PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

sjwahwah
20-May-06, 19:25
Driving around Caithness you see some people have quite a collection of tyres. How could one go about getting their own collection of several hundred used tyres for an outbuilding project for free or for delivery costs only? Council? Anybody wanting rid of their "collection"?

EDDIE
20-May-06, 23:43
If you ask any garage for there used tyres they will gladly give it to you because the garages have to pay an environment charge to dispose of tyres and the price varies depending on how much tyres they have

angela5
20-May-06, 23:59
If you ask any garage for there used tyres they will gladly give it to you because the garages have to pay an environment charge to dispose of tyres and the price varies depending on how much tyres they have

Caithness Tyre's i think there called in george street, charge the customer £1 per tyre if you leave your old tyres with them.

JAWS
21-May-06, 00:28
Caithness Tyre's i think there called in george street, charge the customer £1 per tyre if you leave your old tyres with them.
I think that's a fairly standard price. It's just another hidden tax grabbing scam invented by politicians to convince you they are "Saving the Planet" by taxing you more. .

changilass
21-May-06, 00:52
I always take mine and use them as planters in the garden, looks good and doing my bit for recycling

highlander2222
21-May-06, 06:07
Driving around Caithness you see some people have quite a collection of tyres. How could one go about getting their own collection of several hundred used tyres for an outbuilding project for free or for delivery costs only? Council? Anybody wanting rid of their "collection"?

Ask for Patty at caithness tyres he will give u all u need free

Chobbersjnr
21-May-06, 15:04
a friend of mine got trazillions from what used to be Motorway tyres in Thurso for nuttin'

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 15:18
brilliant! thanks for all the good advice!

Lucy
21-May-06, 20:36
The recycling centre in wick has a large cage full of them. you could offer to take them off their hands and save them a bit of work. not sure of the regulations on this but worth a try.

JimH
21-May-06, 21:33
I think you will find that most of them are on farms - they use them to weight down the covers on the silage heaps, and they help push the air out.

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 22:52
Also excellent and cheap to build with! Thanks for all the leads guys & gals!

ice box
21-May-06, 22:57
Also excellent and cheap to build with! Thanks for all the leads guys & gals!
What are you building with all these tyres ?

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 23:10
small passive solar animal shelter with a potable roof for constant supply of fresh rainwater for the animals.

north, west and east walls all tyres packed with earth with a cob (mudwall) facing with recycled windows & stable door on the south side to let the sun in. bermed up north wall for added thermal mass then earthen render around the tyres for aesthetics & solar leccy lights.

I call it a horseship! lol and hopefully I'll do it for under £300!

melted_wellie
21-May-06, 23:12
small passive solar animal shelter with a potable roof for constant supply of fresh rainwater for the animals.

north, west and east walls all tyres packed with earth with a cob (mudwall) facing with recycled windows & stable door on the south side to let the sun in. bermed up north wall for added thermal mass then earthen render around the tyres for aesthetics & solar leccy lights.

I call it a horseship! lol and hopefully I'll do it for under £300!rough translation........."my car failed its mot,it has 4 bald tyres and cant afford new ones,theres bound to be some legal ones amongst that lot".

sjwahwah
21-May-06, 23:15
rough translation........."my car failed its mot,it has 4 bald tyres and cant afford new ones,theres bound to be some legal ones amongst that lot".

busted!..................

landmarker
22-May-06, 18:38
In the early seventies I worked in the tyre trade - Office Manager, but as I was the only one in the office I didn't get too self-inflated with my job title.

I'd earlier driven the firms van, picking up tyres for vulcanising. It was an old split -creen VW pick up 'E' reg 1967 vintage - worth a bomb now but I digress.

I'd occasionally go to a huge quarry the other side of Rochdale, in the Pennine foothills. It was where the majority of tyre distributors dumped their old 'casings' tech speak for tyres. I'd park on the edge of a huge drop and just roll the tyres - all sizes from Earthmovers to Minis over the edge. Thinking back it was quite an incredibly unecological way to dispose of 'em. We paid the council for the privilege but there were literally millions of old tyres down there. If ever it caught fire it would burn for months or even years.
I dunno what the industry does today but given the explosion in the number of cars on the road since the seventies it must be a real problem.