PDA

View Full Version : Royalties from oil.

piratelassie
18-Mar-10, 03:16
The tax revinue from North Sea Oil at present goes to Westminster.
With an independant Scotland that tax would go to Edinburgh.
Am i right or am i right ?.

Phill
18-Mar-10, 08:40

Me still thinks it'd be crown estate.

But what needs to be remembered is that it doesn't go to westminster and and sit in Lizzies bank.

porshiepoo
18-Mar-10, 09:41
The continental shelf act 1964 and the Continental order 1968 split the North sea.
As far as I am aware anything above 55 degrees north comes under scots law.
What that would mean (in theory) is that Scotland would get around 85 - 90% of the North sea oil, England would get the North sea gases.

This is a subject debated many times - sometimes very heatedly.
I'm not sure what kind of wealth there is left in the North sea oil though, there seems to be many contradictory pieces of information available, so whether owning North sea oil would make Scotland the oil rich Independent country some people think it would, I'm not so sure.

Tom Cornwall
20-Mar-10, 23:25

you would probably find that you are wrong..but there you go

piratelassie
20-Mar-10, 23:44
You would proberbly find that i was right. Check for yourself.

joxville
20-Mar-10, 23:46
The tax revenue may go to Edinburgh but Scotland will still have a high unemployment rate and many living below the breadline; the country as a whole may be might be richer, the wealthy will get wealthier, but it'll be no different for the vast majority of people regardless of which Parliament runs the country. What's with this 'independence' rubbish anyway, as I understand it Alex Salmond wants Scotland to be part of the EU, so where is our independence if are going to be ruled from Brussels instead of Westminster? When it comes to a vote the choices are no better than choosing cholera over tuberculosis. :roll:

redeyedtreefrog
21-Mar-10, 00:02
Oil's running out, renewables mainly of the marine variety would make Scotland rich.

northener
21-Mar-10, 00:49
You would proberbly find that i was right. Check for yourself.

Nah, you brought the subject up...you provide unbiased independant evidence to back up your claim.

piratelassie
21-Mar-10, 02:17
As has been already written, why dont we reap our own harvest and ring our own till.

northener
21-Mar-10, 02:44
As has been already written, why dont we reap our own harvest and ring our own till.

We've been here before....why do you believe that it is purely 'Scottish' oil?

piratelassie
21-Mar-10, 03:23
For exactly the same reason that theoil off the coast of Norway belongs , quite simply to Norway.

Phill
21-Mar-10, 12:04
And what do you expect to happen if on Monday morning THEY said, right chaps this bit is Scottish oil now?

Are you expecting a cheque in the post from Royal Dutch & BP?

What you'll see is a massive (not a comparative) reduction in the Treasury subsidy and no doubt a few bills in the post from Westminster based (financially speaking) services to Holyrood.

Have you ever considered the revenue and wealth generated in Scotland from oil related servicing?

This is just a political hoo har that is never going to change, even if it did it wouldn't make any beneficial changes, probably worse.

The whole independent Scotland is a waste of time and energy unless it is to be done 100% from top to bottom, and in this world it is not a wise move to distance yourself.

Political tosh & bunkum to distract the sheep from the real issues.

ducati
21-Mar-10, 12:09
And what do you expect to happen if on Monday morning THEY said, right chaps this bit is Scottish oil now?

Are you expecting a cheque in the post from Royal Dutch & BP?

What you'll see is a massive (not a comparative) reduction in the Treasury subsidy and no doubt a few bills in the post from Westminster based (financially speaking) services to Holyrood.

Have you ever considered the revenue and wealth generated in Scotland from oil related servicing?

This is just a political hoo har that is never going to change, even if it did it wouldn't make any beneficial changes, probably worse.

The whole independent Scotland is a waste of time and energy unless it is to be done 100% from top to bottom, and in this world it is not a wise move to distance yourself.

Political tosh & bunkum to distract the sheep from the real issues.

Scottish independence is a very popular option in England-Wonder why :roll:

John Little
21-Mar-10, 12:13
"Scottish independence is a very popular option in England-"

That is increasingly true. I detect it - and I hate it. I am about half in half and it would be like my parents getting a divorce.