PDA

View Full Version : Gurkhas

Venture
18-Mar-10, 10:28
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258735/Picture-despair-24-Gurkhas-living-desperate-poverty-country-fought-wont-Joanna-Lumley-speak-now.html

I was horrified to read about the current situation of these Gurkhas who gave up everything in their own country to come to the UK on the promise that life would be so much better for them here. Joanna Lumley fought for them to have the right to come to this country. Why does she and everyone else now seem to have abandonded them?

Leanne
18-Mar-10, 10:37
It's more than that - they fought for our country too. They should have all the benefits that our soldiers have but they get none :(

Mr Z
18-Mar-10, 11:59
Other incomers to this country who have never helped in any way are given homes, money and benefits because we have to do that otherwise it will be seen as discrimination. Britain is a soft touch so why have we got hard on this small group.

John Little
18-Mar-10, 12:54
It is not actually Joanna Lumley's responsibility to do something here. She's an actress.

She should not have had to do anything originally. It seems completely right that if somebody is good enough to fight and die for this country then they are certainly good enough to live in it. And their right to do so is certainly greater than that of many others....

But the fact that these Gurkhas are in this situation is squarely on the shoulders of government and social services.

It may be that Joanna Lumley will have to ginger them up again - but the point is that she should not have to do so.
The newspaper has done so - which is their legitmate function, but to have a go at an ordinary citizen who had already done a lot, for not doing more is a cheap shot.

Unless she is an MP, a minister, a civil servant....

equusdriving
18-Mar-10, 14:21
It's more than that - they fought for our country too. They should have all the benefits that our soldiers have but they get none :(
I agree 100% its a disgrace

equusdriving
18-Mar-10, 14:22
Other incomers to this country who have never helped in any way are given homes, money and benefits because we have to do that otherwise it will be seen as discrimination. Britain is a soft touch so why have we got hard on this small group.
That sums it up perfectly I agree 100% its a disgrace

dafi
18-Mar-10, 15:28
Too right its a shamefull state of affairs, i bet it wont change with a change of goverment either!!

Anfield
18-Mar-10, 16:21
It is appalling, but as John Little said, don't shoot the message bearer.
Why can't any of the various old soldier organisations get involved in this issue.

Stavro
18-Mar-10, 16:30
What about the money raised by the annual Poppy Day Appeal? Does any of that go to this cause?

The Drunken Duck
18-Mar-10, 16:50
What about the money raised by the annual Poppy Day Appeal? Does any of that go to this cause?

Probably a small amount. Poppy money looks a lot until it is divided up between all the service charities. The Gurkha's have their own Welfare Trust who should have been looking after them. It seems the ball has been dropped in this case though. They do have an Office in Salsibury which I phoned ealrier to ask just what was being done for those involved in this case. Plans are afoot to help these guys, and others, apparently.

The Gurkha Welfare Trust .. http://www.gwt.org.uk/

The sad fact is that these days its Forces Charities that do the vast majority of work with those who served. Look at Combat Stress, H4H, RAF Benevolent Fund etc etc. The Government doesnt really want to know once you have done your time and your out the door.

Stavro
18-Mar-10, 16:52
Probably a small amount. Poppy money looks a lot until it is divided up between all the service charities. The Gurkha's have their own Welfare Trust who should have been looking after them. It seems the ball has been dropped in this case though. They do have an Office in Salsibury which I phoned ealrier to ask just what was being done for those involved in this case. Plans are afoot to help these guys, and others, apparently.

The Gurkha Welfare Trust .. http://www.gwt.org.uk/

The sad fact is that these days its Forces Charities that do the vast majority of work with those who served. Look at Combat Stress, H4H, RAF Benevolent Fund etc etc. The Government doesnt really want to know once you have done your time and your out the door.

Good points.