PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo or not?

reddevil
14-Mar-10, 00:49
i thought i had to share the little shock i heard.my niece,bought a tattoo kit from ebay,she has started tattooing her friends and some family,she has never had a tattoo or has any experience of the tattoo culture,so my shock is that you do not need a license or any qualifications to do this,which i think is very scary regarding health and safety.whats your thoughts on this.

ShelleyCowie
14-Mar-10, 00:53
i thought i had to share the little shock i heard.my niece,bought a tattoo kit from ebay,she has started tattooing her friends and some family,she has never had a tattoo or has any experience of the tattoo culture,so my shock is that you do not need a license or any qualifications to do this,which i think is very scary regarding health and safety.whats your thoughts on this.

Its hard to say, if she is charging for tattoos then yes she needs a license. And im sure at least some tattoo background.

My OH bought his guns and has only tattooed himself and me. You get practice skins also which he trained on for months and months. Also a few little lessons. And i was willing to be a guinea pig for him. No problems from the tattoo

It also has to be done in a "clean room". Kit has to be sterilised after use, even the guns. (sterilisers aint cheap if you have the proper ones)

Its a worrying thing though. Does she have an artistic background at all? :eek:

Invisible
14-Mar-10, 00:55
Is this like real proper tattoo or just fake rub on rub off tattoo's

If its the former then I don't like the idea of that, for instance - after a night of boozing you wake up with a tattoo on your head

reddevil
14-Mar-10, 01:06
thanks for the info,she is not very arty,and im afraid she might be tempted to do it as an income,there are a lot of teens out there that are at that age,i think i will have to speak to her.

reddevil
14-Mar-10, 01:08
its the real stuff,case iron guns,needles,paint,the hole shabang.

ShelleyCowie
14-Mar-10, 01:13
I would maybe have a word for her, she cant be sure she is using genuine tattoo ink. Some of it (especially from ebay) is watered down which causes alot of problems.

If she has tattooed multiple people then there is no way to know she has sterilised correctly leading to infections.

And if somebodys tattoo goes wrong, someone can report her and i do believe there might be a heafty fine involved with her not having a license and charging people if she is.

EDIT - i do also believe insurance is required.

ShelleyCowie
14-Mar-10, 01:19
Ok bit more info - This is what my partner went through aswell to see what it would take to be able to do it from home or a shop

You NEED to have Health and safety inspection, Local authorities authorisation (Council & Police) to work with needles and insurance.

Also a legally binding contract for customers to sign to ensure no liability back to you. But you have to get the 3 above things before your allowed a contract like that.

It cant just be something typed up on a PC.

Hope that helps!

reddevil
14-Mar-10, 01:22
im so glad your online with this info,although she is family i think it is wrong that you can buy these thinks so easy,there is hiv to consider,also as you said,infections from cheap paint,she is not really the cleanest person,two dogs a cat and kids running about,im glad she is down in glasgow and not up here,i would like to add,this is my real first post and i am glad you responded shelleybain,thanks for all the advise lol.

ShelleyCowie
14-Mar-10, 01:26
im so glad your online with this info,although she is family i think it is wrong that you can buy these thinks so easy,there is hiv to consider,also as you said,infections from cheap paint,she is not really the cleanest person,two dogs a cat and kids running about,im glad she is down in glasgow and not up here,i would like to add,this is my real first post and i am glad you responded shelleybain,thanks for all the advise lol.

Its actually a subject i know about lol. Its no bother though. If you need any more information then im here to help. me and my partner looked into it for months so know alot about it.

As i said i let my OH tattoo me. He put my sons name on me. Its the neatest tattoo i have had, no infection problems either because we knew sterilisation and cleanliness were important when doing the tattoo.

If your niece gets caught then i fear the worst for her. Even licensed tattooists get hit hard if something goes wrong.

reddevil
14-Mar-10, 01:34
i suppose in a cruel sort of way,i hope something (not very bad)but bad happens and she gets a fright that may stop her or at least open her eyes to the fact that she should not dabble in things she does'nt know anything about,i have a few tattoos so has my oh,but we have had them for a long time,when we got ours it was a very clean and sterilised place,the things you do when your young eh.

thebigman
14-Mar-10, 02:52
thanks for the info,she is not very arty,and im afraid she might be tempted to do it as an income,there are a lot of teens out there that are at that age,i think i will have to speak to her.

If she's doing it as a business ie charging then she'll need a licence under the Civic Government Act which covers all skin piercing and tattooing.

If she calls 01955 607737 she'll be given appropriate advice.

ducati
14-Mar-10, 05:34
You get practice skins also which he trained on for months and months. :eek:

That has to be the scariest thing I have ever heard :eek:

EDDIE
14-Mar-10, 09:35

Well i dont no about you but if i was getting a tattoo i would get it done by a proffesional
I just hope your niece isnt using peer pressure on her friends so she can have a go at making a tattoo
If anything went wrong i would imagine your niece could get into trouble because if your niece isnt trained or registered and something happened the police could probably prosecute and might view it as bodily harm if it was reporteed to them?

northener
14-Mar-10, 14:51
Truoble is, Eddie, daft kids are daft kids. Sensible ideas very rarely enter their heads in situations like this.You've only to look at how many bodged 'home made' tattoos you see on folk to realise just how some folk will go along with anything because the gadgie doing the tattoo is a 'mate'.

RedDevil, try challenging her to prove she can do it before she goes 'live' as it were. Maybe telling her that if she can't prove she isn't crap, she shouldn't be inflicting her efforts on her friends. And maybe that if she does prove she isn't crap at it, you may offer some support.

Just an idea...good luck, anyway.

bettedaviseyes
14-Mar-10, 14:55
YES she will need a license plus she should really get trained to cos it's not just about tattooing blood poisoning is a BIG issue in tattooing so and so silly girl.

Thumper
14-Mar-10, 15:33
Cant her parents talk to her and tell her whats she is doing isnt safe? x

golach
14-Mar-10, 15:48
YES she will need a license plus she should really get trained to cos it's not just about tattooing blood poisoning is a BIG issue in tattooing so and so silly girl.

And the transfer of hepatitis, even more dangerous than blood poisoning

Fisherbigin
14-Mar-10, 15:52

If this person has not got all the certs. needed(Health and Safety) she could land herself in VERY serious trouble.

Vistravi
14-Mar-10, 16:54
i suppose in a cruel sort of way,i hope something (not very bad)but bad happens and she gets a fright that may stop her or at least open her eyes to the fact that she should not dabble in things she does'nt know anything about,i have a few tattoos so has my oh,but we have had them for a long time,when we got ours it was a very clean and sterilised place,the things you do when your young eh.

Personally I would never allow anyone but a tattoist in a professional tattoo palour do a tattoo on me. For both of my tattoos I researched the tattooists in the areas near me within a hundred miles to find the best one, the cleanest and the most recomended. After my research and having my tattoos done i have had no problems. They weren't exactly cheap but the money was worth it to ensure they were safe and turned out beautiful.

Your niece needs to do her research and find out exactly what she needs to do to ensure she is doing tattoos for people safely. A bad tattoo can scar someone for life.

bettedaviseyes
14-Mar-10, 17:30
And the transfer of hepatitis, even more dangerous than blood poisoning
oh yes very very dangerous good point what some folk will do for money[disgust]

Connor.
14-Mar-10, 18:36
If your daughter is tattooing her friends, be careful because some parents might not be too appreciative.

There is alot of people who have tried their hand at this up here, alot of which haven't a clue what they are doing. The main point to remember is that these things are for life(or with a considerable amount of money) semi-permanent.

Safety and hygeine is probably the biggest priority, everything must be sterilised properly and new needles in packets and only taken out prior to the tattooing.

I would encourage to do a bit of research if she was going to be practicing for a little longer. I know alot of teenagers just want to rush ahead but with something this serious it really goes along way to learn the ins and outs of the whole procedure.

If she's not very arty, maybe send her to an art class or just develop on her freehand drawing skills and things like that. She will take pride in a good tattoo and it won't be a bad thing to encourage into practicing on bits of paper for a while before having a keen eye and an artistic approach at things.

reddevil
14-Mar-10, 20:55
i must tell you that she has three kids,and a husband,dogs and cats,she is about thirty,no brain to talk about,stubborn,and most unapproachable,i told her i was not happy,she laughed,what can you do,her mum does not keep well so thats out,hopefully its a couple of weeks wonder,and may move on.

Vistravi
14-Mar-10, 21:19
i must tell you that she has three kids,and a husband,dogs and cats,she is about thirty,no brain to talk about,stubborn,and most unapproachable,i told her i was not happy,she laughed,what can you do,her mum does not keep well so thats out,hopefully its a couple of weeks wonder,and may move on.

Hopefully it is for her and anyone she tattoos untrained.

Serenity
15-Mar-10, 00:14

Umm why? Surely it is better than practicing on real skin?

Also to OP - I would report her anon if possible. Also are there actually people stupid enough out there to get tattooed by an amateur? I know people will say kids will be kids but neither myself nor anyone I knew at that age would have done that :roll: Aside from all the health risks it would probably look shockingly bad.

ShelleyCowie
15-Mar-10, 00:21

Sorry, should be more specific. Practice skin isnt actually skin. Its just something that resembles skin such as the density and also how ink takes to skin. Its about 1cm thick and you get it in sheets! :Razz

Serenity
15-Mar-10, 00:23
Sorry, should be more specific. Practice skin isnt actually skin. Its just something that resembles skin such as the density and also how ink takes to skin. Its about 1cm thick and you get it in sheets! :Razz

I don't see why you should have apologise. It is quite obvious and also the poster is on the internet. Very easy to check if you mistakenly jump to insane conclusions.

ducati
15-Mar-10, 09:31
I don't see why you should have apologise. It is quite obvious and also the poster is on the internet. Very easy to check if you mistakenly jump to insane conclusions.

I defend my right to the death to jump to insane conclusions :Razz