PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

Ash87
16-Mar-10, 20:28
Hey everyone :)

Currently looking for horse insurance for my youngster.. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice? Any info would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Thanks guys!!

summer
16-Mar-10, 20:34
If you join WHW (was ILPH) or BHS you get third party right away and free legal advice which could be handy.

For a full policy I'd do some google searches and see who gives you the best quote.

stromalassy
16-Mar-10, 21:26
Hey everyone :)

Currently looking for horse insurance for my youngster.. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice? Any info would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Thanks guys!!
I got a good deal with E&L insurance, about £21 per month. covers vets bills etc, cheapest i could find, give them a try, you can get a quote online. Good luck

Kathy@watten
16-Mar-10, 21:41
We have found with horse insurance you really get what you pay for, some insurers seem cheap untill you read the small print, they insure for the value in current market regardless what you paid, if they deem your horse to be worth less than you paid and you have a claim you may get very little back. you also can be stung if they consider your horse under valued, and if it's value is over about £2500/£3000 a vet certificate is usually required. Most of the insurers that put leaflets in the mags etc are poor value in the event of a claim and have too small a value for treatment considering we are so far North and a small trip to the Vet school in Edinburgh will cost about £700 minimum in travel and stabling for example before they even do anything, and often after such treatment these insurers will not cover for the same problem...not much use in the event of colic, or mystery unsoundness etc. Really research before you shell out your hard earned cash. I personally have only one or two of mine insured for vets fees and sadly would have to bear the brunt of a vets bill or cut my losses in the event of a death for any of the others, tho everyone has third party insurance incase they cause an accident.

cameroncara
16-Mar-10, 22:55
Please do not use E&L i was with them but changed to nfu as E&L refused to pay out one time. As Kathy has said you pay for what you get. My friend is a vet and she says that they have never had a problem with nfu for payouts yes more expensive but worth the peace of mind.

Im also a member oe WHW so they will cover your public liabilty.
Hope this helps.

Kathy@watten
17-Mar-10, 00:33
Have to agree E&L a bit of an easy cheap option but the cover is limited and in the event of a claim they usually find a loophole so they can payout the absolute minimum, no use for high value show animals or anything with an on going problem. I also like NFU cover they tailor to what you have and what uses you have for the said animal, and they pay out in the event of the unmentonable happening. the local office is very helpful and you can also pay monthly.

topotheuk
17-Mar-10, 10:59
E&L have had some really bad press over the years.
I use Scottish Equine Insurance Services in Glasgow. They were started up by horsey folk, so their policies are tailored to what you need. I have had to claim once on my policy and they paid out in full, no quibbles and in very quick time. They are not necessarily the cheapest but as Kath says, you tend to get what you pay for. I did actually find them cheaper than NFU. I have my horses and trailer insured with them and still find them very reasonable. I also have cover for livery fees and transport if my horses need to go to the Vet School.

cazmanian_minx
17-Mar-10, 11:40
Another 'avoid E&L' here - they may look cheap, but they're good a wriggling out of paying and if you read the very, very, very small print, often their 'monthly' payment is a LUNAR month, i.e. 4 weeks, so you pay it 13 times a year instead of 12.

Oso was insured with PetPlan when I had him and they weren't extortionate. Never had to claim with the equine insurance, but they paid up promptly for all the cat claims and hopefully will do the same for the dog claim about to be submitted to them.

LORRAINE
17-Mar-10, 15:39
pet plan all the way have had e&l in the past and they don't pay up however had a huge claim and pet plan paid no questions asked i even insure my shettie with them:D

Jovi
17-Mar-10, 16:07
Petplan Equine Direct for me,very understanding and supportive through a very difficult time. Good advice,claim sorted quickly and directly with my vet so that I wasn't troubled with sorting things out when I had other things to worry me. Not the cheapest but worth the cost. I also was advised by 2 vets not to touch E&L they had both had trouble with payouts and were left .dealing with distressed owners.

daisychain
17-Mar-10, 17:30
I too would advise against E&L, i had a horse that died after a horrific accident and it took over a year to get them to settle the claim which was very distressing. Since then i've been with Scottish Equestrian they were very good. My daughters horse is with NFU not the cheapest but they have a local office and the girls in there are very helpful. Hope that helps.

stromalassy
18-Mar-10, 10:44
I too would advise against E&L, i had a horse that died after a horrific accident and it took over a year to get them to settle the claim which was very distressing. Since then i've been with Scottish Equestrian they were very good. My daughters horse is with NFU not the cheapest but they have a local office and the girls in there are very helpful. Hope that helps.
oops, sorry i reccomended E@L, after reading these posts i think i'll be changing insurers, haven't had to make any claims as yet and have only had my horse since November so haven't had any dealings with them.

craigmancie
18-Mar-10, 10:55
i use petplan find them really good. it's bout £25 a month for my horse for full insurance that covers evrything.
Some of the other ponies i have only insured for loss of use/death & public liability this makes it a little cheaper. I believe even if u dont insure for anything else get public liability on your horse because if your horse is ever involved in an accident with a member of the public you are covered for the thousands of pounds this can run into.

Ash87
18-Mar-10, 22:17
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone :) Can I just go down to NFU in Thurso and talk to them about it?? It's looking like petplan is offering the best deal at the mo :)