PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent modding?

northener
15-Mar-10, 07:52
I had a thread moved to the 'Films' section yesterday. OK, it's a link to a film so no real problems there.

Would anyone care to explain why there's a thread about Footie and a thread about F1 in the General Forum that haven't been moved to the sports forum?

A bit of consistency in modding would be a good idea.......

Yours,

Disgusted
Tunbridge Wells.

ducati
15-Mar-10, 08:12
I had a thread moved to the 'Films' section yesterday. OK, it's a link to a film so no real problems there.

Would anyone care to explain why there's a thread about Footie and a thread about F1 in the General Forum that haven't been moved to the sports forum?

Yours,

Disgusted
Tunbridge Wells.

I can't believe it! It’s happened to you too? My Brain surgery thread was moved to Jokes and Humour. That is just outrageous . It should have been moved to hobbies!

joxville
15-Mar-10, 08:34
Edit It should have been moved to hobbies!
The Recommendations Forum would have been a better place for it, there's some on here who could do with it. :lol:

changilass
15-Mar-10, 10:06
Northener it could have something to do with the description just below the sports heading:-

Discuss Caithness Sport Here. [Threads not relating to sport in Caithness will be removed]

upolian
15-Mar-10, 10:08
Northener it could have something to do with the description just below the sports heading:-

Discuss Caithness Sport Here. [Threads not relating to sport in Caithness will be removed]

^^^ i guess thats why....

golach
15-Mar-10, 10:33
Dear Disgusted of Turnbridge Wells,
I think you will find it was moved to the Music Forum not the Film Forum :D

If you see inconsistencies in the standard of the Mods, I would suggest you volunteer to be one :D I certainly would not like to be one, Mods are damned if they do and damned if they dont.
Yours
Frustrated
Morningside

Yours,

Disgusted
Tunbridge Wells.

Angela
15-Mar-10, 10:50
It must be hard sometimes to know where the best place is for a post. Years ago I worked in a library cataloging books and had to decide which section was the correct/best/most sensible one to put each volume in.

Should 'Dentistry for Dogs' go in 'animals', sub -category 'dogs', or in 'medicine', sub section 'dentistry'? Or maybe it should be in the humorous or cartoon section? :confused

Or would 'Carol Singing for Cats' fit more appropriately in 'music', sub- section 'carols' or in the feline category ('animals', sub-section 'cats')......or again was it humour? :confused

The key thing was where would a borrower expect to find it in these far off days when you couldn't look it up on the computerised catalogue.

I guess it's similar for a post on the forum.

Yours,

Bemused of Inverleith :roll:

ducati
15-Mar-10, 10:58
It must be hard sometimes to know where the best place is for a post. Years ago I worked in a library cataloging books and had to decide which section was the correct/best/most sensible one to put each volume in.

Should 'Dentistry for Dogs' go in 'animals', sub -category 'dogs', or in 'medicine', sub section 'dentistry'? Or maybe it should be in the humorous or cartoon section? :confused

Or would 'Carol Singing for Cats' fit more appropriately in 'music', sub- section 'carols' or in the feline category ('animals', sub-section 'cats')......or again was it humour? :confused

The key thing was where would a borrower expect to find it in these far off days when you couldn't look it up on the computerised catalogue.

Yours,

Dear Bemused,

I catalogue all my books by size and colour, much more appealing.

Yours,

Barking of Barchester

Angela
15-Mar-10, 11:04
Yours,

Barking of Barchester

Now where would you fit in I wonder.....?
Barking Mad (psychiatry section)
Barking up the Wrong Tree (Horticulture)
........ or just plain Barking (dogs again perchance)? [lol];)

Niall Fernie
15-Mar-10, 11:54
Northerner,

Perhaps its because myself and the mods are not robots.

I (and I'm pretty sure I can say this for the mods) do not read every thread, every day. We rely on the "reported posts" system a great deal as that centralises issues that are a genuine problem on the forum and we can deal with them accordingly. Did you perhaps report the fact that the sport threads were still in general? Or was it just the fact that you had a thread moved and you wanted to have a mump about it?

All reports about threads are given due consideration by the admins and mods and we are getting better at responding to users reports explaining any decision made, if its not obvious by the action taken. We get around 20 reports a day, mainly from the classified forums for advert removals and only one or 2 from general. I can't remember the last time anything was reported in the music forum.

As for the sport forum I think that the byline stating it is for Caithness sport only has probably been outgrown by the forum and I'll remove it today with the only topic remaining taboo being the old firm as the bigots are instantly attracted to that topic and can't help themselves from offending lots of people in a short time.

Our forum is still evolving and changes in moderation practices and what is or is not allowed will continue. As we already know, you cannot please all of the people all of the time but we do try.

ducati
15-Mar-10, 12:08
Northerner,

I (and I'm pretty sure I can say this for the mods) do not read every thread, every day. We rely on the "reported posts" system a great deal as that centralises issues that are a genuine problem on the forum and we can deal with them accordingly. Did you perhaps report the fact that the sport threads were still in general? Or was it just the fact that you had a thread moved and you wanted to have a mump about it?

All reports about threads are given due consideration by the admins and mods and we are getting better at responding to users reports explaining any decision made, if its not obvious by the action taken. We get around 20 reports a day, mainly from the classified forums for advert removals and only one or 2 from general. I can't remember the last time anything was reported in the music forum.

As for the sport forum I think that the byline stating it is for Caithness sport only has probably been outgrown by the forum and I'll remove it today with the only topic remaining taboo being the old firm as the bigots are instantly attracted to that topic and can't help themselves from offending lots of people in a short time.

Our forum is still evolving and changes in moderation practices and what is or is not allowed will continue. As we already know, you cannot please all of the people all of the time but we do try.

What a nice man, See Northener you're an idiot

northener
15-Mar-10, 12:48
Northerner,

Fair comment Niall.

Regarding the 'Sports' forum I'm certainly guilty of not paying attention - I thought it was for all sports, hence my comment.

Having a 'mump'? Nah. Couldn't give a monkeys about where things go, really.

I've only ever 'reported' one thread IIRC, and that was because of a ridiculous squabble that had broken out in the Recommendations section. I couldn't see the point in cluttering up the Mods' inbox with another 'report'.
And not only that it's nice to poke a stick down the Mods' burrow and give it a good rattle now and again.....you never know what might come scuttling out.....;):Razz

northener
15-Mar-10, 12:52
Dear Disgusted of Turnbridge Wells,
I think you will find it was moved to the Music Forum not the Film Forum :D

If you see inconsistencies in the standard of the Mods, I would suggest you volunteer to be one :D I certainly would not like to be one, Mods are damned if they do and damned if they dont.
Yours
Frustrated
Morningside

Dear Frustrated of Morningside

There are some people who should not be allowed any authority or power whatsoever.

I am one of those people.

Shut up, nobody else has noticed yet.[para]

ducati
15-Mar-10, 13:18
Shut up, nobody else has noticed yet.[para]

Sorry, I've been sussed so I thought I would "out" someone else in revenge [evil]

Phill
15-Mar-10, 23:17
It's a bloody conspiracy I tell ye.

I bet they are robots, they hide in those windymill things, it'll be like the triffids one day, they'll be scuttling about banning people off the org, deleting threads, and another thing, the price of postage these days, what's all that about........

fred
16-Mar-10, 00:41

Yours,

I had a similar problem with a library book, it wasn't till I got it home that I found out that "How to Love" was actually volume eight of an encyclopaedia.

Frustrated of Milton Keynes

nightowl
16-Mar-10, 00:47
Fred, that's the best laugh I've had all day!

Kevin Milkins
16-Mar-10, 00:47
I had a similar problem with a library book, it wasn't till I got it home that I found out that "How to Love" was actually volume eight of an encyclopaedia.

I could do you good deal on volume one to seven.:roll:

Worn out of Abercwmbucket.

fred
16-Mar-10, 01:02
Fred, that's the best laugh I've had all day!

Shhhh...don't laugh or the mods will move us.

horseman
16-Mar-10, 05:55
It,s so degeratied, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Lolabelle
16-Mar-10, 07:14
How nice it is to pop into the org and see a good fun thread, where the digs are friendly!
Almost made me want to post something!

Oh I have . . . :p

Cattach
16-Mar-10, 09:23

Thought Northerners post was quite legitimate and that while Fernie gave a reasonable explanation he was a bit grumpy about it but then we are not suppose to question moderators or the like. They do make mistakes too so maybe an admission from time to time would be appropriate.

Angela
16-Mar-10, 12:15

Dear Frustrated,

So sorry to hear of your difficulties accessing the volume you require.

I'd suggest you look in the home hobbies section, possibly the DIY. ;)

Yours,

The Librarian :)