PDA

View Full Version : Work Permits

rfr10
20-May-06, 21:06
Can anyone tell me where to get a work permit from if I'm still at school? Do I get it from the school and how long does it take to get one? If I'm applying to work at the Edinburgh Woolen Mill, will I not be able to work until I get one?

footie chick
20-May-06, 21:11
When I was 15 longish time ago didnt apply for any permit just picked up the money at the end of the week {Bliss} didnt think it applied to residents of this country?

Billy Boy
20-May-06, 21:21
surely your guidence teacher at school would be able to advise you about this:confused

rfr10
20-May-06, 21:26
I'm going to ask her on Monday but I was told that if I get one from the school, I would have to fill out an application, get it sent to the Rhind House then get it signed by the employer and then by that time it will be 2 weeks and if I'm applying for a job, I don't want to wait that long to send my work application off because the person on the phone said she needs the application ASAP.

footie chick
20-May-06, 21:27
Couldnt you get it signed at school and take it to Rhind house{isnt it just along the street} say that your in a rush and ask to get it signed asap?

rfr10
20-May-06, 21:30
I was hoping to get my application sent off for Tuesday. Not sure when the EWM will be opening but I don't think it will be that long. They probably wont be able to issue with a work permit straight away will they?

footie chick
20-May-06, 21:33
Im sure if you explain the situation they should be more than willing to take on someone who has shown as much initiative in finding out about these things!

pulteney person
21-May-06, 14:03
Why do you need a work permit?
If you are 16 you will have a National Insurance number and you will be able to work even though you are still at school.
I know lots of school age people who work but who didn't fill in work permits.

I think you have to get a permit if you are working and are under the age of 16 but don't the large stores only recruit people who are 16 and above?

rfr10
21-May-06, 14:46
I'm only 15 and I need a work permit to work under 16 years old.