PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Internet Browsers

mrsmo
15-Mar-10, 16:56
Why do I have 2 Internet Explorer browsers, a 32 bit and a 64 bit on my shiny new laptop??:eek:
And has anyone any comments on Google Chrome browser??

Niall Fernie
15-Mar-10, 19:55
I'd imagine you have 2 versions of IE incase you run 7 in 32 bit mode or XP mode, or incase you find you have compatibilty problems with plugins when running in 64 bit mode. The 64 bit version should be a little snappier when running with lots of tabs but other then that I can't imagine there will be much of a noticeable difference.

Chrome is ok, quick enough but not really that much different to IE or Firefox other than it is really lightweight. Of course it adds its own version of "standards" to the browser mix and shows up problems on any non strict HTML/script coding on the web (see the .org front page as an example)

I've currently got all the browsers installed that are suggested by the EU forced "choose your own browser adventure" page that was in the recent windows update but I'm not really so taken with any of them that I would pick one as an outstanding winner. I suppose its down to what you expect your browser to be able to do and if all you want to do is browse the web they can all do that as well as each other although IE and Firefox can be a little more forgiving on sloppy web pages like the old pages on Caithness.Org.

Still, all this choice which is being presented to users in Europe has got me back to working on some sections of the site that I can quickly bring up to strict coding standards. The What's On should be finished soon, the forum already works with all browsers and I'm pretty sure the Business Index does as well, although I will be revising some of the code soon. As I get time I should be getting round the rest of the site and by that time they'll probably have introduced a whole new batch of browsers and standards, good fun to be had by all :roll: