PDA

View Full Version : Thurso to Inverness.....

Philip_Jones
12-Apr-04, 09:28
Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me asking this, but hoping someone might be able to help! I'm riding my pushbike from Lands End to John O'Groats in June and am having difficulties deciding how to get back from JOG.

Problem is that the train from Wick/Thurso only takes 2 bikes and needs to be booked months in advance. I've no idea when and IF I'll get to JOG.

Anyone know if any local taxi companies would be able to transport me and bike to Inverness? Or any other ideas? I've looked at flying, no good. I've tried to hire a car, also no success as yet.

Any local advice would be gratefully received. HAPPY EASTER :o)

webmannie
12-Apr-04, 09:36
Why don't you cycle back ;^)))

Mr P Cannop
12-Apr-04, 10:13
webmanie

he might not want to cycle back

Philip_Jones
12-Apr-04, 10:15
After 1055 miles, I think I would have had enough of the bike! Although, cycling back to Inverness is an option.......

squidge
12-Apr-04, 13:52
If you put a wee ad on here when you are wating to get back down the line maybe someone will be going that way and will give you a lift.

Give people a little notice and ask nicely - which i am sure you will do cos you sound like you have manners - maybe offer to pay for the petrol and i am sure you will get a lift.

:D

Elena
12-Apr-04, 15:05
I've taken my bike on the train a few times and never booked, I would just chance it and try to get on the train, it won't be busy, not even in June.

embow
12-Apr-04, 21:37
Try getting in touch with one of the local carriers eg White Arrow or AJG Parcels and see if they'll take the bike to Inverness. You can then book on the London train which I'm sure has a greater carrying capacity than the daft Scotrail arangements. Following National Route one will add a lot of extra milage. When you get to the Dornoch Bridge follow the road signs for Wick and John O'Groats and cross the bridge. Ignore Route one if time is at a premium. If you have time to spare and want a more scenic and quieter traffic route then use Route one.
Good Luck whichever way you travel north.

http://e4u.deltait.com.au/sport/sport08.gif.

Caledonia
17-Apr-04, 16:26
I am up and down the road every other day, I would have no problem giving you a lift, depending on the date.

Message me nearer the time to let me know exactly when you will be aiming to get here.

;)

daviddd
17-Apr-04, 20:23
You shouldn't have to book too far in advance, there's rarely any bikes on these trains - if you book now you should be OK. Wick is obviously the nearest station to JOG. Good luck.