PDA

View Full Version : Normal

John Little
24-Mar-10, 13:48
I'm putting this in a new thread as I don't want to either thread drift or appear to challenge.

As far as I am aware the only person I would regard as being a normal person is someone from the city of Normal, Illinois.

Reference is often made to normal people.

I am ready to be enlightened and I hereby promise not to post on this thread again unless/until it reaches the top of its third page- because I want to read what people think and not to argue with them.

What is 'Normal'?

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Mar-10, 13:53
Normal is, the majority rule.

changilass
24-Mar-10, 13:57
Oxford English Dictonary definition:

conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

cherokee
24-Mar-10, 14:03
Normal Is.....

1. Doing Unto Others, As You'd Have Done To Yourself.

2. Never, knowingly or with malice, do harm.

3. Change the things you can,
Ignore the things you can't,
Appreciate the things you have.

4. Being able to forgive when you feel wrong done by.

5. Telling those you love, that you love them...... you never know what tomorrow may bring...

To me, this is what a "normal" person, in an ideal world, would be like......?

ducati
24-Mar-10, 14:14
Normal Is.....

5. Telling those you love, that you love them...... you never know what tomorrow may bring...

Sorry Cherokee, That would be loveley, but it is not my experience of normal :(

changilass
24-Mar-10, 14:28
Normal Is.....

Real world normal

1. Have absolutely NO consideration for others.

2. Stab folks in the back quickly, afore they do it to you.

3. Do things your own way and sod everyone else's opionions along the way.

4. Hold on to grudges even when you have forgoton the original reason.

5. Never saying I love you for fear of getting used.

Unfortunately ths is is more likey to happen these day :~(

Can I come live in your ideal world please Cherokee?

northener
24-Mar-10, 14:28
A 'normal' person is judged and labelled thus by their peers.

In a room full of nutters, the sane one isn't 'normal'.

cherokee
24-Mar-10, 14:32
Hey guys, I do live in my Own Little World............

but its OK, cos they all know me there !!!!;)

Gronnuck
24-Mar-10, 15:32
Wayward flatulence and howling at the moon could be normal for some folks but not for me . . . . . Phaaaaaaarp oh . . . . . AaaaaWwwwwOooooooooooooooooo ;)

Red
24-Mar-10, 15:37
Statistically speaking normal is classified as 70% of a population, as defined by a normal distribution curve.

I think that it would be very difficult in most walks of life to find 70% of people who wholly agree on one particular thing to be defined as normal, therefore are we all abnormal?

Phill
24-Mar-10, 16:26
So does normal be like where we all conform to a particular set of standards and rules n' stuff?

Bügger that. I'm free, free as a bird. I do my own thing my own way and choose B&B's very carefully. 'cept I'm not a weirdo like, I'm not abnormal y'know. Just because I still have invisible friends doesn't mean I don't fit in to mainstream society, well......I will soon the doctors say.

Kenn
24-Mar-10, 16:33
Take away the abnormal and presumably what you have is normal but when abnormal is defined as "Exceptional, deviating from type," (Oxford dictionary,) then I think there must be a very small minority who would qualify!

Kodiak
24-Mar-10, 17:01
It is Normal to want to be Normal, so if you want to be Normal you must be Normal. QED!!! :D

Commore
24-Mar-10, 17:28
Normal is, the majority rule.

So said Hitler!

Commore
24-Mar-10, 17:30
Normal Is.....

Serenity, and a good Christian background, perfick!! :)

The Drunken Duck
24-Mar-10, 17:41
Normal is something I dont want to be.

EDDIE
24-Mar-10, 18:20
I'm putting this in a new thread as I don't want to either thread drift or appear to challenge.

As far as I am aware the only person I would regard as being a normal person is someone from the city of Normal, Illinois.

Reference is often made to normal people.

I am ready to be enlightened and I hereby promise not to post on this thread again unless/until it reaches the top of its third page- because I want to read what people think and not to argue with them.

What is 'Normal'?

Its not so much as what is normal but who decides whats normal or what gives anyone the right to decide whats normal.

porshiepoo
24-Mar-10, 18:33
Depends on what you are trying to define as "normal".
I'm assuming you are talking about people here though! So what is normal in people? Again depends on how you define "normal" I guess.

Is it "normal" behaviour for a person to be abusive? a thief? flatulent? Homophobic?
Well it is to the person who is actually showing that behaviour.
Obviously it's not normal to those of us who don't do it but who is to decide what is normal and what isn't?
Some of the things above may be illegal but does that make them abnormal? Or just normal behaviour that we find inappropriate??

Who knows! and I'm all confuddled now! :eek:

joxville
24-Mar-10, 20:30
I've been told many times over the years that I'm eccentric but I don't see it. If others don't do/say/behave the way I do why does that make me eccentric? I'm just me, maybe not 'normal', but not eccentric either.

Vistravi
24-Mar-10, 21:40
Normal is something I dont want to be.

Same here i like being different ;)

onecalledk
25-Mar-10, 10:45
normal is surely what society accepts as being the most appropriate way to behave at that given time ?

Society creates "normal". It is a made up term really to keep people in little boxes.....

As we are all by definition UNIQUE individuals then we are surely all "normal" in our own way?

K

cuddlepop
25-Mar-10, 17:31
normal is surely what society accepts as being the most appropriate way to behave at that given time ?

Society creates "normal". It is a made up term really to keep people in little boxes.....

As we are all by definition UNIQUE individuals then we are surely all "normal" in our own way?

K

I like your explanation of normal its so true that its all tied in with society expectations.
My youngest isnt "normal" but she much more interesting with all her quirks and voibles.:D

wicker8
25-Mar-10, 18:54
nobody is normal just human

Bazeye
25-Mar-10, 19:44
I'm normal.....wibble...wibble...wibble....

ducati
25-Mar-10, 21:47
I'm "special" apparently

Blarney
25-Mar-10, 22:20

K
This is probably fairly near to what I would term as 'normal'. I think normal should probably be defined as conforming to society's general rules of behaviour and etiquette whilst still having some individual personal traits and characteristics. Being termed 'non-conformist' would be preferable to being tagged 'abnormal'!!