PDA

View Full Version : Fishtank stand?

Dadie
17-Mar-10, 22:14
Looking for something to put my 70L fishtank on.
It is for the livingroom and must look good (at least 10x as much as the black and decker workmate it is currently on!) and be able to take the weight of the tank filled with water and be able to hide the cables and other fishy bits and pieces and not get ruined by watermarks/constant wet bits!
Any ideas?

mrlennie
17-Mar-10, 23:46
Does it have to be in the middle of the room?

They do look good built into a recess in the wall, is that not an option? Build a wooden table then cover the bottom with plasterboard?

Can't really think of anything big enough for the middle of a room...Why can I not get away from the idea of a snooker table? [lol]

Dadie
18-Mar-10, 20:59
Goodness!!
Definately not the middle of the room...
Just something for it to go on beside the fireplace against the wall, high enough to stop small children from washing their hands in the tank or "helping" feed the fish!

mrlennie
19-Mar-10, 00:40
I cant think of anything but i will keep my eyes peeled!!!:eek:

Dadie
19-Mar-10, 14:29
Would an ordinary coffee table or sideboard take the weight?
70L tank with water and gravel must weigh in at about 70-80 kilos.
If I can get one to hold the weight would someone make a glass top or plastic to prevent the wood rotting due to water spillages (they run under the tank where you cannot get to)
That is about all I can think of unless anyone else can come up with any better ideas!
I need the workmate its sitting on and if I can get something attractive for the fishes to sit on the livingroom will get decorated as Im not moving and decanting water and fish twice if I can help it!

mrlennie
19-Mar-10, 17:51
If you can't get something like a glass or plastic have you thought of lino?

Would it support the weight....It depends on how well it's built. They are only designed for coffee cups and a bit of paper. So i'm not sure how they would stand up to the tank test :)

Leanne
19-Mar-10, 17:54
I had a 4 foot tank on a sideboard. As long as it is sold wood and not cheap stuff it should be ok. Look at the poor build quality of the ones in PAH and compare to those - if yours looks stronger than those it should hold it. 70 litres isn't that big a tank really...

This is what I had my 4 footer on (and it overhung the edges a bit).

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6138316/Trail/searchtext%3ESTRAND.htm