PDA

View Full Version : Our cat is Missing

scorrie
18-Mar-10, 18:47
Hi, our new cat Sophie has not been seen for the past couple of days. We live in Kennedy Terrace Wick and although Sophie goes out several times a day and sometimes at night, she has never failed to turn up around breakfast time every morning. We have searched all the places she frequents and can only think she might have been locked in a shed or building, as she has recently taken a liking to going into our own sheds. There is a picture attached, any information would be received most gratefully. She is a friendly cat with people she knows but wary of strangers. She has been a lovely pet and thrived since we took her from Foster care. Thanks for looking

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/DSCN2290.jpg

teenybash
18-Mar-10, 21:23
Hope your little lady has just gone off for an extended wander and comes home soon.....

Sarah
18-Mar-10, 21:23
I do hope she is home soon.

Liz
18-Mar-10, 23:55
So very sorry to hear that Sophie has gone missing and know how missing you must be.

It is very likely that she is shut in somewhere so really, really hope she comes home soon.

Rictina
19-Mar-10, 01:15
I hope your wee girlie is at home with you very soon.

scorrie
19-Mar-10, 13:10
Still no sign today. Thanks for the kind wishes. Sadly there are a lot of fast cars going up and down our street and there are a few aggressive dogs in the area from time to time. My daughter and I searched the fields behind Kennedy yesterday, even trawling through the rough terrain where conifers have recently been planted.

From being a shy cat who hid under a stool for the first two days, we have given her the love and confidence to be able to trust us and venture outside, where she has played and hunted like any other cat. She usually sleeps on our bed at night and has the strange habit of nibbling your feet to demonstrate affection. A very gentle and vocal cat who loves our other cat despite his habit of getting carried away sometimes when they play together. Last night I dreamt she had jumped up onto the bed :(

Liz
19-Mar-10, 13:55
Sorry to hear that Sophie has not come home.:(
Have you tried putting up posters in your area and have you notified the Vets, Caithness Cats Protection (there are good tips on their website for when your cat goes missing)and the SSPCA?

Please don't give up though as it is very early days. I had cats go missing for a couple of weeks at a time and it was as if they had vanished into thin air!

Really hope your dream comes true soon.

teenybash
19-Mar-10, 17:03
Hopefully Sophie will come home soon and be nibbling your toes again.....keep hopes high..............think of her and in your mind call her name and she could turn up out of the blue.

scorrie
19-Mar-10, 22:00
Sorry to hear that Sophie has not come home.:(
Have you tried putting up posters in your area and have you notified the Vets, Caithness Cats Protection (there are good tips on their website for when your cat goes missing)and the SSPCA?

Please don't give up though as it is very early days. I had cats go missing for a couple of weeks at a time and it was as if they had vanished into thin air!

Really hope your dream comes true soon.

Hi Liz, We have called the vets and I went knocking on the doors of all the neighbours in the areas she frequents and showed them a photo of Sophie. Will stick some posters up in the morning and contact the others you suggested. She has bonded particularly closely with myself and will come when I call her, after everyone else has already tried. It is difficult to avoid thinking worst case scenarios as she never goes more than a few hours away from the garden at any time. Thanks very much for the positive and kind input from all.

scorrie
21-Mar-10, 18:05
Sophie turned up on our front window at noon today. I could see right away that something was wrong. She has an horrific facial injury and her eye will have to be removed. The vet says her injury is not consistent with being struck by a car. It seems more likely that someone's boot has done the damage. She will remain with the vet on a drip and painkillers overnight and have surgery tomorrow. Emotions are very confused right now, we are obviously grateful she is alive but to see her like this is leaving a knot in the stomach.

Thanks to all who left kind words here.

teenybash
21-Mar-10, 18:15
Lots of mixed feelings on Sophies return....happy that she has returned home to you, but horrified that some insanely wicked individual has injured her so badly...........words fail me, but will match what is going through your own head.[mad][disgust][evil] Hugs and hugs to help her through her operation and recovery.....please keep posting on the wee mites progress.

Big Jean
21-Mar-10, 19:53
While I am not a regular poster, this has brought tears to my eyes .
I can't imagine anyone mistreating any animal, and understand the pain you all must be going through .
I'm so glad Sophie knew where home was, where she would be taken care of, and where she was loved .
Hopefully all will go well with her surgery, and she will be back for you to cuddle, and care for, soon . My thoughts are with you .

Liz
21-Mar-10, 19:54
Oh that is awful Scorrie!!!! How on earth could someone do that to a poor defenceless wee cat?
I can't tell you what I would like to do them if I caught them!!![mad][disgust]

Still it is good that she made it home to you (shows you how much she loves you) and is not lying somewhere suffering.

Here's hoping for a full recovery although I think the emotional damage may be worse than the physical.
Mind you there are really good bach flower remedies which you could try once she gets better.
I know it will be awful for you that she has to have her eye removed but rest assured that it won't bother her at all. Do you think she would be okay being a house cat as this may be the safer option?
Some people think this is cruel but I have had a few house cats (due to them being so nervous) and they have been very happy. One of the cats I have now (Suzy) is a house cat and she shows no interest in going outside and is a happy wee soul.

Sending cyber hugs to you, your family and Sophie.

Keep us posted on her progress.

Venture
21-Mar-10, 21:21
How awful is that.:( It's bad enough when they go missing but to find on their return that they have been badly treated by some idiot who has no thought about inflicting such pain and suffering on a poor defenceless animal, is devastating. She is safe now and here's hoping for a speedy recovery for poor Sophie once she is home again.

evelyn
21-Mar-10, 23:33
Poor Sophie. Its unbelievable how anyone could be so cruel to a defenceless cat. My heart goes out to you Scorrie. I know what you are going through.
A few years ago we had a stray cat who practically lived in our garden. He was very timid and would not come into the house. For 4 days he didn't come for his food. We were out searching for him and found him in a nest of long grass. He was in a bad way,weak and unable to walk. The vet thought that he'd had a kicking.
Every cloud has a silver lining though, and His Nibs,as we called him, was too weak to resist being taken into our home and nursed back to full health. Once settled in the house he rarely ventured far and lived the last few years of his life with us.
He was a lovely cat, timid and unassuming. I fail to comprehend why anyone could have attacked him so viciously.
Fingers crossed all goes well for Sophie.
Evelyn

Kevin Milkins
21-Mar-10, 23:43
I am glad to hear that Sofie has made her way back home to you Scorrie, and hope she makes a full recovery.

carasmam
22-Mar-10, 00:11
[evil]:(

Fingers crossed Sophie makes a good recovery, thinking off you x

purplelady
22-Mar-10, 00:19
hope your poor little cats gets better soon I wud love to get my hand on who has done this x

luskentyre
22-Mar-10, 00:59
Sophie turned up on our front window at noon today. I could see right away that something was wrong. She has an horrific facial injury and her eye will have to be removed. The vet says her injury is not consistent with being struck by a car. It seems more likely that someone's boot has done the damage. She will remain with the vet on a drip and painkillers overnight and have surgery tomorrow. Emotions are very confused right now, we are obviously grateful she is alive but to see her like this is leaving a knot in the stomach.

Thanks to all who left kind words here.

I can understand the mixed emotions. The main thing is that your companion is alive and will hopefully make a good recovery.

Please let us know how she's doing - and let her know what she has a lot of people rooting for her!

Serenity
22-Mar-10, 01:44
I cannot even think of words to describe how I feel reading this :( I hope she is doing well.

Thumper
22-Mar-10, 14:30
Oh dear god!!!!How are there such evil people on this earth? I really hope she makes a good recovery,and with luck the person who did this is caught!x

teenybash
22-Mar-10, 21:40
Wonder how little Sophie is doing today....hope she has fared well.:)

Big Jean
23-Mar-10, 17:16
Is there any news how Sophie is doing ?

I hope this is one of those ... no news is good news, times .

cuddlepop
23-Mar-10, 18:07
Scorrie so very sorry to hear your poor cat has been so badly treated by some heartless thugs.

I know its speculation but if the vet ,who I imagine has seen eneogh injurys in their time to make this assumption,said it was "inhuman" contact thats good eneogh for me.:mad:[disgust]

Please keep us posted.

scorrie
23-Mar-10, 22:49
Hi Folks, thanks for all the kind words. Sophie went through her operation yesterday and it was more complex than the vet had thought, as Sophie's cheek bone had been fractured and there was infection set in. The vet thought it best to keep her with them overnight, so we didn't get Sophie back until today. There is a drain still attached to her face and it has to stay there until Thursday. Sophie did not eat anything at all in the vets and was hissing and spitting at the staff but as soon as we got her home and out of the box she was rubbing herself on our legs and purring, even letting us touch her near her face. She is picking away at food and VERY much wants to go outside but we will have to put up with her calls to be let out, as she has to stay on antibiotics and painkiller for the next 10 days or so. It was quite emotional to see her chewing away at my feet so soon after what has happened to her.

On the subject of what happened to Sophie we cannot be certain what occured. The vet x-rayed her to see if she might have been shot in the face but ruled that out after checking the results. We will probably never know but, sadly, there are people out there who do not share our feelings towards pets. The main thing is that Sophie is home and seems to be coping remarkably well given such a traumatic event.

Will keep you posted, many thanks to all :)

evelyn
23-Mar-10, 23:09
Delighted to hear she's home with you.Paws crossed that she goes from strength to strength now.
Evelyn

Liz
24-Mar-10, 00:11
So glad that Sophie is home where she belongs and sure she will go from strength to strength now.:D

It is awful what has happened to her but she is so lucky to have a family who love her so much.

Keep us posted. xxx

Kevin Milkins
24-Mar-10, 00:41
That is good news.

The no news for a while led me to believe the worse, but the fact that you have your much loved pet at home were she belongs makes me feel much more comfortable.

the scenario that she may have come to harm by people that could do such a thing does not bear thinking about, and I would prefer to think that the wee lass ran into a door, however, if I was to find out different this would make me feel exceptionally sad.

Lets hope she makes a full recovery and continue to delight you with her ways.

teenybash
24-Mar-10, 01:03
Such good news that Sophie is home where she will heal all the faster with your care and love....what better medicine. Keep hopes high that she makes a full recovery, but if she is back doing to toe nibble, I think she will.:)

cherokee
24-Mar-10, 09:48
Really hoping that wee Sophie makes a full recovery.

Its great that, even though some evil,sick individual could have done something like this to a defenceless animal, she knew where "home" was, where she was loved and cared for and managed to find her way back.

She's obviously feeling a more happier wee "bairn" for being surrounded by "her" family.

cuddlepop
24-Mar-10, 09:58
With lots of TLC from yourelfs I',m sure Sophie will come on leaps and bounds.:D

scorrie
27-Mar-10, 13:51
Hi, I haven't been on the PC because Sophie has taken to sleeping on the chair and I haven't the heart to move her. The drain was taken out on Thursday and we were astonished to see how much tubing came out!! What looked to be a drain about an inch long turned out to be the length of a drinking straw!!

The vet informed us that Sophie had already managed to remove the stitches from her eye without his assistance!! Luckily the wound is holding tight. Sadly though, the hole left by the drain seems to have opened and looks bloody so we will need to take her back to the vet today for examination.

Here is an updated photo showing the start of life with one eye:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/DSCN2469.jpg

Thanks to all kind posters.

Liz
27-Mar-10, 14:21
Aw bless you for not moving her to get to your PC.:D

What a shame that there is a problem with the bit where the drain is. Sure the Vets will be able to sort it out though. There are often little 'niggles' to be sorted after surgery.

Sophie is still beautiful! xxxx

balto
27-Mar-10, 15:58
what a terriable story, poor sophie what a time she has had of it, but with your love and patience im sure she will come on leaps and bounds and adjust to life minus a eye. And if someone did do this to a poor innocent cat, i hope they suffer a horriable fate themselfs, me im a big believer in karma, what goes around comes around.

sending sophie big hugs and kisses xx

teenybash
28-Mar-10, 00:18
So glad to see Sophie is doing well despite the glitch where the drain was...vet will sort it no problem. She will be just as lovely with one eye....in fact she will be more than lovely, she will be beautiful....happy healing little Sophie.:)

cherokee
05-Apr-10, 17:47
Hi Scorrie,

Just wondering how wee Sophie is doing now; has she become accustomed with life with one eye?

Hoping that you're all OK?

scorrie
05-Apr-10, 19:40
Hi Scorrie,

Just wondering how wee Sophie is doing now; has she become accustomed with life with one eye?

Hoping that you're all OK?

Hiya, thanks for asking. Sophie is doing really well, the wound where the drain was has dried up and crusted over now. We asked the vet for advice regarding letting Sophie out and she told us that it would probably be best to let her out if that was what she used to do before, rather than risking stressing her by keeping her indoors. The past few nights I have shouted her in at bedtime and she has come trotting along with no problem. She tends to be in and out several times throughout the day, sometimes only having a quick look around the house before going back out. She sleeps in our bed at night and is eating well compared to when she first came home. A new feature is for her to stick her paws on my jeans and sink her teeth into the fabric at the knee, ankles and toes are still at threat from nibbling gnashers!!

Sophie seems to be moving her head about a lot more now when examining anything, no doubt to compensate for her reduced field of vision. One side effect seems to be that her tongue sticks out a bit now and she dribbles a bit. The vet was at a loss to explain this, as there is no connection between the eye and the mouth. She is very happy though, and that is the main thing.

Thanks again!!

cuddlepop
05-Apr-10, 20:32
I'm alwas amazed at how quickly our animals recover after major surgery.

wee Sophies a star thats determined to shine.:D

purplelady
05-Apr-10, 22:24
am so glad your wee cat is doing so well would still like to get my hands on the scum who did it mind x

carasmam
06-Apr-10, 02:20
Glad she's doing well :D

cherokee
06-Apr-10, 15:30
That sounds really good news, Scorrie!

Thanks for letting us all know how Sophie is doing and heres hoping that she continues to improve and to be able to once again enjoy life outside without fear of total morons hurting her again in any way !!!

carasmam
13-Apr-10, 21:26
How is Sophie doing now Scorrie?

scorrie
14-Apr-10, 17:37
How is Sophie doing now Scorrie?

Thank you for asking. Sophie is doing really well, the swelling on her face has come down and the wounds have healed up. I am a little unsure about whether there is still a stitch or two in her eye wound. Even though we can stroke her face it is not possible to poke around and feel for stitches. She has pretty much gone back to the way she lived before the incident, spending the day outside and coming back to the window several times and inside for short stays before heading back out. Once she is in at night we keep her in and after a few minutes she realises that and comes up to sleep on our bed, lying against my legs. I tend to sleep in the shape of the letter Z some nights!! When our other cat Hamish is on the bed, the slightest movement from the occupants sends him off in disgust but you can drag Sophie a few feet across the bed on the quilt and it doesn't bother her. One thing I have noticed is that the top and bottom teeth on one side of her face are closer together than they used to be, whereas the corresponding teeth on the opposite side are farther apart than they used to be. This would suggest that her bottom jaw has probably moved out of alignment and this might be why her tongue sticks out a bit now and why she salivates more. I had thought about getting the vet to check it out but it doesn't seem to be bothering Sophie at all and she gets stressed going to the vets. It takes her a while to settle back down properly after being at the vet, she is very much a cat that has to get to know people and surroundings before relaxing a bit. Everything we do with her is done at the pace that suits her, which can be good as it is a great excuse not to take the hoover out!! LOL

Thanks again.

Liz
14-Apr-10, 18:32
Glad to hear that Sophie is doing well Scorrie.

I completely understand why you don't want want to take Sophie back to the Vets as my cat Suzy is exactly the same and I always have to weigh up whether taking her to the Vets is worth the stress and anxiety it causes her.
Thankfully, I can treat her with natural remedies.

If the jaw problem isn't bothering Sophie that is all that matters. Take it she can eat with no problems?

Ha ha. I'm sure all of us can relate to sleeping in strange positions to accommodate a cat!:lol:

Och who needs to hoover anyway!lol

carasmam
14-Apr-10, 18:44
:cool: So glad Sophie is doing so well.
I know what you mean about whether the stress of going to the vet is worth it and as long as she is eating ok I'm sure she's not bothererd about her looks.

Sleeping in a z shape is part and parcel of dog ownership in this house so I'm happy to hear the felines rule the beds too :lol:

dollycat
14-Apr-10, 19:32
The first time I used the org was when our new dog went missing. The story of Sophie is inspiring and gives me hope when I wonder if we will ever get Holly home.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all think Sophie is beautiful before and after her terrible troubles. Hope she has many lazy, sunshine days:)