot of people do but i dont..

I dont use the dynamic settings cause i think it looks awful. I will show you the next time wae the TV is that ive got it set on the settings for Cinema...

You can take the TV down to mine just to try and prove a point but everyone is entitled to their own opinions...lol...

Moonboots
28-Mar-10, 21:32
Aww dont move the post lol

devil's sidekick
28-Mar-10, 22:26
Aww dont move the post lol

gaming was an example and yes aidans ps3 was set up right cause i was the one who set it through hd lol.

Moonboots
28-Mar-10, 23:07
thats why it was setup wrong lol..
You setup the settings on the HD but not on the TV haha

Liz
28-Mar-10, 23:31

My colours are more vibrant..... u just dont see it cause im not usually watching HD when ur in lol...

Aidan had it through it wae his PS3 but it wasnt setup correctly.
Yet again.. u buy a TV to watch TV... not play games on..... Alot of people do but i dont..

I dont use the dynamic settings cause i think it looks awful. I will show you the next time wae the TV is that ive got it set on the settings for Cinema...

You can take the TV down to mine just to try and prove a point but everyone is entitled to their own opinions...lol...

I really do think it's down to personal choice as to whether you prefer LCD or Plasma. Some like the 'artificial' brightnes of LCD which at times can nearly burn your eyeballs!:lol:
I had the Panasonic 32LXD700 LCD and it is a brilliant telly with a great quality of picture but I was fed up with backlight bleed and clouding which is a common problem with LCDs so the guy from Panasonic, who I was dealing ,recommended that I get a Plasma as he said they were better.

Well I have to say I am glad I did as it is great! The picture quality is much more realistic but colours are still vibrant where they need to be.
I don't get awful tired eyes after a few hours of viewing like I did with my LCD.

Moonboots I prefer the Cinema setting like you do and Dynamic setting is just awful!!!:eek:

The only time I wouldn't get a Plasma is if I was viewing it in a really bright room as it is better in a room with less light. Also you can't have it somewhere like a conservatory as it can't be kept in high temperatures.

I suppose it's horses for courses at the end of the day and if you get a telly you like whether it is LCD, Plasma or LED then that's all that matters.:D

retrodj
29-Mar-10, 13:22
I currently have a samsung crt slim fit tv 32" and have had it for 4 years. It still looks good as it has the look of an LCD, just not as light (it's damn heavy) It is starting to make a loud ringing noise so that tells me it is on it's way out.

I've always thought that a lot of LCD tvs are poor in picture quality and have a lot of blurring when watching fast moving things on the screen and have been told that if you want a big tv over 32"-37" then plasmas are the best option.

It will be a minefield when i come to pick a new tv. 100HZ, 600HZ TECHNOLOGY, LED, LCD, FULL HD, INTERNET TV. NEXT IT'S 3D TV's

I think for the size of living room that I have a 37" tv will be ample size. I do however want a good picture quality for sky hd and less blurring images for a decent price. I just hope my tv lasts until the led tvs have been tested thoroughly and better models are on the market. Any tv's I like the look of just now are too expensive and the ones I can afford look like they have a crap picture.

Liz
29-Mar-10, 13:27
I am sure you would be happy with the Panasonic 37X10 retrodj.

I am very fussy when it comes to picture quality and I am more than delighted with mine.:D
The only problem would be if your room is really bright. Still if you were okay with your CRT then Plasma shouldn't be a problem.