PDA

View Full Version : Air Hospital

The Drunken Duck
26-Mar-10, 14:51
Did anyone else catch this documentary last night ??

It was about 99 Squadron and the CCAST team doing Medevacs of seriously injured from Afghanistan. Quite impressive how they turn the cargo hold of a C-17 aircraft into a functioning Intensive Care facility in a couple of hours, very moving seeing the care that these folks provide to get guys home within 36 hours of injury. Always been impressed with the Medical fraternity and the job they do but this was seriously impressive stuff considering the conditions they were working in.

If your interested but missed it .. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-air-hospital/4od#3050906

Phill
26-Mar-10, 15:14
Thanks for the link.

I did want to watch this and spent all week checking and still managed to miss it :mad:
(telly is wifey's domain, important documentaries like Holby are on)

I will be watching later.

ShelleyCowie
26-Mar-10, 16:16
I just watched it there from your link. Wow what they do is amazing.

Thanks, i meant to watch it but never checked when it was on

poppett
26-Mar-10, 16:29
Thanks for the link.........will catch it later. I enjoy any medical documentary and especially intensive care kind of stuff, so am looking forward to it.

Mik.M.
26-Mar-10, 16:42
Absolute heroes all of them,working under those conditions to bring home injured service personnel.

Gronnuck
26-Mar-10, 17:06
I thought it was about time we saw an up-to-date documentary about Crab-Air. My fondest memories of blue-jobs was being handed a pack lunch by a grumpy Loadmaster in the back of a Hercules many years ago and being warned not to make a mess and to take my rubbish with me. :roll:
I watched the program last night and was both impressed and humbled. It was great to see the professionalism of the medics at work. As with most people in the military when there’s work to be done everyone pulls together regardless of rank or station. True teamwork at its best.
As for the C-17 pilot, a master of understatement he said, “I’m just the bus driver.” He and his crew are responsible for flying the largest plane in the RAF fleet more than a third of the way round the world and risk being shot at on their approach to Bastion – some bus driver.
Heroes every one.

cuddlepop
26-Mar-10, 17:49
We sat and watched that programe lastnight and once again seriously questioned why we're there?.:~(

Venture
26-Mar-10, 19:05
A very moving documentary. Heartbreaking to watch those men with such horrifiic injuries. The majority of the troops being transported out there looked more like schoolboys than soldiers. Heroes all of them in every sense of the word.

ShelleyCowie
26-Mar-10, 19:58
A very moving documentary. Heartbreaking to watch those men with such horrifiic injuries. The majority of the troops being transported out there looked more like schoolboys than soldiers. Heroes all of them in every sense of the word.

I was quite shocked at how young some of them lads looked myself. They looked younger than me. But yes, they are heroes indeed.

I found it hard to watch some of the lads come back with their limbs missing, but we cant just block out what is happening around the world right now!

There was something someone said on it that has stuck in my head though. About how the media pay attention to the amount of deaths, they dont count the injured which can be just as bad sometimes.