PDA

View Full Version : Dentist

neepnipper
23-May-06, 08:00
Does anyone know if there's a dentist north of Inverness where you can just ring up and make an appointment? I had awful tooth ache over the weekend, I got an appointment yesterday with the dentist in Wick but only by going through the NHS dental helpline as an emergency. I am on the waiting list to join the Wick dentist but it could be up to a year before I can just ring up and make an appointment.

According to the dentist yesterday I need root canal treatment which he said 'I would have to find someone to do', he's patched my tooth up and it will be OK for a few months but now I'm worried about finding a dentist to do the work I need. Any suggestions?

Kingetter
23-May-06, 08:58
a dentist north of Inverness where you can just ring up and make an appointment?

You and a very great many people wish for just that. Forget NHS Dentistry maybe until the "New Dental ?School?" in Wick is operating and Caithness has an NHS Dentist again. Maybe more info here on caithness.org.

mccaugm
23-May-06, 09:46
[evil] I moved up here from Ross-Shire and still go there for dental treatment.

I am led to believe to be treated by some dentists you have to pay a monthly fee or have to pay for your childrens dental care....thought that was supposed to be free across the board. Not sure how much of this is true but I am sure I will be enlightened

Alness is full up. Invergordon is a possibility. I have heard of people travelling from Aberdeenshire to Invergordon for treatment....how ridiculous is that?

Kingetter
23-May-06, 09:53
And I've heard Nairn mentioned.

I'm awful glad I've got none!

angela5
23-May-06, 10:04
[evil] I moved up here from Ross-Shire and still go there for dental treatment.

I am led to believe to be treated by some dentists you have to pay a monthly fee or have to pay for your childrens dental care....thought that was supposed to be free across the board. Not sure how much of this is true but I am sure I will be enlightened

Alness is full up. Invergordon is a possibility. I have heard of people travelling from Aberdeenshire to Invergordon for treatment....how ridiculous is that?

Bridges dental clinic in wick is £20 per year, but you still pay all your dental work. Every child under the age of 16 recieves free dental care.
Thurso dentist is £15 per month, but you get a few scale&polish treatments free and a few checkups free. you still need to pay for your dental work though.

Kingetter
23-May-06, 10:08
Actually, its a mess, that's what it is.

neepnipper
23-May-06, 10:44
Maybe I'll just tie a bit of string around the bloomin' tooth & pull it out, sounds like that'd be easier than finding a dentist to see to it!

changilass
23-May-06, 11:07
Do like Unicorn and have it done in Turkey, gets you a nice holiday as well lol

Carlo Gambino
23-May-06, 11:16
I have the same problems, I had a medical last week for getting offshore & I got a restricted 1, due to 2 fillings having dropped out recently. I went to the dentist yesterday & they did an emergency couple of fillings but said that it would have to be done properly in the future.
He also said that it would cost a lot of money & that the waiting list was over a year long.
Ive got 3 months to get them done or I will not be covered by my medical, I was holding out for the dental school, but now It doesn`t look as though I will have this option.
Makes me angry-as I can see, Im not alone

Fran
23-May-06, 17:53
at least the dental training unit will be openin august at wick which isnt too far away , and isnt there a new dentist at ormlie in thurso.
if you have a medical problem, eg diabetes, you can be seen by the hospital dentist. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_9_6v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_6_22.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

LENSMAN
23-May-06, 18:04
The bridges do not provide free treatment for under 16's.
Northern Holistic in Thurso provide NHS treatment for kids but charge a fortune for adults.

unicorn
23-May-06, 18:05
£24 for 2 fillings no waiting and great treatment,,, what a wonderful reason for more holidays!!!!!!

angela5
23-May-06, 18:25
The bridges do not provide free treatment for under 16's.
Northern Holistic in Thurso provide NHS treatment for kids but charge a fortune for adults.

Bridges Dental Clinic in Wick DO provide free dental treatment to a child under 16 years as long as one of their parents is a private patient.
Children under 16 are also seen free, by Mr Nicol at Caithness General.

footie chick
23-May-06, 19:21
My kids are getting seen in Pennyland School

misty woman
24-May-06, 11:38
Bridges Dental Clinic in Wick DO provide free dental treatment to a child under 16 years as long as one of their parents is a private patient.
Children under 16 are also seen free, by Mr Nicol at Caithness General.I am a private patient in bridges dental clinic,yet it would cost me £10.00 to register my children then another £15.00 each for a check up.so it is not free to under 16s.

davem
24-May-06, 11:50
0845 6442271 is the dental helpline for someone not registered with a dentist.
They often only do extractions as emergency treatment nothing fancy, they'll refer you for treatment often to a local dentist. I'll be ringing them soon too!

sasages
24-May-06, 13:38
why dont you try phoning dunbar hospital they have a dentist on the nhs and he is verry good.

Chillie
24-May-06, 14:31
I am a private patient in bridges dental clinic,yet it would cost me £10.00 to register my children then another £15.00 each for a check up.so it is not free to under 16s.

check-up's are free for a children under 16, i'm a private patient and i don't pay £15 per child for opening their mouths and saying AHHH.
If i were you, i'd check this out with the dentist. why is some children free and you are paying £15 for each of yours. it's £10 per year to have them registered this is for all your children, not each.

Chillie
24-May-06, 14:36
Children under 16 are also seen free, by Mr Nicol at Caithness General.

private patients, adults £20 a year, then any children you have can be covered for £10. check-up's free, dental work you pay for.
all children under 16 recieve free dental work on the nhs, sadly, this is a problem here with the lack of nhs dentists.
Mr Nicol does see children free, about the only one here that does.
Maybe angela you have been registered with bridges before these charges came out.

Victor Vendetta
24-May-06, 20:26
Bridges dental clinic in wick is £20 per year, but you still pay all your dental work. Every child under the age of 16 recieves free dental care.
Thurso dentist is £15 per month, but you get a few scale&polish treatments free and a few checkups free. you still need to pay for your dental work though.
Bridges Dental Clinic no longer treats children under the NHS.
We initially joined privately in order to get our children NHS treatment.
We were informed last year we all had to go private so we , if you'll pardon the pun, bit the bullet.
Previously we had been with the Gordon & Andrews partnership in Thurso which closed down.
We had been with a Mr Terry in Golspie for a short period of time but were not overly impressed.
Although we are now all private with Mr Erridge in Wick he does not charge the earth as some others do.
No monthly fee.
Unfortuneately the government let the genie out of the bottle when they made it so difficult for dentists to make a decent screw so a few left.
Once they realised what could be made they told their mates hence the frenzy.
Can't really blame them.
And for all the noises the govt make they no longer want you to consider dentists free unless of course you are Joe Rint!
3 Cheers for Tony and Gordon

bagpuss
29-May-06, 09:56
I signed up with my dentist under the Highland Dental Plan. Sure, it does cost- about £30 a month- but it covers everything. However, my dentist is away doing other things and I have to see someone else- a pity- as the original practitioner was very good with very nervous me.

Still, like the people who bemoan my 'death of town centres' posts, this is progress. I elieve tesco will soon be offering pharmacy/dentist/optician services- and if you're really lucky- a chiropodist service. Can't wait