PDA

View Full Version : Techy Question

Kingetter
21-May-06, 09:08
Reinstalling Windows XP Pro:

I'm needing to reinstall XP Pro as I now have my own copy purchased legally, while that on the PC came with the PC. I've heard something worrying about a previous owner.
Do I need to format the drive, thus losing ALL my data and settings, including internet/broadband etc., or if I just go ahead, will everything work ok? Most of my own docs I've copied to CD but I'm bothered about some of the stuff I can't copy that way.
Thanks.

pultneytooner
21-May-06, 11:09
Reinstalling Windows XP Pro:

I'm needing to reinstall XP Pro as I now have my own copy purchased legally, while that on the PC came with the PC. I've heard something worrying about a previous owner.
Do I need to format the drive, thus losing ALL my data and settings, including internet/broadband etc., or if I just go ahead, will everything work ok? Most of my own docs I've copied to CD but I'm bothered about some of the stuff I can't copy that way.
Thanks.

Maybe if you could get a hold of a second H.D you could transfer all your data across then back once you have installed your XP.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 11:18
My own docs mainly can be copied to cd - some programs like a/v I got from internet. I'm concerned about losing my internet connection settings etc and not having online help putting things right again. It was suggested I get an external hard drive and copy but that doesn't sort out settings, does it?

pultneytooner
21-May-06, 11:24
My own docs mainly can be copied to cd - some programs like a/v I got from internet. I'm concerned about losing my internet connection settings etc and not having online help putting things right again. It was suggested I get an external hard drive and copy but that doesn't sort out settings, does it?
The only other thing is maybe a prog such as norton ghost, it will make a backup of your current installation which you could store on your second HD.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 11:26
backup? but of a possibly illegal copy? how would that help?

pultneytooner
21-May-06, 11:46
Why don't you just write down all the settings.
With a new installation of XP, everything will be wiped.

Earlhickey
21-May-06, 11:48
backup? but of a possibly illegal copy? how would that help? backup all your personal data, and as long as you have your original program disc's user names and passwords simply reinstall everything.
A clean install after formatting is the best way to go imho.

william53
21-May-06, 11:49
sorry to say but the only way to get rid of it is by doing a reformat thats what u will need to do to fix the problem.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 11:57
Yup. I dread losing my internet connection as a result as I'm not sure how I'd get it back. That's the real worry.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 12:02
I can manage programs I had discs for, but A/V & others I downloaded off the net so would need the net to get em back.

Niall Fernie
21-May-06, 12:06
If you are going down the format route (worth doing every 6 months or so even if just to pass the time) you should partition your drive into at least 2 parts, one for your windows installation and one for everything else. I also use a fixed page file partition to prevent fragmentation and resizing.

Then using TweakUI (free download from Microsoft) you can change the locations of many useful folders like My Docs, Favorites, etc etc to your non-windows partition (I call it the storage partition). Once you have everything in the right place, you can reinstall the windows partition as often as you like without worring about losing your data. All that needs reinstalled are Software packages, like Office, games etc. You can also change the storage location of your e-mail (from within Outlook Express or whatever you use) so that it's also on the storage partition and you can export your account settings to a file for later retrieval. Doing this also makes it really handy for backing up as everything you need is in easy to get at places.

Before you format though, I'd have a look at the disk management section of the computer management console (right click My Comp, go to "manage") and see if the current partition takes up the entire drive as if your drive is large enough, you may have some unused space that have not been formatted. You can get windows to create a partition on the unused part and copy your big files there before you start.

An external Hard Drive should only set you back 50-70 quid for something around 160-250 gig, as suggested its the best method of backup as generally you can dump a copy of your entire internal drive on it. Even if your are backing up a dodgy copy, you can always delete it once you're back up and running. Also, its a good idea to make sure your PC is virus/malware free before you back anything up as otherwise you may just be carrying on current problems to your new installation.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 12:25
Thanks very much for all that. I'm not sure I know enough to do the partition thing though it makes a whole lot of sense. I've a 40gb drive, nearly 23 free, though a wee bit of that is my own docs - the rest programs, some downloaded off the net, so no discs. I guess I'll need the extra drive space before long anyhow, so maybe that's the first step.

EDDIE
21-May-06, 12:42
If you format any hardrive u will lose everthing and if you install windows xp over the top of it u will lose everthing i would worry to much about the internet connection its easy enough to put back in
If you have a big hardrive u can partion the drives and store your files in the other partion and then u can format c drive and put window xp on
I use acronis drive image and partition its a really easy to use program for partioning and drive imagining and its not all that dear
Im a great believer in imaging the c drive because when ure operating system is playing up all u have to do is reimage it back on which takes less than ten mins to do and its back to the way u want it rather than wipeing everthing and puting everthing back in which is hasstle and time consuming.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 12:44
You make it sound so easy! I know just enough to be dangerous on here and get myself in real bother.

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 14:26
if it's a broadband connection that's always on, when you reinstall just add a network connection and it will configure automatically.

If it's dialup.. go to your providers website and write down all your needed settings. And go to your email prog and write down all the mail servers, username, pass and if you need a secure login.

I copy everything to DVDs and redownload all programs I use for fresh updated copies in most cases. If you have anti-virus software... like norton.. don't forget to write down either your order # or activation key cause that can be a pain if you don't have it! You can see your automatic saved passwords in browser by looking around.. Firefox for example... go to tools..options.. privacy.

reboot from XP cd format drive and bam! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL DRIVERS FOR YOUR COMPUTER THAT CAME WITH IT and REINSTALL THEM ALL EVEN IF YOU AREN@T SURE WHAT THEY ARE!

goodluck....

Kingetter
21-May-06, 14:37
I have BT Broadband so no probs there?
My A/v - Norton was downloaded.
What about my emails?

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 14:51
If you downloaded Norton fro the net... at least write down your product key which you can get by opening the norton prog.. in help and support goto Norton account and retrieve the key by logging into your account. or maybe you saved the original order email and that will contain all info you'll need to write down.. including your order number.. I've found this can be difficult trying to redownload it if you don't have these details.

BT Broadband should be no probs.. when you've reinstalled xp and all drivers and modem is plugged in just set up network connection and it will configure automatically after you answer all the questions in the wizard about the connection.

Kingetter
21-May-06, 14:54
& existing emails? I have countless with "very hard to recover" info & addresses.

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 14:58
there is a few ways to do emails... you can either forward them all to a webbased email if you have one and forward them back to your account when you reinstall.. or just select all emails in the folder you want by selecting the first one in the list.. hold the SHIFT key & select the last email in the list that should select them all. Create new folder on desktop and drag and drop all emails to folder and repeat for all the rest of your email folders then copy onto usb stick or cd or dvd.

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 15:02
You can also copy your address book by... opening the address book and dragging and dropping the addresses (which are in a kinda business card type file) into another folder that you'd copy onto cd, dvd or usb stick then transfer back.

You can also just print these and manually add them again.

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 15:08
nialls way is prolly the quickest.. but, is not foolproof. for example... one cup of tea over a laptop can finish ya for good! I keep everything on dvd, inprivate stuff uploaded to my web server & small files on usb sticks... and really important stuff printed!

Kingetter
21-May-06, 15:27
have maybe 1000 emails in my outlook express box and a heck of a lot of email addresses too. can't see printing as an option really.

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 15:50
as I say.. you can copy them to a folder and save on cd.

Bobinovich
21-May-06, 17:28
Without wanting to put myself out of business or reveal all the tricks of the trade, the following information should help anyone wanting to perform this task.

Outlook Express (OE) stores your e-mails in a sub-folder on your hard drive. To find out the exact path go into OE > Tools > Options > Maintenance tab then click on the Store Folder button. This will indicate that your files are stored in a folder called C:\Documents and Settings\<Name of your Login>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities - so just back them up to CD/DVD/external hard drive from there.

Your Address Book is usually in C:\Documents and Settings\<Name of your Login>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book - the file to back up is name.adr

The main settings you will need to backup before restoring is your POP & SMTP e-mail servers (BT is mail.btinternet.com for both in your case), your username and password. That's enough information to get your e-mail system back up and running.

Finally it's a good idea to make sure you have all your driver CD's available before starting. Graphics card, sound card, chipset, modem/broadband, network card. If most of your connectors are grouped together then the chances are your main driver CD will be for the motherboard as it will cover most of the drivers required.

If you are at all in doubt of performing the backup, wipe & reinstall process the complete task can be performed by a knowledgable friend or a local IT consultant - just look here http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/category.php?cat=67 or in yellow pages.

Best of luck