PDA

View Full Version : Them wagons on the A9...

Phill
18-Mar-10, 20:50
....be careful what you say about 'em. Revenge is sweet!
:eek::eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8574609.stm

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-10, 20:54
There is no way that lorry driver deserves to keep his ticket.

Phill
18-Mar-10, 20:59
And I bet the poor woman in the Clio has been getting it in the neck from her mates until now!

northener
18-Mar-10, 21:05
Shoulda put his wipers on.......problem cured.:Razz

lister
18-Mar-10, 21:22
May be the driver disnae like Renault.

Phill
18-Mar-10, 21:29
At least she did the decent thing and took her foot off the break after a while, obviously thinking of the MPG of the truck :cool:

joxville
18-Mar-10, 21:35
How did Nicole explain that to Papa? :D

Leanne
18-Mar-10, 21:55
That was my friend in the passenger seat of the car. She hasn't been able to be a passenger in a car since and hasn't been on the motorway either. She jumps horses professionally and was unable to work for 6 weeks due to strains and bruises - bit of a dint in the income when you are self employed, lose your own salary and then have to pay someone else to do your job too!!

Edit - the lorry never stopped until my friend put the handbrake on and spun the car out of it's way. The driver of the waggon is not from this country and returned home and has not been traced since. My friend received no compensation and even had to pay for the central reservation that she damaged trying to save her own life! The insurance company wouldn't pay for that...

Phill
18-Mar-10, 22:05
That was my friend in the passenger seat of the car. She hasn't been able to be a passenger in a car since and hasn't been on the motorway either. She jumps horses professionally and was unable to work for 6 weeks due to strains and bruises - bit of a dint in the income when you are self employed, lose your own salary and then have to pay someone else to do your job too!!

An' I bet you've bin thinkin' she's a Walter Mitty type with tall stories until you saw the video.

Edit - the lorry never stopped until my friend put the handbrake on and spun the car out of it's way. The driver of the waggon is not from this country and returned home and has not been traced since. My friend received no compensation and even had to pay for the central reservation that she damaged trying to save her own life! The insurance company wouldn't pay for that...

If yer friend was drivin from the passenger seat mebbe it was her fault :lol::lol:
Wasn't she insured either? 3rd party damage an' all that.

northener
18-Mar-10, 22:07

Leanne, that doesn't match up with the information given on the link.:confused

ducati
18-Mar-10, 22:08

But the news story said it was a local firm; Arclid Transport and the driver has been suspended from his job :confused

Edit: again sorry

Leanne
18-Mar-10, 22:08
If yer friend was drivin from the passenger seat mebbe it was her fault :lol::lol:
Wasn't she insured either? 3rd party damage an' all that.

Driver wasn't injured, friend was. It was friends car that her employee was driving under her business insurance.

Leanne
18-Mar-10, 22:10
But the news story said it was a local firm; Arclid Transport and the driver has been suspended from his job :confused

Edit: again sorry

Driver was suspended from his job - and returned home

Edit - insurance company hasn't been able to trace him to get his version of events (don't know the full story about why)

ducati
18-Mar-10, 22:15

Edit - insurance company hasn't been able to trace him to get his version of events (don't know the full story about why)

Oh right, sorry, I thought you meant it was a foreign lorry :D

northener
18-Mar-10, 22:18
Yup, I get it now, too. Cheers.

Phill
18-Mar-10, 22:20
Driver wasn't injured, friend was. It was friends car that her employee was driving under her business insurance.

She could earn a few bob stunt drivin' if she can pull a handbrake turn out of that, now that should have been on the video!!
;)

joxville
18-Mar-10, 22:31

How do you get a job jumping horses? Does my experience in jumping hedges help qualify me for the job? Is it learned on the hoof? Sorry if I misunderstand you, just don't nag me for it. ;)

Phill
18-Mar-10, 22:40

He was only sent home on Wednesday, gi'em chance.

Took me 3 years to nail the truck driver that kippered me!

northener
19-Mar-10, 08:05
Actually, I'd say it's a very good way of dealing with those who wander around single track roads at 25mph and won't let anyone pass......

ducati
19-Mar-10, 09:43
Actually, I'd say it's a very good way of dealing with those who wander around single track roads at 25mph and won't let anyone pass......

25 mph is a perfectly safe speed to go on a single track road :mad:

cuddlepop
19-Mar-10, 10:00

As long as you pull over in the passing places to let other people pass,I agree with you.

Oh drives a lorry for a living and cant understand how the driver didnt "feel" his lorry was handling differently.
All very confusing.:confused

brandy
19-Mar-10, 10:00
i know everyone is having a good laugh about this .. but honestly after watching the video i am horrified for who ever was in that car. put yourself in thier place... how fast do you think they were going.. the only thing going thru their minds would be omg im gonna die, my family my kids.. thats what would be going thru my head at the time. did any one see the sparks flying? what if the petrol tank had ruptured? it was pure luck that no one was seriously injured or killed during this. and while its a whopper of a tale to tell around the fire.. we should also take a moment to think about how close a call it was... and hope that the idiot in the lorry is done for whatever traffic crime you would put that under!

northener
19-Mar-10, 10:04

I've got a sharp stick with me at the moment, Ducati.

And I'm going to poke you in both eyes with it.;)

ducati
19-Mar-10, 10:13
I've got a sharp stick with me at the moment, Ducati.

And I'm going to poke you in both eyes with it.;)

Well you will have to catch me first [evil] I've got five gears and I am going to wear them out one at a time, starting with first

Thumper
19-Mar-10, 11:31
Why would the car be sideways like that?Had it pulled out infront of the lorry?It seems weird to me,I was involved in an accident with a lorry years ago,it damn near reversed right over the top of my Mums car,and the driver stated he didnt know and thought he had hit a rabbit :eek: I am still very wary of being behind a lorry after all this time,oh and before someone says that we must have been too close for the lorry to see us,it was proved in court by the tyre marks on the road that we were way back and he should have seen us no problem if he had looked as he reversed! x

upolian
19-Mar-10, 11:47
Why would the car be sideways like that?Had it pulled out infront of the lorry?It seems weird to me,I was involved in an accident with a lorry years ago,it damn near reversed right over the top of my Mums car,and the driver stated he didnt know and thought he had hit a rabbit :eek: I am still very wary of being behind a lorry after all this time,oh and before someone says that we must have been too close for the lorry to see us,it was proved in court by the tyre marks on the road that we were way back and he should have seen us no problem if he had looked as he reversed! x

Exactly the question i was going to ask:roll: it is a strange situation! i feel sorry for the occupant's of the car:~( thats some scary stuff!!

Leanne
19-Mar-10, 13:15
Why would the car be sideways like that?Had it pulled out infront of the lorry?

The lorry pulled out to overtake a slower moving lorry and clipped the back end of the car spinning it sideways.

Geo
19-Mar-10, 13:53
Why did the lorry company's insurance not cover injury to your friend? Has she consulted a solicitor?

Kevin Milkins
19-Mar-10, 14:23
I bet the clio drivers husband was a bit cross with her when she phoned and told him she was seeing a lorry driver on the side.:roll:

Boozeburglar
19-Mar-10, 15:17
Why on earth did the driver in the car that was filming not put his foot down and get in front of it all with hazzards blazing?

There is NO way the wagon driver could have been in a fit state to be driving or driving with due care and attention.

The car would have been perfectly visible from within the cab, and although once the impact was over there might not be much to feel, especially as he appears to be accelerating, he certainly would have noticed the initial impact.

My goodness, does anyone actually think the guy should ever get his ticket back?

Not me.

He was probably working way over reg., and the company should pay out big time over this.

Thumper
19-Mar-10, 15:22
The lorry pulled out to overtake a slower moving lorry and clipped the back end of the car spinning it sideways.

Ah! ok thanks for that

Stavro
19-Mar-10, 15:45
This whole business doesn't make much sense. For example, why is there no smoke billowing from the car's tyres?

If the lorry had clipped the car, then the car would have been facing the other way.

Why was someone just happening to be filming it?

Why is the lorry in the outside lane?

And so on. :eek:

Leanne
19-Mar-10, 15:55
This whole business doesn't make much sense. For example, why is there no smoke billowing from the car's tyres?

It was wet

If the lorry had clipped the car, then the car would have been facing the other way.

Who knows? But that was the way it ended up

No idea

It isn't- it's in the middle lane and the car filming is joining the motorway from a slip road.

What is it with you and conspiracy theories? [lol]

Stavro
19-Mar-10, 16:04
It is claimed that the lorry "clipped" the car when pulling out to overtake it, but the car's rear lights on that side are clearly okay. And anyway, that would have sent the tail of the car to the right, not to the left.

Would a lorry driver not see the car? I don't think so. :confused

Leanne
19-Mar-10, 16:07
It is claimed that the lorry "clipped" the car when pulling out to overtake it, but the car's rear lights on that side are clearly okay. And anyway, that would have sent the tail of the car to the right, not to the left.

Would a lorry driver not see the car? I don't think so. :confused

You disgust me at times - that is my friend in that car!

Stavro
19-Mar-10, 16:10

Your friend was in the car?!

changilass
19-Mar-10, 16:12
Leanne, its all over the internet, you can hardly have a go at someone for asking questions.

If anyone disgusts you it should be the plonker taking the video, not folks trying to make sense of it afterwards.

brandy
19-Mar-10, 16:34
without the guy taking the video there wouldnt even be an inquiry and the driver would still be on the roads. with the video footage maybe the girl will be able to get more help and at least get some compesation. fingers crossed anyway. as for doing anything to help.. what were they suppose to do? anything anyone else could do in a vehicle going 60mph at least would be extremly dangerous. the only safe thing that could be done is to get out of the way and call for help.

Thumper
19-Mar-10, 16:42
Thats where it gets confusing....if it had happened rather than it be a set up for youtube or whatever why on earth wouldnt the police had pressed charges there and then?Surely the people in the clio would have wanted to press charges and put in a formal complaint? I doubt that the police would have just said oh well eveyones ok so lets just leave it at that would they? Something strange about the whole thing IMO x

brandy
19-Mar-10, 17:05
on the sky news one it says that there was an enquiry but had been closed , but due to the new video that a new enquiry has been opened. has also been quoted that the video was not a hoax and that as far as theyknew the lady driver walked away. im surprised that there isnt more details. that the driver hasnt been interviewed and more said about what happened.

Vistravi
19-Mar-10, 18:02
That is absoulte madness! How on earth did the driver of the lorry not see the car?!:eek:

Leanne
19-Mar-10, 18:14
That is absoulte madness! How on earth did the driver of the lorry not see the car?!:eek:

"road spray" apparantly

Phill
19-Mar-10, 19:54
how fast do you think they were going..

55Mph

the only thing going thru their minds would be omg im gonna die, my family my kids.. thats what would be going thru my head at the time.

I'd be thinking 'bügger, that's four new tyres I've gotta buy'

what if the petrol tank had ruptured?

Well, it would have taken a fair few miles before it wore down that far, but then at least the resulting ball of flames might of woken the truck driver up.

Stavro
19-Mar-10, 20:57
I can understand how this car might have ended up in the position it did if, whilst going at a speed slightly slower than the lorry, the driver of the car had pulled out straight in front of the lorry.

Still don't understand how the lorry driver would not have seen the car in front of him, though. :confused

Phill
19-Mar-10, 21:09
Still don't understand how the lorry driver would not have seen the car in front of him, though. :confused

He may have bin a wee short fella payin attention to the road in the distance!

golach
22-Mar-10, 10:55

Sorry Leanne your story above does not compare to this article in todays Daily Mirror, maybe these are two differing incidents.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/03/22/driver-tells-how-she-dialled-999-as-truck-shunted-her-car-along-motorway-115875-22129226/

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 11:06
Sorry Leanne your story above does not compare to this article in todays Daily Mirror, maybe these are two differing incidents.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/03/22/driver-tells-how-she-dialled-999-as-truck-shunted-her-car-along-motorway-115875-22129226/

That's seriously weird! 2 blue clios on the same stretch of motorway...

Phill
22-Mar-10, 11:07
Beat me to it Golach, beeb has it too....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8579523.stm

Sounds like it's one of those insurance scams where a wee little car turns into a large SUV with the amount of "passengers" claiming for whiplash :lol:

golach
22-Mar-10, 11:10
Beat me to it Golach, beeb has it too....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8579523.stm

Sounds like it's one of those insurance scams where a wee little car turns into a large SUV with the amount of "passengers" claiming for whiplash :lol:

No passengers mentioned in the Daily Mirror, Phill, even stranger [disgust]

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 11:19
Well at least we have the real version now,the truth always gets out in the end ;) x

golach
22-Mar-10, 15:39

Leanne, again, I am confused, your version above is definately a lot different from the BBC and the Newspaper version, they say there were no passengers, you say there was? You say your friend in the passenger seat was professional horse jumper, the BBC & Newspapers say the lone driver was a Vet.
I am really confused now, are we seeing two different accidents on the same day and the same road? Or are we saying that the BBC & the Newspapers have got it drastically wrong?

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 15:42
Leanne, again, I am confused, your version above is definately a lot different from the BBC and the Newspaper version, they say there were no passengers, you say there was? You say your friend in the passenger seat was professional horse jumper, the BBC & Newspapers say the lone driver was a Vet.
I am really confused now, are we seeing two different accidents on the same day and the same road? Or are we saying that the BBC & the Newspapers have got it drastically wrong?

Seems 2 accidents within a short space of time on the same motorway involving blue clios. I was horrified when I saw the vid and thought it was my friend. I'm even more horrified to know that two people have been through the same thing :( My heart goes out to that poor girl and what she must be going through now (she might be physically uninjured but I doubt she'll be the same mentally)

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 15:54
I would have though that If there was TWO accidents on the same road involving the same type of car,a lorry and a sideways journey that the papers would have got wind of it and reported on both accidents? Seeing as your friend didnt get a pay out perhaps she should sell her story to the papers and then make some money out of this amazing coincedence.

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 15:56
I would have though that If there was TWO accidents on the same road involving the same type of car,a lorry and a sideways journey that the papers would have got wind of it and reported on both accidents? Seeing as your friend didnt get a pay out perhaps she should sell her story to the papers and then make some money out of this amazing coincedence.

Accidents happen all the time on motorways - unfortunately the press hardly ever see it as big news.

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 15:58
Accidents happen all the time on motorways - hardly big news.
I beg to differ Leanne,accidents like a lorry dragging a clio down the motorway at high speeds do not happen all the time,and I seem to remember you berating people for being so unfeeling when you claimed it was your friend that was in the car....

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 16:03
I beg to differ Leanne,accidents like a lorry dragging a clio down the motorway at high speeds do not happen all the time,and I seem to remember you berating people for being so unfeeling when you claimed it was your friend that was in the car....

I've edited my post to avoid any further confusion.

It is horrific and terrifying for those in the cars but the press don't see it as big news unfortunately. I can't answer for the press as to why it hasn't been reported further. Maybe noone saw the link?

The press can be a funny beast. Take these two stories...

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/south-warwickshire-news/2010/03/17/horse-killed-on-m40-after-transporter-overturns-92746-26049420/

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/296103.html

Boozeburglar
22-Mar-10, 16:10

It is clear the road was wet.

Also clear only two wheels are in real contact, and skinny rubber on them at that.

Odd that news reports saw it is trapped 'under' the bumper, looks like it is hiked up to me.

If it was a concrete block your assumptions about the direction it would move make sense, but not for a front steering wheeled vehicle being clipped or lifted up at the rear.

People have mobile phones in their hands at all times these days. It is no surprise a passenger in the observing vehicle managed to film it.

Is the position of the lorry in dispute at all?

And so on?

Seems clear it is an accident to me.

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 16:10
Well all I can say is that if I was your friend and it really happened to me and I wasnt just filling your head to make you think it was me, then i would be on the phone to the press telling them all about it and making sure everyone knows that if you own a clio never use that motorway near lorries,sorry but something about this whole story just isnt ringing true

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 16:14
Well all I can say is that if I was your friend and it really happened to me and I wasnt just filling your head to make you think it was me, then i would be on the phone to the press telling them all about it and making sure everyone knows that if you own a clio never use that motorway near lorries,sorry but something about this whole story just isnt ringing true

So suspicious... Why are you asking me to defend my position? I see no reason to explain any further. It turns out it wasn't my friend's car, I was mistaken. Easy mistake to make when the area and car were the same.

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 16:19
No I am not suspicious leanne, I just said that if it were your mate then she should contact the papers and tell her story,perhaps you are being over protective of your posts and you friend. I have not asked you to defend anything,if I had it would have been to ask you to prove your claim,I didnt do that I just suggested that your friend use the media to make some money from their life threatening brush with death,its you that has gotten all defensive,not me....

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 16:22
something about this whole story just isnt ringing true

Maybe I read this as you questioning my honesty.

My friend has not contacted the press as she was completely traumatised by the event.

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 16:28
It wouldnt be the first time you have mis-read/quoted me anyway, I could jump to my own defence here and say oh I meant the whole story in the media,but i wont as I am not a hypocrite,I stated something didnt ring true about the whole story and stand by that

Stavro
22-Mar-10, 20:29
It wouldnt be the first time you have mis-read/quoted me anyway, I could jump to my own defence here and say oh I meant the whole story in the media,but i wont as I am not a hypocrite,I stated something didnt ring true about the whole story and stand by that

I completely and absolutely agree with you, Thumper.

joxville
22-Mar-10, 22:31
So suspicious... Why are you asking me to defend my position? I see no reason to explain any further. It turns out it wasn't my friend's car, I was mistaken. Easy mistake to make when the area and car were the same.

What an absolute fool you've made yourself look on this thread, and compounded it by posting the above. Don't you think there is more than one blue Clio in that area? Wouldn't it have been a better if you'd phoned your friend to make sure she is okay before posting on this thread? Your friend may be a professional horse jumper but I'll bet she can't jump as fast as you do to conclusions! [lol]

Were you having a toffee crisp moment as you watched the video? :D

Stavro
22-Mar-10, 22:33
It turns out it wasn't my friend's car, I was mistaken.

So are you going to apologise, Leanne?

Vistravi
22-Mar-10, 22:35
What an absolute fool you've made yourself look on this thread, and compounded it by posting the above. Don't you think there is more than one blue Clio in that area? Wouldn't it have been a better if you'd phoned your friend to make sure she is okay before posting on this thread? Your friend may be a professional horse jumper but I'll bet she can't jump as fast as you do to conclusions! [lol]

Were you having a toffee crisp moment as you watched the video? :D

Given that clios are not exactly rare cars to see either ;)

Phill
22-Mar-10, 22:39
So, do we need to issue a recall notice on blue Clio's or not?

Leanne
22-Mar-10, 22:50
Wouldn't it have been a better if you'd phoned your friend to make sure she is okay before posting on this thread?

I already knew my friend was OK - I had spoken to her on the phone (hence me knowing about the collision)

So are you going to apologise, Leanne?

For what? For being mistaken that it was my friend? I don't understand why you are demanding an apology.

Even knowing now that it isn't my friend, I am still a bit upset about some of the negative comments made about the driver and suggestions it was staged :(

Stavro
22-Mar-10, 23:07
I already knew my friend was OK - I had spoken to her on the phone (hence me knowing about the collision)

What? And she told you that she had been pushed sideways along a motorway by a lorry?

I don't understand why you are demanding an apology.

I'm not "demanding" that you make an apology to Thumper, myself and others, but I think it would be the decent thing for you to do.

Tubthumper
23-Mar-10, 00:25
An' I bet you've bin thinkin' she's a Walter Mitty type with tall stories until you saw the video.
:lol: Yeah, Walter Mitty, he was a cove wasn't he? :lol:

Boozeburglar
23-Mar-10, 00:28
What? And she told you that she had been pushed sideways along a motorway by a lorry?

I'm not "demanding" that you make an apology to Thumper, myself and others, but I think it would be the decent thing for you to do.

Unbelievable.

When do the rest of get an apology for all your tripe?

joxville
23-Mar-10, 01:02

Ok, so you knew about her collision from a phone call but don't you think it would have stuck in your mind if she also said she had been pushed sideways by a stonking great truck at 55mph? After all, it's not an everyday occurence. I know for a fact if I was speaking to friend in a similar situation that detail would have stuck in my mind, and I would have told others too. Yes, you made a mistake in assuming the video was your friend but no need to get uppity when people point out the errors in your posts compared to news reports.

BTW, in reply to the pm you sent me, I haven't humiliated you, you done a good enough job of that yourself; and I would say what I said in my previous post to your face.

groater
23-Mar-10, 10:43
there was an add on tv yesterday for bgr accident claim solicitors with a woman in her 50s or so claiming to have been the lady in the car in question???

Thumper
23-Mar-10, 10:51
there was an add on tv yesterday for bgr accident claim solicitors with a woman in her 50s or so claiming to have been the lady in the car in question???

Yup I saw that too,thought I was going mad or something :eek: I am seriously thinking twice about ever driving near a lorry again,seems there are a lot of these type of drivers around at the moment :roll: x

joxville
23-Mar-10, 11:13

Something about your version didn't ring true from the beginning, or should I say, match up with what I read in the paper. You were so adamant in the beginning that it was your friend in the car being pushed by a lorry, that other orgers were bad for doubting you, and now you won't apologise to those you berated. Is this an internet version of Munchausen's Syndrome: you wanted sympathy on your friends behalf? Going by your previous record I'd have to say it was.

BTW, You should get in touch with Chipperfields Circus, you seem to be able to back-pedal better than Coco the clown. :roll:

Phill
26-May-10, 13:39
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/10162158.stm

So there we have it, a bit of outrageous undertaking.

"The slip road joins the middle lane of the motorway, so she was effectively undertaking the 44-tonne tanker, Mr Joyce said. Ms Williams, a vet from York, told police she felt a "bump" as the vehicles came together and her car pivoted 90 degrees."