PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo aftercare, to cover or not..

Fluff
21-Mar-10, 20:29
Had my 2nd tattoo done yesterday and I am reading alot of conflicting advice on aftercare.
I am using bepanthen to keep it moist, but some people/sites say it should be covered under clothes/at night, some saying leave it open during the night.

As it is at the top my thigh I have been putting on medical gauze over the bepanthen to stop my clothes sticking to it.

What have you many inked orgers used? For or against cling film (I have read some interesting articles against using it)

Discuss and advise!

onecalledk
21-Mar-10, 20:38
I was told to use some cream that helps stop bruising, got it in a Boots store. Put that on and told to keep applying for a few days. i didnt cover tattoo as it needs the air to heal the wound. Keeping it covered will not let it heal.

the main thing of course is to resist picking when it scabs over.

Cling film i would have thought would not help with healing. Its not a burn that needs to be kept airtight , a tattoo is a wound.

Mind healed very quickly, cream worked a treat, no probs.

K

Fluff
21-Mar-10, 20:53
Sounds like the cream I am using K, designed for nappy rash. Trouble I am finding is when it is uncovered it rubs against my trousers causing abit of discomfort. Nudity at work is not an option lol!

Tubthumper
21-Mar-10, 21:18
Not another cover-up thread!!:eek:

Joking - hope your work of art is a cracker Fluff - and gives you no trouble

carasmam
21-Mar-10, 21:32
Dont cover it with cling or bandages. Just a smear of cream, dont slather it on. As someone else said it needs air to heal. Wear cotton clothes that aren't likely to stick to it and you'll be fine. Dont soak it too long in the shower either, just a quick rinse and if it gets itchy slap it instead of scratching :D
What did you get a tattoo of btw ?

Vistravi
21-Mar-10, 22:28
Had my 2nd tattoo done yesterday and I am reading alot of conflicting advice on aftercare.
I am using bepanthen to keep it moist, but some people/sites say it should be covered under clothes/at night, some saying leave it open during the night.

As it is at the top my thigh I have been putting on medical gauze over the bepanthen to stop my clothes sticking to it.

What have you many inked orgers used? For or against cling film (I have read some interesting articles against using it)

Discuss and advise!

Cling film is a bad idea for a healing tattoo as it does not allow it to heal. by all means use it during a shower as its only for a short time but not for any longer than 10 mins. My 2nd tattoo is on my right forearm and it was covered with cling film after it was done but i was warned not to cover it up with cling film after the inital drying out stage it needs to go through.

I used bepanthen and it was brilliant. I had no scaring from my first one at all but i did with my second as it was mostly bright colours and it is bigger than my first one.

With my first one i did leave it uncovered during the day as it is on my shoulder and therefore can not be seen at work. However i had to cover up my second one as it is on my forearm and I didn't want sticky fingers getting into it ;) I did notice that my first one healed alot faster than my second one did and i think this was because it was uncovered during the day so it could breathe. I covered up both of mine at night as i move around alot in my sleep and i did not want to risk damaging them as they healed especilly with my second one as it scared.

I honestly found the healing process very itchy for both. There was a time with my first one that i was sitting in the living room in my bra with the strap on the left side down my arm and my hair all pinned up as the small strands of hair was making it itch so much! With my second one i could not wear a jumper or anything with sleeves on my right arm as it made it so itchy. Just cream it as often as you can and it helps alot with the itchness. If you can wear free flowing clothes for a couple of weeks untill it is healed. As long as its not covered up all the time it will not take long to heal.

It was all worth it to have two beautiful tattoos :D The many comments I have had about my butterfly tattoo about how detailed it is has been quite something. It's amasing how different it looks once it has healed. The rose in my first tattoo has four shades of red in it and my butterfly has 3 shades of blue in it.

Fluff
21-Mar-10, 22:29
Unfortunately I do not have a choice at work what I wear, my trousers are a polyester/cotton mix. I am concerned about bits sticking to it.

I have had a thistle done, it is a slightly art nouveau style in green and purple, I will link a pic once I have one!

Vistravi
21-Mar-10, 22:34
Sounds like the cream I am using K, designed for nappy rash. Trouble I am finding is when it is uncovered it rubs against my trousers causing abit of discomfort. Nudity at work is not an option lol!

Any chance you can wear any bagger trousers at work? If not cover it up during the day to avoid your trousers damaging it especilly if it scars. It needs to air but trust me it will heal regardless it just might take a bit longer. I covered my second one up but as soon as i got home it was immediately uncovered and left to air.

Fluff
21-Mar-10, 22:46
thats what I think I will do. I am glad it is a bit warmer, chillin with no troosers on lol!

ShelleyCowie
21-Mar-10, 23:29
I always used vaseline on my 4 tattoos, i have one on my right shoulder blade, one on my left arm and the other 2 are on my wrists.

At night i still wore my pyjama shirt as normal even though ink did rub off on it a bit. The only time i covered them was when showering/bathing. Mainly the wrist ones though.

M R
21-Mar-10, 23:43
Keep it un-covered for as long as you can. Can only help it heal and minimize the chance of damaging it with clothing.

Wouldn't worry about covering it in the shower either. a blast of hot water will actually ease any pain or itchin for a short time. just don't soak it in the bath, or rub it dry. gentle patting required.

Hemeriod creme works really well to heal tats !!

Vistravi
21-Mar-10, 23:44
thats what I think I will do. I am glad it is a bit warmer, chillin with no troosers on lol!

Spring and summer are excellent for getting away with wearing no clothes lol. I got both of mine done a month apart last summer and for one of them i was just sitting there in trousers and a bra with one strap down :lol:

M R
21-Mar-10, 23:47
Just don't bake it in the sun, tats don't like the sun, especially new 1's

Vistravi
21-Mar-10, 23:49
I always used vaseline on my 4 tattoos, i have one on my right shoulder blade, one on my left arm and the other 2 are on my wrists.

At night i still wore my pyjama shirt as normal even though ink did rub off on it a bit. The only time i covered them was when showering/bathing. Mainly the wrist ones though.

I don't wear pj's of any sort. They annoy me as i hate having something twisting and sticking to me when i'm sleeping. It's also why i hate feather duvets as they stick to me and i just kick them of lol. My partner would love it if i liked them though as he loves them ;)

Vistravi
21-Mar-10, 23:52
Just don't bake it in the sun, tats don't like the sun, especially new 1's

Aye my tattooist recommended that i put sun cream on a tattoo after it has healed untill it is a year old. Was a bit annoying having to cover up my arms when it was boiling though when i forgot to bring my suncream with me to reapply it though. I would still put suncream on them this summer as well just as a precaution but this is me and i do overdo things ;)

Tubthumper
22-Mar-10, 00:13
Spring and summer are excellent for getting away with wearing no clothes lol. I got both of mine done a month apart last summer and for one of them i was just sitting there in trousers and a bra with one strap down :lol:
I got one of them strapless bras. Not the best (I'm D cup) but it gave the shoulder tat a chance to heal while still holding me in/up!. Bloody sore when it got bumped or rubbed though!
I just sleep in the scud! ;)

Vistravi
22-Mar-10, 00:31
I got one of them strapless bras. Not the best (I'm D cup) but it gave the shoulder tat a chance to heal while still holding me in/up!. Bloody sore when it got bumped or rubbed though!
I just sleep in the scud! ;)

Aye I told the kids at work it was a sore bit and they left it be lol. It was the same with my second tat.

Same here. Night clothes are just so restrictive! I have no need of them to keep me warmer either as my partner is like a hot water bottle :lol:

sweetpea
22-Mar-10, 01:40
Personally I wouldn't cover a tat. It will get dry and itchy so put some moisturiser on it.

Hibeechick
22-Mar-10, 11:49
Only ever covered any of my tattoos for an hour after coming out of the tattoo parlour. As mentioned it needs the air to heal.

I have always savlon spray on mine and never had a problem :)

Julia
22-Mar-10, 12:59
Preparation H and Acriflex (has a yellow tint tho) are also recommended for new a tattoo, I always leave the cling film on for 2 hours tops then wash my new tat, then cream on leaving the tat uncovered.

As everybody else has said, do not soak it in the bath or shower, keep these to a minimum, pat dry with a clean towel and apply cream. Once you get by the first couple of days it will scab up and that will protect it while the skin heals from beneath. If mine were unbearably itchy I just put on more cream to sooth it.

Also just reiterating previous advice but absolutely no sun for 1 year and use a total sunblock, this will prolong the life and colour of your tattoo, I always put sunblock on mine during the summer just to keep them bright.

Vistravi
22-Mar-10, 13:26
Personally I wouldn't cover a tat. It will get dry and itchy so put some moisturiser on it.

Unfortuantly this is not always an option. Sometimes you have to cover it up. My work certainly will not let any staff member with any open cut or wound leave it uncovered.

sarah.swanson
22-Mar-10, 15:18

Discuss and advise!

I had a tattoo done on the top of my thigh in Feb and the cling film fell off it within 2 min of walkin and I just put savlon on it after for a week and now its fine :)

Fluff
22-Mar-10, 18:49
we it has got slightly firmer, not scabbed so far using the cream. Just that weird numb pain now.
Link to pic of it :)

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-10, 19:08
we it has got slightly firmer, not scabbed so far using the cream. Just that weird numb pain now.

Link Removed at Posters Request

Lovely tattoo! I love the green, very nice! :D

Flicked through all the tatts and im mighty jealous! :(

Fluff
22-Mar-10, 23:27
Shelly you would love the studio! The guy running it was very funny and friendly. I had a female artist, she was SO fast! That would tatt only took about 40 mins, her work is amaing

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-10, 23:32
Shelly you would love the studio! The guy running it was very funny and friendly. I had a female artist, she was SO fast! That would tatt only took about 40 mins, her work is amaing

Total jealous! :( I plan on getting another tattoo but obviously cant get one right now. Will get the next bairns name on me somewhere as i have Athruns on my wrist. But that wont be til next year, give time for feeding. :)

I have to admit, it has never bothered me how long tattoos take because i love the feeling of them! I dont feel pain....cant explain it but yes i must be weird lol

Vistravi
22-Mar-10, 23:45

Link Removed at Posters Request

Beautiful tattoo Fluff! I love the green, that is my favourite shade of green. I hope it heals fast for you.

Fantoosh
23-Mar-10, 20:15
I usually put Savlon on it for the first while, then once its scabbed over I just use Vaseline. :D Nice tattoo :D I had one done yesterday as well, I love it :D