PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Paper Gaming/RPG groups?

RecQuery
17-Mar-10, 14:54
Perhaps this should go in the hobbies forum, I'm not sure. Anyway:

I'm wondering if there are any local pen and paper gaming or RPG groups, I don't really care on the game or system just wondering if anything is being played locally:

Dungeons and Dragons
Call of Cthulhu
World of Darkness stuff
Paranoia
Deadlands
Mutants and Masterminds
GURPS
Traveller/Megatraveller

Whatever, hell even Settlers of Catan would be welcome at this point.

Flashman
17-Mar-10, 16:24
How come this type of game survives in a world full of modern computer games?

Is it 80's nostalgia or do young people aswell as people who grew up in the period play

Just a query like

RecQuery
17-Mar-10, 17:18
Well I'm in my twenties and I've played with younger and older than me. While there are a few games which try and recreate the gaming table experience they're different, enjoyable but still different.

Serenity
17-Mar-10, 19:49
I play DnD 4th Edition in Thurso. I'm in my mid 20s and people both younger and older play in my party. I don't play many computer games.

James McMarch
10-Mar-11, 20:39
Hi

I recently moved to Thurso and I'd like to start playing in an RPG party.
I've played

Dungeons and Dragons (up to 3.5)
Call of Cthulhu (Classic % system)
Trail of Cthulhu (with the Gumshoe system)
Cyberpunk 2020
Pendragon
Sine Requie
Vampires (masquerade and dark ages)
Lex Arcana
MERP
Tiers Age (nice, but French)
and my favourite: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (up to 2nd ed)

Please, feel free to contact me if you need a player...
Thanks

Phill
10-Mar-11, 22:27
RPG??

I assume not rocket propelled grenades.

Metalattakk
11-Mar-11, 01:04
RPG??

I assume not rocket propelled grenades.

Nah. They've got +40 critical and are unblockable except with lvl 10 Underground Bunker. Or magic. ;)

The Music Monster
11-Mar-11, 01:12
I love WFR, but was really disappointed to get the newer book... Since Games Workshop stopped doing it, it is not as good. I've never done any other RPG, but I used to love Warhammer when I was a kid - great thing about being 1 of 6 kids, we formed a fantastic group of adventurers!!!

Phill
11-Mar-11, 01:15
Nah. They've got +40 critical and are unblockable except with lvl 10 Underground Bunker. Or magic.
:eek:

Can I have that in Mandarin please, I'd probably understand it easier.

Just wondered what RPG meant.:~(

Metalattakk
11-Mar-11, 01:17
Role-Playing Game. And no, it's not dirty. ;)

theone
11-Mar-11, 01:32
I did a bit of D+D back in the mid nineties.

Good fun, but I never really got into it enough, certainly not as much as I would have liked to.

Phill
11-Mar-11, 01:47
Role-Playing Game. And no, it's not dirty. ;)
Aaahhhhh, now that makes sense!

_Ju_
11-Mar-11, 10:50
How come this type of game survives in a world full of modern computer games?

Is it 80's nostalgia or do young people aswell as people who grew up in the period play

Just a query like

My brother in law is a little into World of Warcraft. But he says ( and I am glad he does) that there is nothing quite like meeting up with your friends and speaking with them face to face and (as they say up here) enjoying the craic, so he also plays paper/pen with a group that also, once in a while, dress up and role play on a weekend. They go somewhere rural, rent a cottage and generally enjoy themselves like the big goofy kids they used to be but that paying for the bills tends hide !

The Bruce
11-Mar-11, 11:48
Flashman,

Never underestimate the ability of a human being to do something unpredictably stupid.

Computers and consles can't cope with that. The slick mind of a games master can. There are loads of times when you are forced down a path you don't really want to follow in computer games, but you have to go that way because if you don't, you might as well switch the damned thing off. People do it anyway, because if you get killed you can just reload from your last save point. In a role playing game players are much more attached to thier characters. They are completely unique and utterly belong to that player as opposed to say 50 million Marcus Fennix worldwide (The lead Character in Gears of war console games.) He's pretty cool, but he doesn't matter so much because you don't get to chose what he looks like or what his attributes are or anything at all. And there are fifty million of him in the world. There's only one Nigel de Tuff. (My AD&D character.) and Nigel is worth 150 million Marcuses. SImilarly, the game is yours. (Plural including all the players and the Games master.) wereas the Gears of war campaigns have been completed by Millions worldwide only a select few have fought thier way through Greyhawk to defend the Sheild lands fom the Overking. (The campaign Nigel was on when he died.)

Also, imagine you get to the end of the mission and meet the biggest baddest boss in the game and you decide you just want to run away. In a computer game you can't. In a role playing game you can. There will be consequences, like the evil baddie goes on a rampage killing people, but it's possible. I remember a computer game I had once boasting of a possible 27 different endings. In an RPG there are an infinitey of different endings, and actually it never needs to end. I have some mates who have been playing th same game since they were at school over 20 years ago!

And another thing, it doesn't cost 49.99 for each game! One pencil, some paper and a couple of dice and away you go!

RecQuery
11-Mar-11, 12:43
This thread is about a year old at this point, but glad it's finally getting some more replies.

James McMarch
11-Mar-11, 16:37
Never underestimate the power of nostalgia!!

Anyway, is anyone still active in the RPG field, or everyone retired, to sadly face commitments and responsibilities?

yorkshire lassie
11-Mar-11, 20:58
Nah. They've got +40 critical and are unblockable except with lvl 10 Underground Bunker. Or magic. ;)

That made me laugh aloud! I used to play RuneQuest down in Yorkshire. Started playing when I was in my late teens and played on and off until about 3 years ago. I wouldn't like to play them on the pc. It just wouldn't be the same.

squidge
12-Mar-11, 11:09
My son and his four friends all decided to have a go and the Bruce ran a wee game for them over about a year. They thoroughly enjoyed it - they were about 14. They met up seperately and worked on the thing. They were a group of both boys and girls and it sort of fizzled out when i had the baby and wasnt well for AGES. Then standard grades and boy/girl friends started to impact on their time and they haven't done it in ages but they did enjoy it.

We often have games nights though here where the guys play "Samuri Swords" and other complicated long drawn out games. ( i usually sit in the living room and watch a girlie film)

Its good to get them to use their imagination and get them out from behind the computer screen.

RecQuery
12-Mar-11, 11:34
It's really no different than people meeting up for a game of pool/poker/football or even going out drinking on a regular basis. I've noticed a slight bias to try and associate the activity with teenage boys and people stopping when they 'grow up'. All I can say is that when I was at uni the RPG society/club was quite large and encompassed all ages, genders and ethnicities. We had 60 year old professors, various lecturers, local business people etc. There's actually quite a number of players in the armed forces who seem to play RPGs for some reason. I don't know why they shouldn't it's just always seemed a bit incongruous to me.

I suppose if you want a benefit for playing RPGs beyond having fun, then they've been shown to improve math, english, imagination and reasoning and can (depending on the game) teach people about history, mythology and geography.

There's a few podcasts out there that record gaming sessions if anyone wants to know what it's like.

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 11:36
How times must have changed.....

When we were peedie, role playing games involving dragons, mutants, aliens, cops, robbers, cowboys or indians were enacted outside, charging around an open space with a sword/lightsabre/gun/bow* (*Delete as applicable), fashioned out of a bit of wood and a "costume" fashioned out of cardboard!

Playing such games with pen and paper much have been the intermediate "couch potato" stage to playing computer games?

RecQuery
12-Mar-11, 11:46
How times must have changed.....

When we were peedie, role playing games involving dragons, mutants, aliens, cops, robbers, cowboys or indians were enacted outside, charging around an open space with a sword/lightsabre/gun/bow* (*Delete as applicable), fashioned out of a bit of wood and a "costume" fashioned out of cardboard!

Playing such games with pen and paper much have been the intermediate "couch potato" stage to playing computer games?

Yup, that's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Why do people treat stuff like this as zero-sum games. For reference the first RPG was invented in 1974 and I suppose board games could be classes as a precursor to RPGs. I'm sure you had to walk 15 miles in the snow up hill both ways to get to school and that nothing bad ever happened to anyone either and that kids were smarter and people nicer...

squidge
12-Mar-11, 11:50
Hmm we are medieval re enactors, living history and Scottish Wars of Independance so I guess I spend my whole summer "role playing" and sitting taking it easy on a couch is NOT part of it lol.

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 11:57
Yup, that's exactly the attitude I'm talking about.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/Xiphan/Emoticons/5.gif Why, thank you!