PDA

View Full Version : Bird of paradise plant!

Dadie
18-Mar-10, 21:23
My so called bird of paradise plant is supposed to be nice and leafy with a funny looking flower, but it has never managed more than 5 leaves at any one time!
The girls were caught removing the compost from its pot and its 1 remaining leaf was snapped (happened as I shouted at them) will the poor thing survive?
or should it be rehomed to someone who will look after it??
or will it need to go to the compost heap??

Scunner
18-Mar-10, 21:46
I waited years and last year it produced 3 flowers, looks like it is about to produce 2 this year. Dont bin it, someday it may flower. I think they like to be a bit pot bound.

Dadie
18-Mar-10, 21:51
the damn thing is at least 10 years old!
It is amazing as I havent managed to kill it yet:lol:
I killed cacti and one of those air plant things amongst others.... instead of greenfingers i have a thumb of death!

Kevin Milkins
19-Mar-10, 01:16
It seems odd that the more you nurture plants, the bigger the risk of killing them,:eek: and just when you give up on them and show them a large amount of neglect, they spring into life.:confused

Hibeechick
21-Mar-10, 00:09
Strelitzia on average take 7 years to bloom. Is you plant in a sunny spot? They like the heat and lots of light. Being native to south america and south africa it much prefers the warmth. It also doesnt like to be saturated with water, make sure your plant has sufficient drainage :)