PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions of Wick

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 21:12
What must visitors think when they drive into Wick on the A99, then (after having their fillings rattled loose by the appalling road) pull up at Dunnett's Garage to be confronted with rip-off prices for fuel and a showroom that collapsed over a year ago?
Dunnett's: you've had years of easy profits from bumping up the prices of fuel in Caithness. Isn't it about time you made an effort and sorted out your showroom?
Who owns Dunnett's anyway? Is it someone local?

ducati
15-Mar-10, 21:37
What must visitors think when they drive into Wick on the A99, then (after having their fillings rattled loose by the appalling road) pull up at Dunnett's Garage to be confronted with rip-off prices for fuel and a showroom that collapsed over a year ago?
Dunnett's: you've had years of easy profits from bumping up the prices of fuel in Caithness. Isn't it about time you made an effort and sorted out your showroom?
Who owns Dunnett's anyway? Is it someone local?

The Dunnet Family?

"Established in 1899, Dunnets has been an authorised Ford Dealer since 1919, making it one of the longest established independent Ford dealers in the UK".

I agree, showroom is an eyesore.

Angel
15-Mar-10, 22:06
I believe the showroom is a mess and I mentioned to the lady behind the counter after filling up there... She said there is some dispute with the insurance company and they are to leave it as it is so as not to jepodise any claim. I suggested at least blank the windows... "We are not allowed to touch it" came the reply...
This was some months ago when the fuel price was exactly the same as Tesco's...

Angel...

Rictina
15-Mar-10, 22:09
I have never ever been to Wick, how bad is that ???

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 22:13
The Dunnet Family?

"Established in 1899, Dunnets has been an authorised Ford Dealer since 1919, making it one of the longest established independent Ford dealers in the UK".
Does it deserve to continue as such?
Insurance claim dispute?? Heard of that before in Wick :eek:
And what about the fuel prices in Thurso, why are they so different from Wick?

overthewallandfaraway
15-Mar-10, 22:13

Exchange bad for lucky........:Razz

brandy
15-Mar-10, 22:17
it seems it would be a saftey hazzard and something would have to be done with it. im surprised the council hasnt said something yet. exspecially with health and saftey they way they are. is there any signs up to warn people off, and thing showing the danger? i still dont know why but the old video shop even has tape and barriers around it.

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 22:21
If Dunnett's cared anything for their image, Ford's image or the County's image they would have sorted it out. Thay haven't, for about a year, which says to me they don't care, they just want the money. I bet whoever takes the cash from the company doesn't even live here.
I might write to Ford to point out that their brand is being compromised. A garage that actually gives a damn might get the franchise then.

neepnipper
15-Mar-10, 22:34
Didn't they lose the Ford dealership?

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 22:38
Didn't they lose the Ford dealership?
That'll be why the building collapsed, the Ford sign was the only thing holding it up!
It'll be a sad day when Dunnett's disappears, all those years providing top class service to the community. Then Tesco appeared and they rolled over.

chiel
15-Mar-10, 22:41
i think you'l find dunnets wick isnt a ford dealer,dunnets thurso is a ford dealer, i dont know if wick ever was a ford dealer,the signage that was taken down last year wasnt because they lost the ford dealership in wick,in wsnt a ford dealer in the fisrt place,which is why ford told wick to take the ford branding signage down

Amy-Winehouse
15-Mar-10, 22:43
Can I just say something, for sure, What actually happened to the roof on Dunnets Garage? I noticed it one day in maybe January? I thought oops :eek:
Did they have any cars damaged when the roof caved in?

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 22:48
Apparently they got the cars out just in time...:eek:

im behind you
15-Mar-10, 23:21
i think you'l find dunnets wick isnt a ford dealer,dunnets thurso is a ford dealer, i dont know if wick ever was a ford dealer,the signage that was taken down last year wasnt because they lost the ford dealership in wick,in wsnt a ford dealer in the fisrt place,which is why ford told wick to take the ford branding signage down
wick was not a ford dealer. but it was not ford who told them take the sign down. if roumers where true there was a certain little chap (could think of other words to use) that went out his way to make such a stink about it and was not happy untill the sign was down.

Rictina
15-Mar-10, 23:23

Ha ha, I want to go now [lol]

Tubthumper
15-Mar-10, 23:30
wick was not a ford dealer. but it was not ford who told them take the sign down. if roumers where true there was a certain little chap (could think of other words to use) that went out his way to make such a stink about it and was not happy untill the sign was down.
Eh? What were they doing with a Ford sign up in that case? And what little chap, except a duly appointed representative of Fords, has the authority to demand the removal of such?
Something fishy going on here, methinks?

Kevin Milkins
16-Mar-10, 00:38
They say you only get one chance to make a first impression, and my first impression was "it's a bit flat and not many trees".

That was four years ago and I had a preconceived idea that all places in the North of Scotland consisted of high mountains and lots of forestry.

Dunnets garage is certainly not a good thing to have next to the traffic lights and Bridge Street can be an eyesore if you drive through late at night with an abundance of litter from the fast food outlets spewing onto the street, but the place certainly grows on you.

luskentyre
16-Mar-10, 00:45

Well, after living in Thurso for 20 years and now living halfway between Wick and Thurso - Wick is my first choice, every time.

Tubthumper
16-Mar-10, 00:57
Well, after living in Thurso for 20 years and now living halfway between Wick and Thurso - Wick is my first choice, every time.
But not to buy a Ford...

sandyr1
16-Mar-10, 02:54
Called CTV in Toronto one day years ago and asked for the Senior Writer of the News....A man came on and said 'George Mackenzie here'. I ranted a bit at him for messing up a News Story and he said...Are Yee A Durty Weeker??
Nearly fell of my chair...He was originally from Strathhalladale and I think lived in Reiss until moving to Canada....We did hae a Drammy or two!

Wick is Wick, and we should just accept it as a fishing Town. There is good and bad. My beef was with John O Groats and the Hotel!

stewart4364
16-Mar-10, 08:28
Dunnets garage in Thurso and maybe Wick was/still owned by A & D Sutherland or their family. They used to have a contracting and plumbing business in Princes Street, Thurso and also a quarry at Spittal. The same family also had Wick connections and may have had a business there. At one time the family owned the Northern Sands hotel in Dunnet and one of the family now has the Pentland Hotel in Thurso. I also believe that one of the family did motor rally racing and Ronnie played professional football.

sunshine23
16-Mar-10, 08:49
I am more concerned about the game that the petrol stations were playing called, "Guess my price". The only place at one point that was displaying their petrol prices was Tesco, other garages, you had to guess.

stekar
16-Mar-10, 17:15
I am more concerned about the game that the petrol stations were playing called, "Guess my price". The only place at one point that was displaying their petrol prices was Tesco, other garages, you had to guess.

And some wonder why people frequent Tesco..... At least the petrol prices have dropped slightly since they arrived, though still more than Inversnecky.....

Leanne
16-Mar-10, 17:18
I moved 488 miles to settle here - it is actually quite a nice place to live when you compare it to other places in the country :)

Edit - I chose Wick over Oban too :)

northener
16-Mar-10, 17:20
I moved 488 miles to settle here - it is actually quite a nice place to live when you compare it to other places in the country :)

Edit - I chose Wick over Oban too :)

Absolutely, I can think of a lot of places in the Uk that are a damn sight worse. At least you can walk the streets at night without constantly looking over your shoulder.

ducati
16-Mar-10, 17:33
Absolutely, I can think of a lot of places in the Uk that are a damn sight worse. At least you can walk the streets at night without constantly looking over your shoulder.

Absolutely, I don't live in Wick, more rural Caithness. But I have worked in Wick and find the people and atmosphere friendly. I moved to Caithness to get away from the world because it is southbound in an appendage receptacle. Then I found the org and the world caught me up again. Ho Hum.

Northener, you would be well advised to look frequently over your shoulder :eek:

The mods you know :Razz

cuddlepop
16-Mar-10, 18:01
First impressions were..."whose nicked all the trees...

When we got out the car in Wick and went shopping I thought the locals were just as friendly as the glaswegians ,just talked funnier.;)

Leanne
16-Mar-10, 18:13
First impressions were..."whose nicked all the trees...

Ha ha yeah! Followed by "Where are all the hills?"

Tubthumper
16-Mar-10, 18:15
What do youse think of the collapsed showroom? What would have happened if it had been in Glasgow, Birmingham or London?

egregory
16-Mar-10, 18:19
I was told by the girl in there it was an insurance claim, she said good job they had removed all the cars before roof fell in !!!!!!!

ducati
16-Mar-10, 18:26
What do youse think of the collapsed showroom? What would have happened if it had been in Glasgow, Birmingham or London?

It would have been collapsed, set fire to, blown up, nicked and turned into a crack house [lol]

ducati
16-Mar-10, 21:22
It would have been collapsed, set fire to, blown up, nicked and turned into a crack house [lol]

And if it was in Liverpool, resprayed and sold to General Motors :eek:

Phill
16-Mar-10, 22:14
.......At least you can walk the streets at night without constantly looking over your shoulder.

'cept fer crazy loon cab drivers, come at you from all directions!

Even in the recession there would have bin' a block of "studio" of "loft" apartments on there by now. (That's estate agent speak fer box wiv a mat in the corner fer yer bedroom n' campingaz stove for the "open & airy kitchen")

I was told by the girl in there it was an insurance claim, she said good job they had removed all the cars before roof fell in !!!!!!!

Bloody amateurs, what you do is get some older cars and swap the plates, 'cos the assessor won't be a motor engineer, more likely a building surveyor.
However he'll take some dicky photies with an old digi camra and it'll look good in the report. Then you claim on the accidental damage portion of your policy for the cars and the buildings portion for rebuild.
The cars will be written off naturally 'cos they'll be beyond economic repair and you buy them back fer pennies.
Hey presto you rebuild and put up loft apartments and sell the cars you bin' paid out on fer a premium cos they will be "as new".

Not that I know about dodgy insurance claims....................

annthracks
17-Mar-10, 00:42
And what about the fuel prices in Thurso, why are they so different from Wick?

Thurso doesn't have a large supermarket fuel station...

.D.
17-Mar-10, 13:26
Wick certainly put the wick in wicked...

Never have I been in a town that's so black, dull, dirty, smelly & "cleeky". I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there. Thurso is a far nicer town, with far nicer people.

The property prices are cheap for a reason you know...:eek:

northener
17-Mar-10, 13:48
.....Never have I been in a town that's so black, dull, dirty, smelly & "cleeky". .......

Try travelling further South than the Highlands then. It may open your eyes somewhat.:Razz

And welcome to the .Org!

.D.
17-Mar-10, 13:57
Try travelling further South than the Highlands then. It may open your eyes somewhat.:Razz

And welcome to the .Org!

Haha... I've lived all over the country tbh... God built hell, then he built Wick [lol]

Thank you... I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun here ;)

northener
17-Mar-10, 14:54
Haha... I've lived all over the country tbh... God built hell, then he built Wick [lol]

Thank you... I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun here ;)

What was it RL Stevenson said?

"It was the meanest of towns situated upon the baldest of bays"....:Razz

ducati
17-Mar-10, 22:05

Ah what did he know? I like Wick, the Harbour is great, Old Poultney is very atmospheric. Great museum run by extraordinary people, the Silver Darlings Lap Dancing Club, French Restaurant, I could go on...:)

jimbews
17-Mar-10, 22:12

Anything to do with making a complete mess of the design of the breakwater?

Kirdon
17-Mar-10, 22:27

Aye I heard he couldn't keep it up. Poor chap.

upolian
18-Mar-10, 09:43
What is happening to the showroom?is it going to be fixed any time soon...its the cars covered in bird poo they are selling,little do they realise bird poo has acidics in it capable of eating the clear coat and destroying the paint...

ducati
18-Mar-10, 10:29
What is happening to the showroom?is it going to be fixed any time soon...its the cars covered in bird poo they are selling,little do they realise bird poo has acidics in it capable of eating the clear coat and destroying the paint...

Sounds like a job for.......:lol:

porshiepoo
18-Mar-10, 11:55
First impressions of Wick??????

Not too good I'm afraid. I'll always remember our very first visit 10 odd years ago. We decided to go to town (yep, we called it that back when we didn't know better), had a lunch at Micklejohns then headed for the high street.
When we couldn't find it we stopped and asked someone and they pointed out that we'd just walked through it! :eek:
We were utterly gobsmacked. It gave us a giggle mind.

10 years on and nothings changed except either end of Wick has a few new shops.
The town is disgraceful and I don't mean that in a dirty way as it's quite pretty with all the flowers. I mean the lack of shops and all the empty buildings.
Surely the council can come up with some ingenious plan to encourage use of those buildings?
At the moment Wick town area is for those that want an envious choice of Chinese or Indian dinners.

As for the drive into Wick, where do I start??
The potholes set you up for the rest of the state of the place.
It's a shame as there are some lovely looking buildings but that showroom is just an eyesore.

northener
18-Mar-10, 17:20

Was that RL? I thought it was another member of the family?:confused

mike.mckenzie
18-Mar-10, 20:49
Haha, have you tried the Chinese that took over the Cabrelli's building? Its the worst restaurant i have ever had the misfortune to eat in, both for a sit in and a take away. Came back up a couple of years ago and was assured that the owner's had changed and it was better. No. It was worse. They put gravy on boiled rice! Gravy! On boiled rice!

Leanne
18-Mar-10, 21:28
They put gravy on boiled rice! Gravy! On boiled rice!

I ate out back home and the chicken with creamy mustard sauce was serve with CUSTARD. And the jam roly poly I assume was served with mustard eeek

Edit - the chicken was actually bizarrely nice!!

Tubthumper
18-Mar-10, 21:31
I actually like Wick, but I have to admit the approach from the South isn't great. I can't understand why a supposedly company that makes so much from selling fuel at inflated prices (in Thurso at least!) can't sort out their showroom. Insurance claim or no, what does it say about them?

Stack Rock
18-Mar-10, 22:11
First impressions of Wick??????

Not too good I'm afraid. I'll always remember our very first visit 10 odd years ago. We decided to go to town (yep, we called it that back when we didn't know better), had a lunch at Micklejohns then headed for the high street.
When we couldn't find it we stopped and asked someone and they pointed out that we'd just walked through it! :eek:
We were utterly gobsmacked. It gave us a giggle mind.

The town is disgraceful and I don't mean that in a dirty way as it's quite pretty with all the flowers. I mean the lack of shops and all the empty buildings.
Surely the council can come up with some ingenious plan to encourage use of those buildings?
At the moment Wick town area is for those that want an envious choice of Chinese or Indian dinners.

It's a shame as there are some lovely looking buildings but that showroom is just an eyesore.

BUT - you're still here !!! Why if it so bad?

Blarney
18-Mar-10, 23:46
Wick certainly put the wick in wicked...

Never have I been in a town that's so black, dull, dirty, smelly & "cleeky". I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there. Thurso is a far nicer town, with far nicer people.

The property prices are cheap for a reason you know...:eek:
Wickers are generally good judges of character who don't suffer fools gladly. Perhaps they rumbled you and your haughty opinions early on. Thurso is full of folk who didn't make the grade to put down their roots in the county town.[lol]

porshiepoo
19-Mar-10, 07:37
BUT - you're still here !!! Why if it so bad?

I don't live in Wick. Nor would I ever want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tubthumper
19-Mar-10, 10:42
...who don't suffer fools gladly.
I reckon there's as many fools in Wick as there are in any similar town.
Don't lets turn this into a slagging match on Wick. It's about that scabby showroom and what it says about the town.

LMS
19-Mar-10, 10:52
I reckon there's as many fools in Wick as there are in any similar town.
Don't lets turn this into a slagging match on Wick. It's about that scabby showroom and what it says about the town.

I think Blarney was defending the town after the catty comments from .D. and Porshiepoo.

LMS
19-Mar-10, 10:54
I actually like Wick, but I have to admit the approach from the South isn't great. I can't understand why a supposedly company that makes so much from selling fuel at inflated prices (in Thurso at least!) can't sort out their showroom. Insurance claim or no, what does it say about them?

If you wrote your car off or burnt down your house, would you sort it out before the insurance company had finished their investigations - I think not! Yep, I fully agree that they have held Caithness to ransom for fuel for many years, but they have to follow due procedure the same as you or me.

Tubthumper
19-Mar-10, 11:00
Fair point about the car insurance, however it's been lying like that for an awful long time.
The last such insurance-based problem episode I can think of is the Domino's one. At least there the owners have put a hoarding up, planted some trees and painted the remains recently. They're also going to build a night-club complex with bowling which will be good for the County.

ducati
19-Mar-10, 11:10
Fair point about the car insurance, however it's been lying like that for an awful long time.
The last such insurance-based problem episode I can think of is the Domino's one. At least there the owners have put a hoarding up, planted some trees and painted the remains recently. They're also going to build a night-club complex with bowling which will be good for the County.

Yeah right, the sign about that has been up for more than 2 years :Razz

Bobinovich
19-Mar-10, 11:21
...They're also going to build a night-club complex with bowling which will be good for the County.

...and not a touch of sarcasm there whatsoever :Razz

EDIT: Ach ye beat me to it Ducati lol

jimbews
19-Mar-10, 11:47
Was that RL? I thought it was another member of the family?:confused
It was the father, but it was while that was being built that RLS stayed in Wick.
There is an older link with links to more in depth comments by RLS:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=67276

.D.
19-Mar-10, 12:04
Wickers are generally good judges of character who don't suffer fools gladly. Perhaps they rumbled you and your haughty opinions early on. Thurso is full of folk who didn't make the grade to put down their roots in the county town

If this is the case, then why do BUS LOADS of Wickers come through to Thurso EVERY weekend? Even Wickers quite openly admit that Wick is a dump! I know this as a lot of my friends are from Wick & they can't wait to get out of the place.

Even David Walliams refused to cycle through Wick after his stay in the town! :eek: haha. But anyways, I really could go on, but I'm going out for lunch in my native Thurso :) Sooooooo many places to choose from, how many choices are there in Weik?

& btw - it's "catty" when an individual doesn't reply to a PM...[evil]

jimbews
19-Mar-10, 13:03

As someone who was brought up in Wick and has only visited a handful of times in the last 45 years:
My wife and I had a fleeting visit to Wick a week or so ago and thought it actually looked better than before.
If the garage you are complaining about is the one at the junction of Francis Street and Dempster Street: we did look at this while driving past (as the site of the West Church) and didn't notice anything. I doubt that other tourists would be interested in the state of a car showroom in any case.
Had a nice stroll from the riverside car park out past the Trinkie: now that's most likely what tourists want. There's a few nice walks in Caithness shown in Walk Highlands:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/caithness.shtml

As for the potholes: it's the same everywhere.
If you really want to see potholes have a trip to south-west Ireland like I did last month. I'm glad we were in a hire car and not our own.

And the Wick-Thurso slagging match: it was the same when I was a kid. "But then I became a man and put away childish things".
It does more harm to all of Caithness than any run-down car showroom!

Tubthumper
19-Mar-10, 13:23
Wick's not a bad place. On a summer day, it's really nice. And there are buffoons and clowns in Thurso as well. Also that horrible eyesore at the corner over from the Pentland.

Kevin Milkins
19-Mar-10, 13:57
I'm going out for lunch in my native Thurso :) Sooooooo many places to choose from, how many choices are there in Weik?

There's a very nice Wetherspoons in Wick that serves delicious food and drink at a very reasonable price.;)

.D.
19-Mar-10, 14:06
There's a very nice Wetherspoons in Wick that serves delicious food and drink at a very reasonable price.;)

Yes, there is a Wetherspoon in Wick & yes, it's reasonably priced. But I like fresh food, not food that's cooked, frozen, & then taken out as & when ordered.

Tubthumper
19-Mar-10, 14:09
Yes, there is a Wetherspoon in Wick & yes, it's reasonably priced. But I like fresh food, not food that's cooked, frozen, & then taken out as & when ordered.
Err, I think you'll find that many of the establishments in Thurso do precisely that. But that's OK if it's good grub, properly cooked and looked after.

.D.
19-Mar-10, 14:12
Err, I think you'll find that many of the establishments in Thurso do precisely that.

Maybe many do, but certainly not all of them

shazzap
19-Mar-10, 14:15
Mines bigger than yours. NANANANANA.:roll:

shazzap
19-Mar-10, 14:17
Oh and while i'm at it my cats blacker than yours.
It isn't really as i don't have a cat, but if i did it would be.;)

Tubthumper
19-Mar-10, 14:24
Mines bigger than yours. NANANANANA.:roll:
How do you know, have you seen it?? :eek:

shazzap
19-Mar-10, 14:29
How do you know, have you seen it?? :eek:

No and i don't want to thank you very much.:lol:

ducati
19-Mar-10, 14:54
Maybe many do, but certainly not all of them

Positive convoy of Brake's Brothers trucks heading to Thurso on a Tuesday morning:roll:

Tubthumper
19-Mar-10, 15:05
Should we engage? Is the target hot? Are weapons clear?

riggerboy
19-Mar-10, 15:15
my first impression of wick is pretty much the same as my last impression of thurso

what a flippen dump

trix
23-May-10, 14:54
am laffin ma ass off ifanow....

it strikes me as really funny that a few derogatary remarks aboot weik comes fie a person that wanted til BUY a hoose in weik, got cast OOT o' weik (a bit lek 'e fallen angel) an now isna ALLOWED in weik...by LAW...an (cough) also a few hard nut(er)s!! ;)

cliquie we mite be, aye....but we da take crap fie any ootside, bullcrappin incommer [lol]

'oh....i do lek til be beside 'e seaside' laa lala laa

DeHaviLand
23-May-10, 14:59

it strikes me as really funny that a few derogatary remarks aboot weik comes fie a person that wanted til BUY a hoose in weik, got cast OOT o' weik (a bit lek 'e fallen angel) an now isna ALLOWED in weik...by LAW...an (cough) also a few hard nut(er)s!! ;)

cliquie we mite be, aye....but we da take crap fie any ootside, bullcrappin incommer [lol]

Well said lass, and it strikes me as odd that he's allowed to be back posting on here after being banned once already. Still, nae laptops in a 8'x6' room.

floyed
23-May-10, 15:09

Well said Trix:D

Venture
23-May-10, 15:14

it strikes me as really funny that a few derogatary remarks aboot weik comes fie a person that wanted til BUY a hoose in weik, got cast OOT o' weik (a bit lek 'e fallen angel) an now isna ALLOWED in weik...by LAW...an (cough) also a few hard nut(er)s!!

Sock it to him trix, the harder the better.[disgust]
The rest of the clique are right behind you.;)

miranda
23-May-10, 18:07

well said trix..!! us friendly weeker's like to stick together .
least you know who your pals are ..keep the enemy oot!!

Tubthumper
24-May-10, 12:41
I think I might have missed something cool here.
What's going on?
Who's been kicked oot o' week?
Why is there a clique which I'm not part of?
I demand to know!:cool:

ducati
24-May-10, 12:44
Clique? Clique? What? Where?