PDA

View Full Version : Poor little thing

highland red
26-Mar-10, 16:43
A male Siskin flew into the bedroom window this morning (it does happen sometimes), and I did what I always do: which is to check that the bird was not obviously injured. (none has ever been before).

To my horror I saw that this time this wasn't the case and I went outside to find the little fella totally unconscious....but still breathing. I dumped the contents of a wooden storage box out on the bed and filled it with a load of kitchen roll, put the little bird gently inside placed the lid on the box and brought him inside into the warm and quiet room. (it was cold and drizzling outside).

I tried to get hold of The SPCA but there was no one there and as I had to go to work for an hour, I left the bird in the quiet and warm box.

If truth be known I was not hoping for a good outcome when I got back and my other half wouldn't get out of the car until I had checked.

To my total surprise the little fella had regained consciousness and looked much better.

I took the box outside and slowly took off the lid and he looked at me.

So I just put a hand underneath him and he flew right onto the fence near one of the feeders. We watched him for a wee while and we could see that he was improving, and then hey presto away he went with what appeared to be a perfectly normal flight.

What a great feeling it's given us. we really didn't know if we'd done the right thing at the time. The outcome has made me feel great.:Razz

Anji
26-Mar-10, 16:59
Well done, highland red. Today you saved a life.

We had a greenfinch panicking in the shed last year. He kept bashing himself against the walls, looking for the door. Eventually he knocked himself out. I picked him up and felt his heart beating, and so just kept him in my hand to keep him warm for about ten minutes. Then he 'woke up' and gripped onto my finger for another five minutes or so, then suddenly took off.

A few months later, I had a similar experience with one that bashed himself off the patio doors.

As you say, it makes you feel great.

doyle
05-Apr-10, 12:24
Unfortunately this happens quite a lot with us, mainly with greenfinches. If they are just stunned I get the cat basket and an old towel and put a wee hot water bottle in it and take the basket into the porch and leave it quiet for a while. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't :(

Leanne
05-Apr-10, 14:14
It happens with us too. Usually if you cup them in your hands for 5 minutes or so it is long enough to warm them up and stop the birds spinning ;)