PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear one?

Vistravi
23-Mar-10, 00:32
Had a discussion with a friend the other day about watches. He feels naked without one whereas i don't wear one outside work at all. If out of the house I use my phone to check the time and in the house the wall clock.

I used to always need to wear a watch but now i feel strange wearing one outside of work. :confused Lord knows what changed that :lol:

How do you feel about your watch?

dafi
23-Mar-10, 00:38
I hadent had one since i was a teenager and never felt the need for one. I was given one for my birthday 18 months ago and now feel strange when i am not wearing it. I almost compusively start glancing at my wrist!! I dont know what this says about me....if anything..lol

Dadie
23-Mar-10, 00:44
Mine is gold plated but washing gave me a rash underneath the strap so I dont wear it much and really just look at my phone when out and about!
But Im lucky nothing really has to be done to time.... as im at home as long as it gets done sometime its ok!.... but when I was at work every 5 mins had to be accounted for!:eek:

joxville
23-Mar-10, 00:48
I've always worn a watch, and I too feel naked without it. Even when I'm sunbathing I wear a watch.

Phill
23-Mar-10, 00:52
I used to always wear a watch, always. Even when in bed, nekid 'cept fer a watch.

Now, I can't find it half the time. I did notice today that I hadn't corrected the date since the end of Feb', it still shows as the 19th.

Bobinovich
23-Mar-10, 00:54
Haven't worn one for years. My mobile is with me pretty much all the time and, seeing as it has my diary, to do list, notes, calendar, camera, MP3 player, wee 'passing time' games etc. it's far more functional than any watch.

Dadie
23-Mar-10, 00:56
*laughs*
there is hardly a difference between me with a tan or not!
>Blue or pasty white and peeling!
After the lobster red and so sore stage I try not to do !!!

webmannie
23-Mar-10, 00:59
I'd miss mine instantly as it is so heavy, i've one arm longer than the other coz of it, lol!! (for Watchmatologist's, it's a Breitling Super Avenger). It was always on my 'things to buy, when i could afford it'. Aston Martin is next!

Vistravi
23-Mar-10, 01:01
I hadent had one since i was a teenager and never felt the need for one. I was given one for my birthday 18 months ago and now feel strange when i am not wearing it. I almost compusively start glancing at my wrist!! I dont know what this says about me....if anything..lol

I started wearing one as a teenager and it came compulsary to wear one. Now a watch on my small wrists just looks strange. My partner would be lost without one.

Dadie
23-Mar-10, 01:27
Had a shot in an aston martin or 2 when they decided to visit Dounreay.... I must be a dumb blonde or just female.... I didnt find that an aston martin even though it was used by james bond in the films was "all that" at all!... even if the guys I was with didnt speak to me all the rest of the day after a spin in 1 which they didnt get the offer of as it was driven by a BOF who thought he fancied his chances...(in my book not a chance in hell)

joxville
23-Mar-10, 01:36
I used to always wear a watch, always. Even when in bed, nekid 'cept fer a watch.

Now, I can't find it half the time. I did notice today that I hadn't corrected the date since the end of Feb', it still shows as the 19th.

I stopped wearing a watch in bed after too many complaints from ladies being scratched. ;)

ducati
23-Mar-10, 01:41
I'd miss mine instantly as it is so heavy, i've one arm longer than the other coz of it, lol!! (for Watchmatologist's, it's a Breitling Super Avenger). It was always on my 'things to buy, when i could afford it'. Aston Martin is next!

I've not worn one for 30 years or more but I do keep promising myself one of those super slim Longines, really just because of the association with speed records :cool:

Oh, and the definition of an optimist is someone who thinks they can just about afford to run an Aston

Metalattakk
23-Mar-10, 02:59
Oh, and the definition of an optimist is someone who thinks they can just about afford to run an Aston

I reckon he could just about afford to run one, but not to buy one and run one. ;)

Anyway, to the question in hand (or wrist):

I wear a watch (and a wedding ring and glasses) when I'm outside or in a public place like a pub, and take them all off once I'm inside (work or home).

I don't know why. It just feels right. :cool:

twiglet
23-Mar-10, 07:17
I feel lost without one. I have a good collection of wrist watches but after developing a reaction to the metal reverted to wearing my old nursing watch.

jings00
23-Mar-10, 08:16
i have a pocket watch my dad gave me for my 21st, but other than that i don't own a watch.
tend to use the mobile for checking the time.

Invisible
23-Mar-10, 11:06
I always wear a watch, I feel lost without one, still have old watches as I'd never let an old watch get destroyed.

I lost my watch the other day, I would have looked for it but I didn't have the time.

Alan16
23-Mar-10, 11:57
I lost my watch the other day, I would have looked for it but I didn't have the time.

BOO!!!

Anyway, I wear one everyday from when I wake up to when I go to bed. I don't really know why either, no matter where I am I am likely to either have my mobile, ipod, or laptop, never mind the numerous clocks around the buildings. It's just habit, and I feel odd without it on my wrist.

Hoida
23-Mar-10, 12:04
Never have it off my wrist other than in the shower or bath have been known to wear it in the bath.............I do go through the watches:lol:

Phill
23-Mar-10, 12:27
I stopped wearing a watch in bed after too many complaints from ladies being scratched. ;)

Aye that too, especially ones with metal bracelets...give nasty pinches to the skin.....apparently.

futurelegends
23-Mar-10, 13:23
I think I have a bit of a fetish about watches, I feel lost without one and am forever looking at my wrist if I forget to put one on.

I have about 4 on the go at the moment and actually bought two from QVC (or equivalent) within half an hour of each other.

Watches are Brilliant!!!!

horseman
23-Mar-10, 13:28
Watches are a bit like sundials-outdated.
I forked out £60 odd sovs in the 1960s for an omega-big deal, I dunno' where the sod is now!!! come to think of it! Wonder which thieving little sod of an offspring ran off with it?;)

webmannie
23-Mar-10, 14:48
I reckon he could just about afford to run one, but not to buy one and run one. ;)

Metalattakk, the tax man will be able to buy one with how much tax i'm going to pay this month!! boohoohoo :~(:~(

rich
23-Mar-10, 14:55
I have a Swiss Army Watch (cheapest victorinox available). It is no longer waterproof and when it rains the interior of the watch produces this weird misty effect rendering the hands invisble . I am really annoyed about this because I have only had it for 15 years. Things are not what they used to be.....

kjandcrew
23-Mar-10, 21:09
I broke both my wrists when i was 11 and was very upset for years that i couldn't wear a watch as it never fitted properly. Point is as a child you get told "to read the time" and then as an adult your not supposed to be "clock watching" Cannot win really!!!!

bekisman
24-Mar-10, 12:51
A number of years ago my eldest son had one of those new-fangled digital watches, problem was every ten minutes it made a loud 'beep' - no way of stopping it, no matter what he did.
So tied it on the end of a bit of bamboo, stuck the pole in the ground, and with my trusty 12 bore, stood five feet away, and waited.
'Beep' - BANG! "won't do that again" he says..
Another watch-hating moment was when I was in the Fire Service, Stan was jarred-off with his expensive watch which kept very bad time, so laid it on the floor of the appliance room and drove a fire engine over it - dealt with..

scotsboy
24-Mar-10, 14:37
Could never feel dressed without a watch, have several, most days I wear an Omega Seamaster titanium, for more formal occassions I have a Longines Dolce Vita. I also have a Polimaster PM1208M which is fitted with a compensated GM detector to measure gamma radiaiton dose-rate and dose. Next watch I plan to buy isa Bell & Ross.

Dadie
24-Mar-10, 20:47
Damn I want a polimaster PMwhatsit!
As long as it measures doserates and dose in micro/millisieverts and not rads and rems!
Would be handy at work.... had on I will just look at my watch.... dont need the bliddy time ... whats the doserate?

joxville
24-Mar-10, 21:13
Well my watch is the best, it's a Casio Casanova. It tells me the time in all the time zones, the temperature of all those areas, is accurate to 1/10000000000th of a second, has a calculator, dictionary/thesaurus for 370 languages, barometer, altimeter calibrated to 64,000ft, depth gauge to 2000ft, stopwatch and split time function, DAB radio, makes coffee and toast, squeezes fresh juice, internet enabled, radiation detector, tells me of the nearest pretty girl within 1/2 mile radius and what she's wearing, books a table at the nearest restaurant and hotel room for the evening, calls her a taxi home next morning then sends her flowers.

The downside is the battery is the size of Portugal.

[lol]

Phill
24-Mar-10, 21:21
......I also have a Polimaster PM1208M which is fitted with a compensated GM detector to measure gamma radiaiton dose-rate and dose. Next watch I plan to buy isa Bell & Ross.

Oooh, interesting. Beats the old calculator watch that you couldn't actually use cos the buttons were too bloody small.
I'm gonna start getting paranoid about gamma radiation now.

Dadie
24-Mar-10, 21:23
No need but if you are in Lybster I would get paranoid about radon gas:lol:

Bobbyian
24-Mar-10, 21:24
well I wore one for over forty years day in day out but now its the mobile or netbook or pc where we dont just look at the time its logged what you done or what you should do at home its mobile off tel off the hook and sometimes PC on feet up musik on ... what time is it? go to bed....

Phill
24-Mar-10, 21:35
No need but if you are in Lybster I would get paranoid about radon gas:lol:

Aah were ok here, were up the hill a bitty so it all rolls down to the village, but then we'll be closer to the gamma.
You can't win can you.

scotsboy
25-Mar-10, 08:56
Damn I want a polimaster PMwhatsit!
As long as it measures doserates and dose in micro/millisieverts and not rads and rems!
Would be handy at work.... had on I will just look at my watch.... dont need the bliddy time ... whats the doserate?

dose rate is on microsieverts/hr and dose in milliisieverts.