PDA

View Full Version : Bikers Join Ride in Tribute to Wootton Bassett

bekisman
14-Mar-10, 17:04
What a nice thought.. 15,000 bikers - what a beautiful sight that would have been.. (Video on link)

"An estimated 15,000 bikers and pillion passengers congregated at Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire earlier. The first batch of 500 riders left at 1100 GMT to ride to Wootton Basset via the M4 motorway. The event was expected to last until early evening, with bikers leaving the airfield at 30-minute intervals to make their way to Wootton Bassett.

Crowds gathered along Wootton Bassett's High Street to watch the bikers pass the war memorial. Local MP James Gray added that people in the town appreciated the gesture and were "very supportive of it indeed".

Thousands of bikers have been riding through Wootton Bassett to honour the people of the Wiltshire town - and the soldiers killed in Afghanistan. Each rider has paid £5 to take part, with the proceeds going to the charity Afghan Heroes.

Sue Sullivan, from Gloucestershire, is one of those taking part. She said: "We rode at 1130 GMT and I've never seen so many bikes. "I'm one of thousands of people who support our girls and boys." Denise Harris, the founder of Afghan Heroes, said troops on the front line had sent her e-mails backing the event. She told the BBC: "It boosts morale for them. "I mean they just are so grateful to the general public for their support and their kindness."

The Bike Run was the idea of 18-year-old biker Elizabeth Stevens. Ms Stevens, a mechanics student at the Central Bedfordshire College, had only planned to ride through the town with a few friends."Our local bike club was throwing around the idea of a bike run," she said in January, "so I decided to make a Facebook page, and it's just taken off".

Laurence Phillips from Afghan Heroes said the event had gathered pace after being posted on the social networking site Facebook. "It's quite a staggering spectacle and an unbelievable show of support for the troops in Afghanistan and a mark of respect for the town of Wootton Bassett."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8566626.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8566626.stm)

Whitewater
14-Mar-10, 17:29
What a wonderful thing to do. What a tribute to our war heros and the lovely people of that town who always show so much respect for our fallen war victims.

Phill
14-Mar-10, 18:35
Quality.

cherokee
14-Mar-10, 19:31
Absolutely fantastic !!!

You Go Guys :cool:.....

The Drunken Duck
14-Mar-10, 19:34
Fantastic gesture that. Nice to see.

15,000 Bikers getting together through the idea of an 18 year old lass ??, well played to her I say.

Fluff
14-Mar-10, 19:51
My CO at cadets attended that, her and her hubby are bike enthusiasts. I am looking forward to hearing about it tomorrow

northener
15-Mar-10, 08:15
I reckon this rideout had the potential to be even bigger.

There's been a lot of discussion about this on bike forums. Certainly on the one I go on there has anyway - and a suprising number of people said they wouldn't go on it. Not because they disagreed with the reason for the ride, but because they felt they would be 'intruding' on the good people of Wootten Bassett.

Anyway, excellent turnout regardless of what you think and a pile of dosh going where it's needed.

Gronnuck
15-Mar-10, 09:03
I reckon this rideout had the potential to be even bigger.

There's been a lot of discussion about this on bike forums. Certainly on the one I go on there has anyway - and a suprising number of people said they wouldn't go on it. Not because they disagreed with the reason for the ride, but because they felt they would be 'intruding' on the good people of Wootten Bassett.

Anyway, excellent turnout regardless of what you think and a pile of dosh going where it's needed.

This gesture has a particular resonance because it was done on mothering Sunday. To the biker community I’d say it was a magnificent thing to do. Wooton Basset obviously enjoyed the occasion so I hope Bikers will do the same again next year at least until all our boys and girls are home and safe.

northener
15-Mar-10, 20:27
This gesture has a particular resonance because it was done on mothering Sunday. To the biker community I’d say it was a magnificent thing to do. Wooton Basset obviously enjoyed the occasion so I hope Bikers will do the same again next year at least until all our boys and girls are home and safe.

I'd guess that the very positive response from the people who actually live in WB will allay a lot of peoples' fears about intruding upon them (for want of a better expression) and I'm sure those who were reluctant to take part this year for fear of treading on the locals toes will be putting their names down for next year. I know I would if I lived close enough.

And, yes, I was one of those who had reservations about this run.