PDA

View Full Version : dairy free cheese

JWM
19-Mar-10, 16:20
hi does anyone know if you can buy dairy free cheese locally. I know you can order from goodness direct but just wondered if anyone stored it to save having to send for it. Have had a look in tescos and coop but not seen any unless i missed it!! thanks in advance for any help ;)

grandma
19-Mar-10, 17:52
I know they had in Wick Tesco a couple of months ago but really hard to spot and we ended up asking for help to find it. Found it tucked away at the back.

_awayoflife_
19-Mar-10, 17:56
tesco had it for a while then got rid of it and then got it back again lol but the last i knew the did have it, its called lactofree i think, its got a cows face on it.they do a soft cheese aswell.

ŠAmethyst
19-Mar-10, 18:33
Lacto Free cheese can be difficult to get hold of even down in Inverness... I've had to add some to my housemate's Asda order before now. I've never seen it at the supermarkets in Caithness yet, but you may be lucky.

If you come across any others... good luck... I won't go to the health food shops any more after tasting some other lactose free cheeses.

emszxr
19-Mar-10, 19:08
is dairy free and lacto free not different??
i think, correct me if im wrong that lactofree still has dairy in it.
there was a dairy free cheese available in tescos. cant remember name of it. was it cheezy?? it wasnt very nice.
i use goats cheese for my son and its quite nice.

JWM
19-Mar-10, 19:31
Hi I think lacofree still has dairy in it from what I recall when I looked will look again. Will have to ask my dieticin about goats cheese have been told to stay away from goat milk as has simillar proteins to cows and would induce reactions! Will keep lookin thanks

Stefan
19-Mar-10, 19:34
For dairy free cheese look for goats cheese and sheep cheese in Tesco. They have several. Those still contain lactose.

For lactose free cheese there is nothing much about. Tesco Wick does "lactofree" soft cheese.

However, be advised that ALL cheese that is matured longer than 12 months is lactose free. The lactose is digested during the maturing process.
Every cheese that is called "extra mature" is older than 12 months and should therefor be lactose free.

I am lactose intolerant and eat extra mature cheese without any problems.

noodle
19-Mar-10, 20:53
Ok had to go through all this for myself a while back...

It depends what you mean when you say you want "dairy free cheese" - do you mean without any animal based product in them at all, a cheese without cow-juice in it or are you trying to cut down/out lactose?

The Health Store in Inverness will take orders over the phone and then post them up to you - they have Cheezly (one type of which they stocked in Tesco Wick for a while) and also different types of Scheese and possibly Tofutti too. They are all completely vegan - no risk of anything dairy in at all, but I think are all soya based so just be aware of that for allergies and that. TBH I wasn't overfond of them though...

If you're just after avoiding the lactose, go for lactofree (I found it quite tasty) T seem to be increasing the range they are selling there which is good because they do yoghurt as well!

Hope that helps a bit...

JWM
19-Mar-10, 22:39
Hi it's a cow milk allergy my son has we have just started soya products and I've been looking for a soya based cheese sorry I should of explained better! Am bad for that! I don't think he would tollerate the goat one as the proteins in the milk are similar but not sure about anything else but so far we are doing fine on soya! It would be mainly used for cooking with I have a dairy free cheese sauce from tescos but that'd not always suitable for certain recipies! Think I'll need to fone my dietician for further advice she thought tescos had it but had a look with no joy I'm still a bit of a novice at this but gettin there! Thanks again for all advice

cazmanian_minx
20-Mar-10, 08:49
Try him on feta cheese. Anything with cow milk in it makes me gunge up, but I'm fine on feta.

Gleber2
20-Mar-10, 21:52
I get all my vegan cheese from Holland and Barret in Inverness. Cheddar and mozarella slices are OK and you can also get Gouda, Edam, cheddar, mozarella and others in block form. Some melt some don't. All of those I have tried are pretty convincing.

Stavro
21-Mar-10, 00:33
Hi it's a cow milk allergy my son has we have just started soya products and I've been looking for a soya based cheese sorry I should of explained better! Am bad for that! I don't think he would tollerate the goat one as the proteins in the milk are similar but not sure about anything else but so far we are doing fine on soya! It would be mainly used for cooking with I have a dairy free cheese sauce from tescos but that'd not always suitable for certain recipies! Think I'll need to fone my dietician for further advice she thought tescos had it but had a look with no joy I'm still a bit of a novice at this but gettin there! Thanks again for all advice

Did you get the Westie rehomed?

JWM
21-Mar-10, 23:37
Didn't rehome him he has had some health issues some ongoing that was route of problems! Once delt with is his normal happy self has been since a while now!

ŠAmethyst
22-Mar-10, 10:34
For dairy free cheese look for goats cheese and sheep cheese in Tesco. They have several. Those still contain lactose.

For lactose free cheese there is nothing much about. Tesco Wick does "lactofree" soft cheese.

However, be advised that ALL cheese that is matured longer than 12 months is lactose free. The lactose is digested during the maturing process.
Every cheese that is called "extra mature" is older than 12 months and should therefor be lactose free.

I am lactose intolerant and eat extra mature cheese without any problems.

I didn't know that!!! :) Learn something new every day! Thanks, Stefan... I'm gonna go try that... I didn't enjoy the effect lacto free cheese had on me, first time I tried it I got ill which is strange since the lacto free milk agrees quite well with me.