PDA

View Full Version : Referal order

changilass
23-Mar-10, 14:07
Can anyone explain what this is please.

Just heard on the news that a 13yr old boy has been placed on the sex offenders list and given a 12 month referal order for raping a 3 yr old girl.

So wondered what the referal order was.

I am presuming this is English law but they didn't specify.

changilass
23-Mar-10, 14:14
ok just googled and this is what I came up with

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9843F55C-CF06-4F38-A782-D2B35FF1FA75/69722/ReferalOrdersSampleCopy.pdf

Basically:

Most young offenders appearing before a youth court for the first time will be given a mandatory referral to a youth offender panel IF they plead guilty. Referral orders are only available for fist-time convictions where the sentence is not fixed by law and where a custodial sentence is not appropriate. The youth offender panel will agree a programme of behaviour with the young person. The programme's aims are to prevent re-offending and some measure of restorative justice. The programme will be written down in a youth offender contract.

Seems like he got off very lightly.

ducati
23-Mar-10, 16:45
ok just googled and this is what I came up with

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9843F55C-CF06-4F38-A782-D2B35FF1FA75/69722/ReferalOrdersSampleCopy.pdf

Basically:

Most young offenders appearing before a youth court for the first time will be given a mandatory referral to a youth offender panel IF they plead guilty. Referral orders are only available for fist-time convictions where the sentence is not fixed by law and where a custodial sentence is not appropriate. The youth offender panel will agree a programme of behaviour with the young person. The programme's aims are to prevent re-offending and some measure of restorative justice. The programme will be written down in a youth offender contract.

Seems like he got off very lightly.

Usually combined with some kind of community service and reparation to the victim.