PDA

View Full Version : Buying bus tickets online

exothermic
16-Mar-10, 15:23
Even with a Young Scots concession card, it seems to be costing a lot of money for my offspring to take the bus to Inverness (£22.50 return on the day).

I cannot find the web site for buying tickets in advance - followed various links and I still can't find the right routes.

Can anyone please help me understand how to save money using the buses? (pathetic huh?)

The train is cheaper, but takes an hour and a half longer and that's quite apart from the recent strikes!

stekar
16-Mar-10, 16:47
Gorden Bennetts!! That's expensive. Can't help you with your query though I'm afraid, but sure some other orger will.

Venture
16-Mar-10, 16:58
http://www.citylink.co.uk/journeyplanner.php

Easy to do and cheaper to buy in advance.:)

Hoida
16-Mar-10, 17:46
Our son always buys his tickets on line Edinburgh to Thurso if he books well in advance can get to Inverness for anything From £1-£5 then up to Thurso can be about £16 or more The state of some of the buses they should be paying people for travelling on them!!:roll:

cuddlepop
16-Mar-10, 17:58
If you click onto the citylink website and put in dailyoffer you'll get your ticket for a £5 up until the 31st of March.:D

purplelady
16-Mar-10, 23:00
If you click onto the citylink website and put in dailyoffer you'll get your ticket for a £5 up until the 31st of March.:D
you beat me too it cuddlepop hehehe you can get some real good saying if you book ahead on megabus to x

doyle
18-Mar-10, 00:35
I have been trying to book tickets online but it keeps coming up that journey planner cannot find anything for this route?? (Castletown-Inverness)

Venture
18-Mar-10, 00:48
You're right I tried it out and it won't give Castletown. Maybe the buses only run via Halkirk? You'd best check it out by telephone.

badger
18-Mar-10, 13:02
Some buses go via Halkirk but most go via Castletown and Wick. Try putting in Thurso as that will give you both and I don't suppose makes much difference to the fare.
Edit - just tried it on the Citylink website. It found Castletown to Inverness, no problem. Don't bother with Stagecoach website, it's hopeless.

doyle
18-Mar-10, 19:58
It was the citylink website i was on and i also put in Thurso but no joy? [disgust]

golach
18-Mar-10, 20:11
It was the citylink website i was on and i also put in Thurso but no joy? [disgust]
I can book from Edinburgh to Thurso & Castletown no problem on CityLink

doyle
18-Mar-10, 20:14
I'll try again - must be doing sumthin wrong! :o

golach
18-Mar-10, 20:18
I'll try again - must be doing sumthin wrong! :o

change the date doyle, only a suggestion

booked myself from Castletown Drill hall to Thurso Rail Station on Sat 20th with no problem

doyle
18-Mar-10, 20:48
Got it at last! Told u I must be doin sumthin wrong! Bin choosing strothers lane instead of bus station - duh! For some reason I thought the bus station was in strothers lane - didn't notice option for bus station! :o :o