PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent Tubes

doyle
18-Mar-10, 00:00
Is there someone that could tell me if it is more energy efficient to leave these on or should I be switching it off every time I leave the kitchen? I keep it on once it's switched on as I have been told in the past that it uses more energy switching it off and on all the time than it does leaving it on. I am always going round the house switching off all the other lights that other members keep leaving on :roll:

mrlennie
18-Mar-10, 00:12
I would have thought these energy saving light bulbs use so little energy its up to your convienence whether you turn it off or not.

doyle
18-Mar-10, 00:24
It's not an energy saving light bulb I have in the kitchen. Do you get these type in energy saving form that give out good light? I like to see what i'm doing in the kitchen!

mrlennie
18-Mar-10, 00:31
Oh i don't know about that, they do struggle for light. I know they have a starter motor on them that may be why they use alot of energy to get "started".
Why not just change the socket over to a regular bulb its not that big a job.

Dynamic Sounds
18-Mar-10, 10:45
It is better to switch them off.

They do use more power to switch on than they do when they are running, but from what I can remember from high school physics, it's something like 120% of the power for something like 5 seconds, so if you are gonna be switching it off for more than 6 seconds you save money.

Also it does shorten the life of the tube switcing it on but this is by a miniscule amount, i think it was in the region of less that 1%.

So in short - switch the light off when not in use.

mrlennie
18-Mar-10, 11:04
I learnt something there, interesting post.

doyle
18-Mar-10, 19:33
It is better to switch them off.

They do use more power to switch on than they do when they are running, but from what I can remember from high school physics, it's something like 120% of the power for something like 5 seconds, so if you are gonna be switching it off for more than 6 seconds you save money.

Also it does shorten the life of the tube switcing it on but this is by a miniscule amount, i think it was in the region of less that 1%.

So in short - switch the light off when not in use.

Thanks for that Dynamic Sounds - sounds like u paid attention in your physics class then! ;)