PDA

View Full Version : Who would appreciate an ignore thread option?

Boozeburglar
21-Mar-10, 13:25
It would brighten up my day.

:)

Dog-eared
21-Mar-10, 13:27
Thread ignored.;):lol:

bekisman
21-Mar-10, 13:31
Too true, some are so predictable ;)

Phill
21-Mar-10, 13:38
Ignorance is bliss!

:Razz

northener
21-Mar-10, 15:08
I can't read this as I'm ignoring it.

I may even start ignoring myself.....

golach
21-Mar-10, 15:13
Its a wondeful tool

crayola
21-Mar-10, 15:37
I can't read this as I'm ignoring it.

I may even start ignoring myself.....
Try putting yourself on your own ignore list. The forum has a sense of humour. :)

northener
21-Mar-10, 15:51
Try putting yourself on your own ignore list. The forum has a sense of humour. :)

I'm just off to try it now.

northener
21-Mar-10, 15:53
"We can't help you ignore yourself."

[lol][lol][lol]Class!

crayola
21-Mar-10, 15:57
Glad you liked it.

Will you hold back on that red rep you promised me? :)

northener
21-Mar-10, 16:40
Glad you liked it.

Will you hold back on that red rep you promised me? :)

Nah...I want to feel your fear....lying awake knowing that soon your nemesis will appear....[para]

scorrie
21-Mar-10, 17:57
I think that an "Ignore Fred" option would be a fantastic addition.

Tubthumper
21-Mar-10, 18:48
Why must you always bring Fred into it? He hasn't contributed anything. It's bullying that's what it is. An injustice.

Mind you, that would mean no-one would end up arguing with him, which would make him happy.:D

unicorn
21-Mar-10, 19:27
I answered don't care earlier today but now I think I may actually be using the function for the first time as there seem to be a lot of distasteful posts flying around.

northener
21-Mar-10, 23:00
I answered don't care earlier today but now I think I may actually be using the function for the first time as there seem to be a lot of distasteful posts flying around.

I find your post distasteful.....

redeyedtreefrog
21-Mar-10, 23:10

how DARE you! Fred hasn't even said anything on this thread, thats BULLYING!

Moira
21-Mar-10, 23:13

If you've collected up all your toys I think we need another option too. :)

northener
21-Mar-10, 23:16

Long time no see.:Razz

Moira
21-Mar-10, 23:24
Long time no see.:Razz

I already said that....
Oh no I didn't...
I meant to....
Honestly.
I guess it's been a looong time since I've been bullied.....
Or scooted upon.... :lol:

ducati
21-Mar-10, 23:24
If you've collected up all your toys I think we need another option too. :)

An eject toys button :cool:

Tubthumper
22-Mar-10, 00:22
How about a list of stock phrases and words we can simply tick to indicate our preference?
How about:

Juvenile
Gullible
Conspiracy
Tinfoil
Straightjacket
Liar
Walloper

Or

Wrong
Wildly inaccurate
Ill-advised
Speculation
Wild-assed theory
Paranoid delusion

Maybe even:

Moon landings
JFK assassination
Loch Ness Monster
Pope an alien
Princess Di
WTC
Stolen kidneys

Dog-eared
22-Mar-10, 00:41
Gullible wildly inaccurate Pope an alien.

Tubthumper
22-Mar-10, 00:43
See, it could work well!

Phill
22-Mar-10, 00:53
Tinfoiled Loch Ness Monster Stole Princess Di's Kidneys n' Ill advised on Straight jacket Moon landings.

Yep, works fer me.

Moira
22-Mar-10, 01:04
See, it could work well!

I disagree. You are taking this thead off-topic and even, with all the best will in the world and the help of Crayola, you could not put a Poll together which I'd have any interest in voting on......

Moira throws Gauntlet down....

;)

rich
22-Mar-10, 03:28
To those Fred fans who note that he has yet to be bullied on this thread I am about to bully him.

Are you ready?

Here it comes.

FRED!

There now I've said it. I have mentioned his name and that makes me a bully!!!

Mea culpa!!!!

(Do I hear snuffling in the wings...)

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 10:19
To those Fred fans who note that he has yet to be bullied on this thread I am about to bully him.

Are you ready?

Here it comes.

FRED!

There now I've said it. I have mentioned his name and that makes me a bully!!!

Mea culpa!!!!

(Do I hear snuffling in the wings...)

Actually ridiculing like that is bullying...

northener
22-Mar-10, 10:38
Actually ridiculing like that is bullying...

Now, this is where it gets complicated, one persons attempt at a humorous use of the subject is interpreted by another as bullying.

I'll hold my hand up and say that I mentioned Fred on another one quite some time ago. I cannot remember the exact details, but there was someone posting in the same style - and having the same line of argument/discussion that Fred would use.

My comment was "You're not related to Fred, are you?"

Now, I saw that as an attempt at humour with no malicious intent whatsover. Yet no doubt someone else would see it as 'bullying'.
I've noticed that there's been more references to Fred popping up since this FredThread* started and I've got to say that most references appear to be nothing more than very tongue in cheek mischief making and teasing at Freds' expense...but does that constitute bullying?

If someone said on another thread "You're as bad as Northener with that attitude", then, me personally, I wouldn't call that bullying.
If someone did a bit of mickey taking regarding my views, then that's fair game as well as far as I'm concerned. In fact it's a good way to diffuse some more heated moments in an online squabble or overcooked debate.

However, although I disagree with about 90% of what Fred says, I believe some of the 'criticism' is getting a little bit naughty. But Fred is as guilty as the next man or woman when it comes to unwarranted put downs and insults.
It's very much a two-way street. I would politely suggest that all parties take a step back and take a breath.

It's not real y'know.

*I've copyrighted that expression.....

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 11:09
Now, this is where it gets complicated, one persons attempt at a humorous use of the subject is interpreted by another as bullying.

Bullying and discrimination actually now has a legal definition. Something is classed as bullying or discrimination if it has the potential to cause offence regardless of the manner in which it was given. You may call someone the N word in good humour but it doesn't make it perceived as any less racist...

northener
22-Mar-10, 11:41
Bullying and discrimination actually now has a legal definition. Something is classed as bullying or discrimination if it has the potential to cause offence regardless of the manner in which it was given. You may call someone the N word in good humour but it doesn't make it perceived as any less racist...

So, if I said: "Leanne, don't be a silly mare" - is tht bullying or just robust wording?;)

My mate calls me an FEB all the time - should I inform the Authorities?

golach
22-Mar-10, 11:45
You may call someone the N word in good humour but it doesn't make it perceived as any less racist...

Leanne by referring to the "N" word do you mean "northener" I cannot see how that would make me a racist :lol:

ducati
22-Mar-10, 11:49
Leanne by referring to the "N" word do you mean "northener" I cannot see how that would make me a racist :lol:

WHAT??? He's from YORKSHIRE!!!:eek:

golach
22-Mar-10, 11:51
WHAT??? He's from YORKSHIRE!!!:eek:

Sorry ducati........if I said a bad word on here about Yorkshire, I would be disowned :lol:

changilass
22-Mar-10, 11:57
Nowt wrong wi Yorkshire.

ducati
22-Mar-10, 12:01
Nowt wrong wi Yorkshire.

I recently did a very scientific (not) survey of all the English people I've met living in Caithness and approximatley 88.4% are from Yorkshire (Home of the second best County Cricket team in all of the UK). [lol]

golach
22-Mar-10, 12:03
Nowt wrong wi Yorkshire.
See ducati......I told you so [lol]

northener
22-Mar-10, 12:18
Oooh, you lot are skating on thin ice......

If you removed all the Yorkshire people from Caithness - there'd be no * left up here:Razz

Ah'll see thi'.

(edit) ooh, i put a mild swear word beginning with 'B' in there and it was automatically removed..is that a new feature or have I just got away with it in the past? Nivver happened before, like.

Phill
22-Mar-10, 12:29
Nowt wrong wi Yorkshire.

Wrong side of the Pennines fer a bloody start!

Phill
22-Mar-10, 12:33
(edit) ooh, i put a mild swear word beginning with 'B' in there and it was automatically removed..is that a new feature or have I just got away with it in the past? Nivver happened before, like.

I dunno who started that but it is a bügger!

changilass
22-Mar-10, 12:33
There is only one right side of the pennines and Yorkshire folks only cross over to the dark side as missionaries to stop the lankies eating their own offspring :lol:

northener
22-Mar-10, 12:37
Wrong side of the Pennines fer a bloody start!

This is harassment.

Well, it would be if it was coming from anybody other than a black pudding muncher. As it stands, it's just the usual white noise that you can hear any day drifting over the Pennines from Lancastercestershire;)

How about an "Ignore Lancastrians" option?

Bobinovich
22-Mar-10, 12:39
Anyway, back to the topic lol - An Ignore Thread option is pointless! If I see a thread title I'm not interested in I ignore it MANUALLY! Likewise if I read the first post, or couple of posts, and think the same, I ignore it MANUALLY. Is anyone here so brain dead (don't answer that!) that they really need a option just for that!

changilass
22-Mar-10, 12:39
Unfortunately, as my mother is currently on missionary duties, I couldn't use that ignore function Northener.

Ouch Bob, that slap on the wrist hurteded

northener
22-Mar-10, 12:45
Anyway, back to the topic lol - An Ignore Thread option is pointless! If I see a thread title I'm not interested in I ignore it MANUALLY! Likewise if I read the first post, or couple of posts, and think the same, I ignore it MANUALLY. Is anyone here so brain dead (don't answer that!) that they really need a option just for that!

But don't you think that some of it is 'car crash' mentality?

You know it's going to be horrible, you know you can't do anything about it and you know the outcome is going to be tragic.....but you can't not watch events unfold.

I promise myself I'm not going to get involved in some of the squabbling on here...but I keep getting sucked back in.:(

Oh, weak minded and foolish child. Will you never learn?