PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in ghosts?

Scarybiscuits03
24-Mar-10, 16:46
I'm starting to wonder! Recently I've been seeing shadows and movements but when I look again, there is nothing there and then the other evening I went to go to bed and when I entered my bathroom closet I got a strong smell of cigar smoke. Nobody has ever smoked in my house and especially not in my top floor cupboard! It only lasted a few mins and then it disappeared........has anyone else had any similar experiences or should I consult a psychiatrist?!

porshiepoo
24-Mar-10, 18:27
Different people will tell you different things.
I would tell you that you were probably visited by spirit but others would tell you to run to that psychiatrist :lol:

Do I believe in ghosts? Nope.
Do I believe in spirit? Sure do.

I hate the term ghost as it implies a white sheet floating mid air with eye holes.
But I do believe in spirit and I do believe that spirit visit us and can make their presence known by moving things or introducing a smell or the memory of a smell.
Do you know anyone passed over that smoked?

As to why you're getting these visits, well that could be a multitude of scenarios.
Are you going through a difficult time in your life right now? I believe loved ones who have passed over like to let us know they're still here for comfort when we need them the most. Although from your post I'm guessing this smell did not remind you of anyone in particular.
Do you know the history of the house? Some spirits just linger meaning you no harm.

Whatever you end up believing take some advice and do not just put it down to your imagination. Keep an open mind and who knows, maybe you'll see something else. If you want to of course? :eek:

Aaldtimer
24-Mar-10, 18:33
..."should I consult a psychiatrist?!"...probably not...but definitely a Sparky to check out your wiring...and fit a Smoke Alarm!:D

John Little
24-Mar-10, 19:04
I did not believe in ghosts at all until October 25 2001. That's the date I saw a ghost in my house; not this one but the last one.

You don't believe until you see.

That's logical.

I know many will scoff. So did I.

Stark
24-Mar-10, 20:02
As JL said, untill you see one, you will be a sceptic.

I was, untill both myself and my then girlfreind witnessed spirit activity less than two feet in front of us. It was irrefutable as the "episode" went of for over a minuet, giving us both time to exsaust all other possibilities.

redeyedtreefrog
24-Mar-10, 20:27
untill you see one, you will be a sceptic.

Unless you're sceptical about what you see.

John Little
24-Mar-10, 20:30
Oh I am very sceptical about what I see.

The ghost taught me a valuable lesson. I don't know everything.

Whatever we saw, repeatedly, I have no explanation for. We term it 'ghost' because that's what our culture calls it.
One day Science may have an explanation - but until then 'ghost' will do me.

joxville
24-Mar-10, 20:52
I'm starting to wonder! Recently I've been seeing shadows and movements but when I look again, there is nothing there and then the other evening I went to go to bed and when I entered my bathroom closet I got a strong smell of cigar smoke. Nobody has ever smoked in my house and especially not in my top floor cupboard! It only lasted a few mins and then it disappeared........has anyone else had any similar experiences or should I consult a psychiatrist?!
No, because I've never been in your house. :)

Vistravi
24-Mar-10, 21:21
I did not believe in ghosts at all until October 25 2001. That's the date I saw a ghost in my house; not this one but the last one.

That's logical.

My partner did scoff but now he thinks theres more to it. His change of belief happened during a notion we had to take a walk around castletown harbour walk in the pitch black. We've done it so many times before in the dark but only once before with a pitch black sky. That once we were followed the whole way round the walk. But anyways the night in question which changed his view on spirits I had been upset earlier (As us pregnant women find it easy to find ourselves when something goes wrong lol) and we decided to go for a walk and enjoy the night sky. We only got a hundred feet in the pitch black before i couldn't go on. Maybe my abilites to sense spirits have gotten stronger or maybe it was just because i had been upset earlier and it left me completly open to the spirit world, of which i do not know. What i do know was that we were being followed and not in a nice way. We turned to go back and i felt my partner freeze. He stood still for a moment and then resumed walking. When we got back to the streey lighted area he told me he had felt the instinct to fight or flee and that he had felt that had been someone standing right in front of him. Up til that moment he had been a complete sceptic about spirits but now he does think theres more to it than before.

John Little
24-Mar-10, 21:24
Aye - it's what I felt. Exactly.
But I did not run away even though the shiver went all down my spine- as it did every time I saw him.

But after a while I recognised that the shiver was not fear - just a sign that 'he' was there.
And I stopped being afraid of him.

Weird.

Vistravi
24-Mar-10, 21:32

Lol you should try sitting in my mum's living room during the evening. There is always a smell of cigar smoke in one corner for about an hour and then disappears. My step dad thinks its his grandfather as it smells like the tobacco he used to smoke when he was alive.

My late dad walks me home after work. He was always worried about any of us walking in the dark espcilly in inverness. He walks on my right putting me into the inside of the pavement. It's quite nice knowing he's still around and looking out for me.

So to answer your question, yes i believe in spirits, its veyr hard not to after experiencing what i have experienced over the last couple of years.

Phill
24-Mar-10, 21:41
I hate the term ghost as it implies a white sheet floating mid air with eye holes.

You should try watching Scooby doo.

Scarybiscuits03
24-Mar-10, 21:45
The house does not have any history as we are the 1st to live here, which made me question myself more! I always felt a presence in my last house and when a family member came to visit she swore not to come back as she thought it was haunted (strangely also a new build), I always felt comfortable about it though whereas in this house I always feel as though Im being watched.
I believe I have seen a ghost of a little girl twice one night, watching over my OH as he kept coughing and spluttering in his sleep, then the next day my daughter had dreamed of the same girl, same clothes and she was looking for someone to take her in.......freaky.
Dont mind a little girl ghost, not so sure she should be smoking cigars though!

Cattach
24-Mar-10, 21:45

Either consult a shrink or leave of the bottle but forget about ghost they are in the mind and not for real.

redeyedtreefrog
24-Mar-10, 22:03
You should try watching Scooby doo.

Exactly, every time there's a ghost in Scooby Doo it's either the janitor or the guy who owns the water slide.

Vistravi
24-Mar-10, 22:09
The house does not have any history as we are the 1st to live here, which made me question myself more! I always felt a presence in my last house and when a family member came to visit she swore not to come back as she thought it was haunted (strangely also a new build), I always felt comfortable about it though whereas in this house I always feel as though Im being watched.
I believe I have seen a ghost of a little girl twice one night, watching over my OH as he kept coughing and spluttering in his sleep, then the next day my daughter had dreamed of the same girl, same clothes and she was looking for someone to take her in.......freaky.

It sounds like you've had someone move around with you. Growing up we always had a spirit in every hosue we've ever lived in. It is now my mum knows it is her mother and always has been her mother. She was very much for boys and i have 4 brothers. At first it bugged me that there was always someone there watching you come up the stairs but now i just say hello to her lol. The lassie could have been there from before the house you are in was built. My partner and i lived in a block of flats that were newly built and on the landing there was a spirit who constantly made me feel as if i was being pushed into out flat when it was dark. When my sister came to stay i asked her to tell me who it was outside on the landing and she told me that it was a woman who was scared and didn't want anyone out in the dark. She had been attacked but not in the flathouse before it had been built there. It is her fear that grounds her there.

My sister can see, sense emotions and can tell you exactly how the spirit came to be there and why they stay. She can mostly always tell you the spirit's name too. I can only sense them and pinpoint exactly where they are standing. I would love to develop it further but there are times when i am glad i can only sense them and pinpoint their location.

porshiepoo
25-Mar-10, 09:49

It certainly sounds as though you have spirit moving around with you. It certainly doesn't sound as though they intend any harm though.

The chances are that if you ever found out who it is and found their history then there's most likely going to be a connection to you somewhere.
Dig deep, you may just be able to make the little girl connection yourself?
As for the cigar smoke, don't you know anyone passed over that used to smoke them? A smell is usually there to connect a memory and if that smell is around the girl also then chances are that's where the connection to you will be.
It could also be that the smoker is the one bringing the little girl through or even vice versa.

I would so love to be able to connect with spirit in some way but I know that it's not meant to be.
I've connected in dreams but never the way a true medium would be able to.
I have had a strong belief of an afterlife since the day I was born. It's not something I had drilled into me - in fact it was not talked of too much - but I've always always 'known'.

I don't have a problem with people not believing, that's completely cool too but my belief of an afterlife and everything it means both in this life and in passing over has helped me through some horrific times in my life.

It would be great to know if you ever get to the bottom of your visits.

Incidentally how old is your daughter? I believe the younger they are the more open to spirit they are. The older they become the more cynical society teaches them to be and they lose their openness.

wicker8
25-Mar-10, 10:27
i am not so sure i believe

Sage
25-Mar-10, 10:34
I totally believe, but then again I've seen "ghosts" since I was little, on and off not all the time. It's not something I've ever questioned but I understand how some people are sceptical....until they see something for themselves :lol:

I would check out all the physcial possibilities though, just to make sure.

katarina
25-Mar-10, 13:35

seems it's you who are attracting the spirits,not the house. find out what they want.

ryrie
25-Mar-10, 14:19
didn't bevieve till my dad died. wouldn't say it was a ghost but a presence. weeks after he died i would wake in the middle of the night and he would be sitting at my side telling me he was ok.didn't tell anybody about it cause they would think i was crackin up.one night months after he died i had a BIG argument with oh, and thought i dreamt that he was telling me to leave and get out of the house,when i woke up i was sitting in the car freezing cold!!!!! spooky or what!

ducati
25-Mar-10, 14:47
I too am a sceptic, but reading this thread (and others in the past) makes you wonder:eek:

The Drunken Duck
25-Mar-10, 15:19
Dont believe in them myself.

Then again I was in an aircraft shelter in Germany many moons ago and one of the Techies came round from behind the jet looking a bit pale, he kept pointing to a corner of the shelter and asking me if I saw "it", I couldn't see a thing and just said no but he was quite animated about it. He said it was a figure of an "old style" Pilot and when he drew it later it looked like a German airman from the hat and jacket. Even that didnt make sense, the airfield wasnt even built until the early fifties so what a WW2 airman would be doing there beats me.

I dont buy into the idea but if other people do then fair enough. Maybe some people just cant "see" them ??

golach
25-Mar-10, 15:31
I enjoy spirits, especially Pussers Rum, Bacardi, Highland Park, Whyte & Mackays , Brandy, Port if I have a nice bit of Stilton with it. But as far as ghosts are concerened,I have no idea, never seen one, never heard one, what I cannot see, touch or smell, I have doubts about.

Thumper
25-Mar-10, 15:36
I was always wary about ghosts being real,until I saw one :eek: there was no other explaination for what I saw and it totally freaked me and my (then) hubby out! I think its ceratinly people who are more "open" to seeing these sorts of things,and children are particulalry good at it.Thats said one of my friends is "a man of science" and totally disbelieves in this sort of thing,so I guess its a matter of what you yourself believe in x

Shabbychic
25-Mar-10, 16:55
Well we have something loose aboot oor hoose. Things keep disappearing then some reappear anything from a few days to a few weeks later, in a totally different place or room. Some never reappear, especially cashew nuts for some reason.

The latest was about 3 weeks ago. Hubby was frying an egg and turned round to get something out the fridge. When he turned back, the spatula had gone. It hasn't turned up yet.

We also go through spells of knockings on windows, doors and walls. This drives the dogs crazy.

After years of this, hubby walked into the hall one night and found a wee wummin standing there. She was about five feet tall and wearing a long black dress with white piping down the front. She just looked at him then disappeared. He then shouted, "come back, I seen you," but she hasn't been seen since.

I can understand why many don't believe if they haven't experienced anything. I also wonder how many have strange things happen, like things disappearing and reappearing, and just blame it on the kids?

cuddlepop
25-Mar-10, 17:25
I've alwas believed in ghost but as yet have never seen one or at least I dont think so.

When i was about 12 we moved to an area that had a monestry at somepoint in the woods which ran down the side of the estate.The estate had been abandoned years before but you good still see the remains of the castle,servants quarters,boat house,summer garden etc.
We eventually found a horse graveyard and a dog one so whether or not it was our vivid imagination or not we often thought we saw monks,heard horse hoves and saw disappearing dogs.:confused

My dad died suddenly over 30 years ago and although I've never seen him I've often "felt" him close when I've needed help.:D
Mum and I liked to go for coffee and a piece of cake,her wee treat, so I still make sure there's a spare seat for her when we go out.:D

bekisman
25-Mar-10, 18:15
Don't know about 'ghosts' as such but a number of years ago Mrs Beks, did, on about four occasions watch a floating 'ball' - about the size of a tennis ball, but black, float across the bedroom.

On one occasion she had just finished a cross-stitch of a night-scene and had laid it on the bed. She then said to me 'did you see that'? What? - no did not see a thing.
She said she had watched this 'ball' slowly move across the room and 'hover' over the cross-stitch, before it faded away.

Well I'd never seen 'it' - until about 2 years ago, we were sitting down and I noticed a black ball; size of a tennis ball, move across the room and disappear - she did too, so no idea what that was about?
Not seen it since - any ideas?

Commore
25-Mar-10, 18:22
I am unsure, about ghosts that is, however, I intend to be one, one day
there is a particular person that I have promised to haunt, and haunt him I will if not in my lifetime, then after I am dead.

With regard to your cigar smoking "friend" from your cupboard, I did when I was younger, experience similar but again no explanation could be found,

I think maybe the "spirit" of a person could linger awhile,

Vistravi
26-Mar-10, 00:15
Well we have something loose aboot oor hoose. Things keep disappearing then some reappear anything from a few days to a few weeks later, in a totally different place or room. Some never reappear, especially cashew nuts for some reason.

The latest was about 3 weeks ago. Hubby was frying an egg and turned round to get something out the fridge. When he turned back, the spatula had gone. It hasn't turned up yet.

We also go through spells of knockings on windows, doors and walls. This drives the dogs crazy.

After years of this, hubby walked into the hall one night and found a wee wummin standing there. She was about five feet tall and wearing a long black dress with white piping down the front. She just looked at him then disappeared. He then shouted, "come back, I seen you," but she hasn't been seen since.

I can understand why many don't believe if they haven't experienced anything. I also wonder how many have strange things happen, like things disappearing and reappearing, and just blame it on the kids?

Thats a bit mad lol. I wonder what the woman wanted with everything? Could you perhaps have a poltergist in your home?

Don't know about 'ghosts' as such but a number of years ago Mrs Beks, did, on about four occasions watch a floating 'ball' - about the size of a tennis ball, but black, float across the bedroom.

On one occasion she had just finished a cross-stitch of a night-scene and had laid it on the bed. She then said to me 'did you see that'? What? - no did not see a thing.
She said she had watched this 'ball' slowly move across the room and 'hover' over the cross-stitch, before it faded away.

Well I'd never seen 'it' - until about 2 years ago, we were sitting down and I noticed a black ball; size of a tennis ball, move across the room and disappear - she did too, so no idea what that was about?
Not seen it since - any ideas?

Hmm sounds like one of those orbs things. I've never seen one myself but i do know they are about and can be found anywhere.

Phill
26-Mar-10, 11:36
I've seen and heard some weirdy goings on but I'm still not convinced about ghosts.
I've had experience of ESP and Deja vu, but I guess we've all had that in some form or another. It was more prevalent when I was younger.

Like Conmore's suggestion, I do like the idea of becoming a ghost, just out of pure devilment. The childishness of it makes it so appealing, moving and hiding stuff. Tapping the back of someone's knee when their stood up so they collapse in a heap.
Also with a technical bent, make cash machines spew out money. Make lifts go to every other floor but the one people want. Switching things on and off.

The list is endless.

porshiepoo
26-Mar-10, 12:51
I've seen and heard some weirdy goings on but I'm still not convinced about ghosts.
I've had experience of ESP and Deja vu, but I guess we've all had that in some form or another. It was more prevalent when I was younger.

Like Conmore's suggestion, I do like the idea of becoming a ghost, just out of pure devilment. The childishness of it makes it so appealing, moving and hiding stuff. Tapping the back of someone's knee when their stood up so they collapse in a heap.
Also with a technical bent, make cash machines spew out money. Make lifts go to every other floor but the one people want. Switching things on and off.

The list is endless.

Ahhhh, but what do you think Deja Vu is????
I believe that when we are on the other side we design a kind of blue print for the major events in our next life. We base these events on experiences and emotions that we wish to experience and the lessons we can learn from them.
I personally believe that Daja Vu is our spirit self telling us we are on track with what we hoped for this life. In other words we feel we have experienced certain moments before because in a sense we have - when we designed our blueprint on the other side.

andrew.bowles30
26-Mar-10, 21:42
we do we lived at the cross and my wife and mother in law did see some shadows more upstaires you did feel as you were been watched but nothing bad happend so you belive in them they dont want to hurt you they just have not realised they should ave gone and some beive they have something to do first :);)

Sandra_B
26-Mar-10, 21:48
I didn't believe in ghosts, till I saw one. Now I do.

David Banks
18-Feb-16, 16:42

That's logical.

Oh I am very sceptical about what I see.

The ghost taught me a valuable lesson. I don't know everything.

Whatever we saw, repeatedly, I have no explanation for. We term it 'ghost' because that's what our culture calls it.
One day Science may have an explanation - but until then 'ghost' will do me.

Aye - it's what I felt. Exactly.
But I did not run away even though the shiver went all down my spine- as it did every time I saw him.

But after a while I recognised that the shiver was not fear - just a sign that 'he' was there.
And I stopped being afraid of him.

Weird.

To find out more:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FPossibly-Ghosts-John-Little%2Fdp%2F1523835915%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fs%3Dbook s%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1455750774%26sr%3D1-1%26keywords%3DPossibly%2Bghosts&h=4AQEasVMb