PDA

View Full Version : energy saving light that went caput

wickscorrie
25-Mar-10, 22:30
hi my pals energy saving light bulb went caput last night but just prior to it there was a long crackling noise and a smell of singing, has anyone else had experience of these bulbs going,
she's slightly worried that it was from another appliance in the room but with the light going she is quite convinced it was that.

upolian
25-Mar-10, 22:35
Would be a good idea to get the electrics tested! i used to do testing and you just wouldnt believe how many faulty electrics there are out there,not really worth the risk when it comes to electrics! i havnt heard of this before but id be over precautious with it rather than just ignore it and be dealing with a fire,sorry sounds a little harsh but being ignorant towards safety isnt good:) hope she has this looked at/sorted soon!

Stefan
26-Mar-10, 12:49
Been using energy saving bulbs since they came out (and now moving onto LED). They often make noises just before they go broken (=kaputt), some can sizzle for several weeks before they give up. I usually replace them when they start flickering or making a noise so never had a smell coming from them.

BTW, what has this german word got to do in english language? where does it come from?

Metalattakk
26-Mar-10, 13:27
BTW, what has this german word got to do in english language? where does it come from?

It is a German word, and we use it much the way they do in Germany, I believe. When things are 'kaputt', they are broken.

Stefan
26-Mar-10, 14:35
It is a German word, and we use it much the way they do in Germany, I believe. When things are 'kaputt', they are broken.

Yes, being German I should know that :lol: but when I asked "Where does it come from" I didn't mean which language or country but rather HOW did it end up in the english language?

Some words simply can not be translated or they are brand names, thats why they are transferred into other languages "as is", but "kaputt" simply means "broken, destroyed" so why is it part of the english language?

gleeber
26-Mar-10, 14:42
I have an idea about it's origin in the English language. When I was younger war comics were the rage and some of the more descriptive German words were often used to highlight a poor Germans downfall. Achtung was another one, Swinehund, not sure about the spelling, and Blitzkreig along with kaputt were the more common ones.
When we played commandos using real German words added some authenticity to the demise of our opponents.

teenybash
26-Mar-10, 14:44
Maybe 'kaputt' has been adopted the same as many other words from all over the world into UK language.............:)

golach
26-Mar-10, 14:45
Yes, being German I should know that :lol: but when I asked "Where does it come from" I didn't mean which language or country but rather HOW did it end up in the English language?

Some words simply can not be translated or they are brand names, thats why they are transferred into other languages "as is", but "kaputt" simply means "broken, destroyed" so why is it part of the english language?

Stefan, it is probably because of the UK troops, much of our military slanguage is made up from words and phrases from all over the world, many common day English is made up from words from our days in the Raj others come from Arabic. Others were probably picked up from WW1 & WW2 contact with German troops and their use of certain word such as "Kaputt" it is a very descriptive word and describes its meaning very well, such as the good old Scots word "Driech". Our forces were very good at taking words from other languages, and adapting them into our every day language.

Metalattakk
26-Mar-10, 15:05
Yes, being German I should know that :lol: but when I asked "Where does it come from" I didn't mean which language or country but rather HOW did it end up in the english language?

I believe golach's explanation (above) to be the correct one, although my awareness of the word most likely comes from gleeber's 'Commando' comic experience.

I have an idea about it's origin in the English language. When I was younger war comics were the rage and some of the more descriptive German words were often used to highlight a poor Germans downfall. Achtung was another one, Swinehund, not sure about the spelling, and Blitzkreig along with kaputt were the more common ones.
When we played commandos using real German words added some authenticity to the demise of our opponents.

You forgot 'Hande Hoch' and 'Gott in Himmel'. ;)

Never understood 'Schweinhund' though. It translates as 'pig-dog'. What's a pig-dog?

nicnak
26-Mar-10, 16:35
Yes we had one that started smoking and smelling, luckily we were in the house at the time because goodness knows what would have happened if we hadnt been! Now we are very careful.

Tubthumper
26-Mar-10, 18:32
What's 'Kaput' in Gaelic?