PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD - Installation

ShelleyCowie
23-Mar-10, 17:17
My OH has been doing my head in these last few months about Sky HD because everyone keeps telling him its free for the box and whatever.

So i phoned them today and they said i have to pay £60 to get it installed! :eek: Ahem...excuse them! I can do it myself for free! Why do i need anyone to do it for me? I understand who does it, they dont the Sky+ box which i understand that because i needed a new dish and cables. But that was only £30.

£60 just to swap the box?! Surely they are having a laugh!

Then some of my mates tell me they are gettin it for free (installation i mean) so i phone back and they said the only deal they can offer me on my account is multi-room :mad: i dont need multi room. i dont want it. I have nearly all sky packages, which aint cheap as most can say.

Yet i can only get a deal on multi-room?! :roll:

Bobinovich
23-Mar-10, 17:19
If your contract is up then tell them you're leaving - they'll soon give you anything you want to keep you as a customer.

Gronnuck
23-Mar-10, 18:08
Shelley I use to work for BSkyB in Livingston. :eek: If you're an existing customer coming to the end of your contract tell them you will not be renewing and you wish to terminate. They will stall and pass you to 'turnaround' where they can make all sorts of offers to keep you on board.
At the end of the day the stockholders need to see increasing numbers of customers, a consistant annual revenue stream through Pay-Per-View as well as subscriptions and minimum 'churn'. They are desperately in need of customers.
BSkyB can be awfully expensive. While I worked for them I got their 'top tier' for free. There is no way I could afford it otherwise.
Good luck to you ;)

Cattach
23-Mar-10, 18:10
My OH has been doing my head in these last few months about Sky HD because everyone keeps telling him its free for the box and whatever.

So i phoned them today and they said i have to pay £60 to get it installed! :eek: Ahem...excuse them! I can do it myself for free! Why do i need anyone to do it for me? I understand who does it, they dont the Sky+ box which i understand that because i needed a new dish and cables. But that was only £30.

Then some of my mates tell me they are gettin it for free (installation i mean) so i phone back and they said the only deal they can offer me on my account is multi-room :mad: i dont need multi room. i dont want it. I have nearly all sky packages, which aint cheap as most can say.

No problem, got it free. Just said for free or not at all and that was it sorted. Even cancelled my ESPN at the same time.

ShelleyCowie
23-Mar-10, 18:12
Unfortunately my contract isnt up til next january :( so cant even threaten that.

Its just bugs me i need to pay that £60 for the box to be swapped! Just cant be justified!

Cattach
23-Mar-10, 18:21
Unfortunately my contract isnt up til next january :( so cant even threaten that.

Its just bugs me i need to pay that £60 for the box to be swapped! Just cant be justified!

What contract have you got? Have you just taken it out this January? Not even sure that the contact is binding for any length of time. You should check.

ShelleyCowie
23-Mar-10, 18:27
What contract have you got? Have you just taken it out this January? Not even sure that the contact is binding for any length of time. You should check.

Im not sure what type of contract i have. It was taken out january 2009

poppett
23-Mar-10, 18:38
I have had so many problems with Sky+ and their answer to that is get Sky HD and it will be ok..............don`t want it, don`t need it, and certainly can`t afford to pay more for it. We are on our fourth Sky+ box and they seem to have a mind of their own about what they will record and/or playback. I got so piddled off with them I sent an email outlining our catalogue of disasters to the chief executive, saying I had no option but to leave.............well within days they had arranged a dis-install/re-install from outside to in with a new, as in brand new, still in the box Sky+ recorder box.
Unfortunately the installer was having a bad hair day and decided he knew better and only did part of the work. Got narky when I asked for the new zapper as the old one still worked! Executive dept have been more than helpful, but unfortunately still have problems with channels which won`t record although the signal is perfectly fine, so on Thursday someone else is coming along to do the job (hopefully properly) again.

In the meantime I have got the package half price for three months to cushion the blow, offered, not asked for.

The most irritating thing of all was they originally tried to tell me the year`s warranty was on the original box only, not the latest new one installed last July! Executive dept soon put that straight too. For as long as I remain a Sky customer I have a direct line number to phone now for any problems and a dedicated email addy.

Excellent customer service now, but why oh why has it taken almost three years of nagging to get us there.

Kodiak
23-Mar-10, 21:43
I think you waited just a little too long as not too long ago there were offers where you could get a free HD Box with Free Installation. This I think has now run out, This is what they say on their web page now :-
Experience the wonder of high definition for less. A Sky+HD box is now free when you take the HD Pack and join or stay with Sky for a year - with free standard set-up when you join Sky TV online or stay with Sky and take a new Multiroom subscription. Plus we'll give you a £50 M&S voucher when you join online by 25 March.

So it looks like you need to take at least the multiroom subscription which would be £10.00 a Month extra + the Subscription for the HD Service. I would suggest that you phone them once a week and ask what special offers they have as they change them quite often. Then if you get offered one that suits you take it.

My son did this and he got a real good offer. Free HD Box with Free Installation, No extra Charge for the HD Service for 12 Months and on top of that he got his Subscription at 50% Off for 12 Months. This was offered for only a very short period of time during the month of November last year. I missed it but I did get a Free HD Box and Free Installation but I have to pay for the HD Service.

Keep on trying and you never know you might just get lucky, Good Luck and I hope you get your HD Box soon.

Macwull
23-Mar-10, 22:00
go on to digitalspy.com and go to sky hd forum, some of there members get vouchers with there sky mag for free hd and free install, i got a code of a member in november as as u say there was no way i was paying for swapping a box! install in december and its class!!

worth a try!

shelley, I always beleived that any sky contract was a yearly contract. Maybe the CSA is trying to pull one over on u!

Phill
23-Mar-10, 22:23
Is Sky HD where you pay a fortune to watch the tellybox get all pixelated when it rains 'cept you get a better class of pixelation?

*Martin*
23-Mar-10, 22:40
I saw this link (http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/635089/free-sky-hd-box-free-standard-set-u?) on HotUKDeals.com and am now getting SkyHD installed in the beginning of April.

Free Box
Free Installation
Free HD subscription
All channels except sport and movies

£11 a month for a year!

So I'm pretty chuffed!! When the wife phoned to cancel it in her name all they offered was the package we are on at a tenner a month. No fancy box or anything :(

Just need a new tele now :lol:

ShelleyCowie
23-Mar-10, 22:44
Thing is, why on earth does a loyal customer have to pay £60 for an installation? They should not charge through the roof for it. I would pay no more than £30, with minor moaning though [lol]

Like a few weeks ago, my OH called to change our gas over to the Hydro. Same as our electric and just because he done that they have given us a lifetime discount of out gas and electric by 10%. He didnt even ask for that. Now thats good service.

But not sky....noooooooooooooo way its to hard! Sorry im ranting but this makes me a bit mad. Im quite tempted to phone and say install it for free or i get freeview! Because i am pretty sure its just a 1 year contract i had! I thought it automatically got renewed each year. obviously not! Lol

Moonboots
23-Mar-10, 22:52
Im afraid the only offer i can give out is the same as you were offered.
Free Sky+HD Box but £60 install or if taking multiroom then its £30 install.

Do what you have been advised. Phone up and say you are wanting HD but cant afford to pay £60 to get it installed. They might just say sorry but they cant....

The main problem you have got is that your tied into a contract at the moment. They know that and wont be bothered about it.

There was an offer recently about providing free install.. I will have a look and see what i can find.

ShelleyCowie
23-Mar-10, 23:05
Im afraid the only offer i can give out is the same as you were offered.
Free Sky+HD Box but £60 install or if taking multiroom then its £30 install.

Do what you have been advised. Phone up and say you are wanting HD but cant afford to pay £60 to get it installed. They might just say sorry but they cant....

The main problem you have got is that your tied into a contract at the moment. They know that and wont be bothered about it.

There was an offer recently about providing free install.. I will have a look and see what i can find.

Moonboots! I was hoping you would see this! :)

I am pretty darn sure it was a 1 year contract i had so that shud of been up in January passed!

I just dont understand why i should pay £60 for a box swap?! Non justified i think. I can buy something far better with that money! Like 30 bottles of irn bru! [lol]

Moonboots
23-Mar-10, 23:17
Im always around lol

Since you have gone passed your year subby then call them and say you want to cancel.. as what a few people have already suggested...

They will do their best to get money out of you but dont give in. Just tell them you want to get put through to cancellations... which of course is the turnaround dept. They will always do their best to keep you.. Just say you want to cancel because you want HD and sky are not willing to provide me with an HD box without paying an install charge.... Trust me it will work...

I wasnt sure if you were still in contract... If you are then you can always call up and say you are having problems with your box.. ;-) then they will get an engineer out to fix it for free after you negotiate the visit price lol... and say to them then... will you be able to install HD instead... 9 times out of 10 they will say yes...

Sky are cold-calling at the moment offering the same offer as was said in the previous replies. Free Sky+HD Box, Free Install, Free HD Subscription for a year and Half price on the TV subscription for a year. Saying it loyalty... however they are pushing for all of sky customers to have a Sky+HD box...

Moonboots
23-Mar-10, 23:21
I got so piddled off with them I sent an email outlining our catalogue of disasters to the chief executive, saying I had no option but to leave.............well within days they had arranged a dis-install/re-install from outside to in with a new, as in brand new, still in the box Sky+ recorder box.

For as long as I remain a Sky customer I have a direct line number to phone now for any problems and a dedicated email addy.

Do I not get any thanks for that poppet lol

Moonboots
23-Mar-10, 23:30
When you become a new customer to sky. You get into a contract for 12 months. I know sky are wanting to change this to 18 months and no doubt they will soon tho.

Moonboots
23-Mar-10, 23:43
Shelley - CALL SKY 08442 411276 and give them this code...PM'd the code to you

Just advise them that you were given this from a friend.

This gives you free Sky+HD box.. Free install and 3 months free HD subscription.

ShelleyCowie
23-Mar-10, 23:58
Shelley - CALL SKY 08442 411276 and give them this code...PM'd the code to you

Just advise them that you were given this from a friend.

This gives you free Sky+HD box.. Free install and 3 months free HD subscription.

Ok dokey! Just sent u a PM but u have answered my question here!

Thanks very much moonboots! What a life saver! :Razz Will get no more nagging from the OH! lol

Moonboots
24-Mar-10, 00:01
Thats no problem shelley..

Let me know how you get on after you have called.

dx100uk
24-Mar-10, 01:26
https://www.theskyteam.co.uk/OFFERFROMSKY/

Any package is half the normall price you can get the lot for around 25 quid you must have at least one and you get HD channels free HD box free and free install but only the HD channels that arnt in a seperate package ie film,ss1,2,3,etc if you want them you have to have that package.

ends 31st march

dx

upolian
24-Mar-10, 13:11
It all seems such a hassle for watching loads of repeated programs,£60 for changing a box they must be having an effin laugh?

Cattach
24-Mar-10, 14:04
Im not sure what type of contract i have. It was taken out january 2009

That being the case you were out of contract this January, 2010.

Moonboots
24-Mar-10, 15:07
https://www.theskyteam.co.uk/OFFERFROMSKY/

Any package is half the normall price you can get the lot for around 25 quid you must have at least one and you get HD channels free HD box free and free install but only the HD channels that arnt in a seperate package ie film,ss1,2,3,etc if you want them you have to have that package.

ends 31st march

dx

This offer is already closed.

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-10, 15:51
Thats no problem shelley..

Let me know how you get on after you have called.

I phoned and got the deal just now! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting installed next month :Razz

Kodiak
24-Mar-10, 16:20
Well Done ShelleyBain, I am sure you will love the HD System. :D

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-10, 17:52
Well Done ShelleyBain, I am sure you will love the HD System. :D

I hope its good! Iv only done it to keep my OH quiet for a while! :roll: [lol]

Phill
24-Mar-10, 18:06
How much does all this 'magic telly from the stars' cost per month?

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-10, 18:09

You mean HD? I have no idea, im gettin it free for the first 3 months. Think it might just be an extra £10 on top o ur bill then

Phill
24-Mar-10, 18:25
I've just bin t' sky and had a look, crikey, I think I need a lie down. :eek:

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-10, 18:34
I've just bin t' sky and had a look, crikey, I think I need a lie down. :eek:

Pricey aint it! :roll: I didnt want HD, it was my OH. I dont even like the menu set up they have for it, seen it at my sisters. I like the way it is on my Sky+. Sky+ is a god-send tho! :lol:

Moonboots
24-Mar-10, 21:01
Pricey aint it! :roll: I didnt want HD, it was my OH. I dont even like the menu set up they have for it, seen it at my sisters. I like the way it is on my Sky+. Sky+ is a god-send tho! :lol:

Glad to hear you got it ordered ok.

The EPG (menu) is something that takes time to get used to but i wouldnt go back to the old one.

The old EPG is getting phased out.. thats why they are not offering any sky+ boxes or standard boxes anymore... They want everyone to use the Sky+HD box. They can be used as a standard box or Sky+. It also makes them easier to upgrade to any setup.. HD etc... and to future protect the boxes for the Video On Demand, 3D, etc....

cesare
24-Mar-10, 22:06
a valuable lesson was learned here today...Nothing is Free
now if every sky customer gave 3£ a week they would be no poverty???
possibly
OH The Dillema :<

Phill
24-Mar-10, 22:19
Pricey aint it!

And then some. On top of the licence fee too, £500 a year to watch enders, Jezza Kyle and the Morecambe & Wise Christmas special.

I'll just buy the M&W DVD and watch it at my convenience :roll:

Tom Cornwall
26-Mar-10, 19:25

I got a phone call from Sky out of the blue saying he was making me an offer I couldn't refuse...I said 'how much is it going to cost me?' and he said 'Nothing'..so I said ' what's the offer' and he said 'We'll give you a Sky+HD box for nothing, install it for nothing and no HD subscription to pay for 12 months' ...so I repeated back to him what he said, and asked him if that was right..he said 'Yes' , I asked him what happens after 12 months and he said the subscription would be an extra £10, but if I didn't like it I could put it back...so I said 'ok'....3 days later the man turned up with a brand-new HD box and it's working perfectly..no-one I know got a call like that, so am I lucky or what?

devil's sidekick
26-Mar-10, 19:51

I offered you the voucher i got on tuesday for the exact same offer you got and you said you would get back to me in 20 mins when OH came in from work and you never I dont understand

ShelleyCowie
26-Mar-10, 19:53
I offered you the voucher i got on tuesday for the exact same offer you got and you said you would get back to me in 20 mins when OH came in from work and you never I dont understand

I know, sorry! :( I could have sworn i phoned u back and said yes! Thot Alana just forgot to give it to me [lol] we will blame her a wee bit lol

Moonboots
27-Mar-10, 00:57
I got a phone call from Sky out of the blue saying he was making me an offer I couldn't refuse...I said 'how much is it going to cost me?' and he said 'Nothing'..so I said ' what's the offer' and he said 'We'll give you a Sky+HD box for nothing, install it for nothing and no HD subscription to pay for 12 months' ...so I repeated back to him what he said, and asked him if that was right..he said 'Yes' , I asked him what happens after 12 months and he said the subscription would be an extra £10, but if I didn't like it I could put it back...so I said 'ok'....3 days later the man turned up with a brand-new HD box and it's working perfectly..no-one I know got a call like that, so am I lucky or what?

As what i said in the previous posts , check below

Sky are cold-calling at the moment offering the same offer as was said in the previous replies. Free Sky+HD Box, Free Install, Free HD Subscription for a year and Half price on the TV subscription for a year. Saying it loyalty... however they are pushing for all of sky customers to have a Sky+HD box...

Kodiak
01-Apr-10, 23:41
i recently had a sky install from moon boots and i must say it's the worst thing i've done after countless phone calls too sky i have found out that he is not a sky installer and is not approved to install it.
There is no come back on his installs as he should not be doing these things as sky have not even heard off him as an installer.
sky are now looking into this for me but as yet i have no sky although i've payed my money

Well last year I had Moonboots reconnect my SKY + Box. He was very helpful, Very Quick and efficent and did not charge the earth either.

He had my SKY up and running very quickly and and made sure that I was receiving all the channels that I was supposed to.

You do not need to be approved by SKY to do installations, all you need need is the technical knowledge and as far as I could see see moonboots has all the necessary technical knowledge required.

Moonboots
02-Apr-10, 00:38
Hi Hammer,

Your talking total rubbish and providing false information.....
I am not a Sky Installer but an Independant Satellite Installer authorised to install Sky.
I am registered on their ASA System....
I have not done any recent Sky installs so there is no way that i have installed your system....

Think you should get your facts right before you try slandering someone.

Thanks

Moonboots
02-Apr-10, 00:39
Well last year I had Moonboots reconnect my SKY + Box. He was very helpful, Very Quick and efficent and did not charge the earth either.

He had my SKY up and running very quickly and and made sure that I was receiving all the channels that I was supposed to.

You do not need to be approved by SKY to do installations, all you need need is the technical knowledge and as far as I could see see moonboots has all the necessary technical knowledge required.

Thanks for your nice comments Kodiak...

dx100uk
02-Apr-10, 02:22
it begs to work out how the user knows moonboots installed his system?
going by previous posts, they number only 13 from 2005 and most i must say are rather ....... well i'll leave it there.

i think its whats called a troll in other forums, either that or drinks/drugs are playing their part here.

very strange.

dx