PDA

View Full Version : Google Street View

Metalattakk
11-Mar-10, 02:05
Now covering 95% of the UK's streets.

What are your views (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=58.591519,-3.459663&spn=0,359.714699&z=12&layer=c&cbll=58.593301,-3.521507&panoid=NIubhRsxtQ4IwLhZKC3lDA&cbp=12,330.68,,0,0.02)?

The wife's car is parked outside the house, and outside her work! [lol]

Edit: Oh, and the first Daily Mail-reader invasion-of-privacy rant wins a banana. ;)

Edit 2: LOL! I don't think I agree with the new name for the St Clair Hotel (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=58.592884,-3.522856&spn=0,359.982169&z=16&layer=c&cbll=58.592967,-3.522752&panoid=ViPQXcqG6mntZqkx19F19A&cbp=12,288.07,,0,-6.53)!

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Mar-10, 02:28
Scary. I'm virtually home.

Cheers for the link, Metalattakk.

sandyr1
11-Mar-10, 02:30
I just checked some Caithness places I know, and it doesn't seem too accurate.
Named places are across the street from where they should be....and one Community...is perhaps several hundred yards from where I thought it to be..
I guess it goes by Postal Code??

shazzap
11-Mar-10, 09:46
The places i have looked at, have only had the main streets on street view.

northener
11-Mar-10, 10:24
Keiss now has the "Sinclair Ay Hotel":Razz

Dog-eared
11-Mar-10, 11:46
Sunbeam Terrace crosses the slipway by the Mission at Scrabster.:lol:

Also, I remember seeing the camera car one day so looked up the location and there I am !

badger
11-Mar-10, 12:03
They've certainly been busy. Wonder if the Weigh Inn knows where it is now :roll:

TracyB
11-Mar-10, 12:48
Oh my god this is brill! My husbands outside our house with our son in his buggy when he was a baby!! Amazing!:D

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-10, 15:47
They have actually removed some of the aerial content, it goes to streetview before the highest detail level, I can't see my walnut tree in detail like I used to, or the mess I made of the valley gutter. :)

joxville
11-Mar-10, 16:06
I've just been looking in Shelley's window...now I know why Bobinovich likes living across the road from her. ;)

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-10, 16:23
They are quite lazy really.

At Dunnet Head they did not even bother going up the road to the view point.

mums angels
11-Mar-10, 16:29
We must have been on holiday when it was taken as its sunny and there are no kids toys out LOL and my husbands car is parked tight up against the garage door something we only ever did when we were away , street names are wrong for our area though and must have been taken quite some time ago as my sons toys are in the wrong window he moved rooms almost 2 years ago.

Mik.M.
11-Mar-10, 16:38
The view of our street was taken when a neighbours friend decided to leave their cars parked awkwardly outside our house for 2 weeks when they sodded off to Orkney so that was summer 08.

Phill
11-Mar-10, 16:39
An Ozzy Ozbourne moment here:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/bigbrother.jpg

I told you they were coming, it's an outrageous conspiracy.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/looking2.jpg

'cept my photies are marginally better than theirs.

So thanks to google I can confirm to myself that I was at home when they woz spyin' on me, 'cos I was spyin' on them too.

Ha ha, my tin foil hat worked that time, they didn't catch me on film, ha h.........oh.....bagger!

overthewallandfaraway
11-Mar-10, 16:46
Edit 2: LOL! I don't think I agree with the new name for the St Clair Hotel (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=58.592884,-3.522856&spn=0,359.982169&z=16&layer=c&cbll=58.592967,-3.522752&panoid=ViPQXcqG6mntZqkx19F19A&cbp=12,288.07,,0,-6.53)![/quote]

I have only been away from Thurso since December last year but it has faily changed according to the google map on the link above, I see the library has moved to the other side of princes street and someone has left there hanbag unattended in the precinct.....

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-10, 16:54
Flashearth seems to have better aerial images.

I was looking at our old croft and there is much closer detail on Flashearth.

I did notice a potted plant that got stolen from us in London was still on our steps, I was hoping to scan the locality to see if anyone was foolish enough to have it on their steps now . . .

scorrie
11-Mar-10, 16:56
The Wick Railway Station footage is way out of date:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/blhitler39.jpg

StacNKel
11-Mar-10, 17:07
My house hasnt even been built! :D

Boozeburglar
11-Mar-10, 17:12
The Wick Railway Station footage is way out of date:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/blhitler39.jpg

Crikey! Nick Griffin is canvassing in Wick?

poppett
11-Mar-10, 18:04
The house I lived in until I was five looks just the same, with the front garden just as dad had it with bedding plants.

Our street has Shelley`s sister heading for her old car from Moonboots house. Quite an old photo as both have newer cars now. Mine is still the same, but had been parked by OH as he doesn`t care if the car is facing up or downhill. I always park it uphill so it is on the correct side of the road.

Been on a "virtual holiday" this afternoon.

Thanks for the link.

Vistravi
11-Mar-10, 19:07
My partner was caught that day working on his car while his mother is doing the gardening. Great fun going through the streets:)

cuddlepop
11-Mar-10, 19:16
Thats freaky,oh only pops home for 5mins to pick up his lunch and he's been busted as lorry is parked across the street.:lol:

Sporran
11-Mar-10, 19:40
Thanks so much for that link, Metalattakk!! I've been having a great time doing a virtual tour of Thurso, and was able to 'stand' right in front of where I used to live! :D When I'd last looked a few months ago, this wasn't possible. Kinda spooky and sad to see the empty ground where Viewfirth once stood, though! :(

George Brims
11-Mar-10, 21:01
Over here in sunny California, they haven't done my street with the camera yet. I see from the aerial view that some nice person has gone and trimmed the tree in the front garden that I've been putting off for months. Oh, wait. that's our old car in the drive. Drat. Years out of date. Well at least they have us in the right place now. For years people trying to find us were directed about 300 yards South, to a house on the next block.

DeHaviLand
11-Mar-10, 22:41
Woohoo, there I am. Driving along Martha Terrace, but only if you look from the corner of Burn Street/Williamson st.

Invisible
11-Mar-10, 22:49
I could spend ages on this, who needs to go on holidays, anyway I cant find me, if anyone does please let me know(by the way no invisible jokes). I was checkin its annoying how there is no way to access what day it was taken

fred
11-Mar-10, 23:11
I could spend ages on this, who needs to go on holidays, anyway I cant find me, if anyone does please let me know(by the way no invisible jokes). I was checkin its annoying how there is no way to access what day it was taken

I would hazard a guess it wasn't taken too recently.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/nm.jpg

Bazeye
11-Mar-10, 23:44
Just spotted my Father in Law in Hakon Road.

Tom Cornwall
12-Mar-10, 20:40
the car in my drive is one I got rid of around 5 years ago, so it's not quite up-to-date

Tubthumper
12-Mar-10, 21:08
I've just been looking in Shelley's window...now I know why Bobinovich likes living across the road from her. ;)
She's not still wearing those same drawers, is she? That's 5 days now... minger!

Boozeburglar
12-Mar-10, 21:09
Gosh, in one pic I am wearing flares, yet in another drainpipes!

Fluff
12-Mar-10, 22:16
Pity the pics are not quite as up to date as I thought they would be, woolies is still there and the town hall had not been finished changed to horizons. Still nice to 'visit' home though!

Leanne
12-Mar-10, 22:18
The pics are 18 months out of date - my old car is still at my old house...

Seems my new house doesn't exist - we have no pics of anything despite the house being built in 1880. Guess we're too rural.

R7PSN
12-Mar-10, 22:19
what do you do to get into that? sorry for being blonde :lol:

shazzap
12-Mar-10, 22:21

Put i where you want to go zoom right in.
Then when you see the cameras click on it.

Fluff
12-Mar-10, 22:44
Or zoom in so you can see the street name. Click and drag the little orange person on the left of the screen onto the street. If the street has a blue border, you can do street view. :)

shazzap
12-Mar-10, 23:07
Does anyone know if these are updated at any time.

Betty
12-Mar-10, 23:11
Over here in sunny California, they haven't done my street with the camera yet. I see from the aerial view that some nice person has gone and trimmed the tree in the front garden that I've been putting off for months. Oh, wait. that's our old car in the drive. Drat. Years out of date. Well at least they have us in the right place now. For years people trying to find us were directed about 300 yards South, to a house on the next block.

You might have better luck with this site George. www.vpike.com. Our house was done less than a year ago, although not in your neck of the woods. A quick search let me see Harald Drive in Thurso, so some of you might see your homes.

sandyr1
13-Mar-10, 17:55
Very up to date Oshawa, Ontario, Can/ perhaps within past few months....tks....sr

Moira
14-Mar-10, 21:26
Woohoo, there I am. Driving along Martha Terrace, but only if you look from the corner of Burn Street/Williamson st.

I see you in Thurso too, at the traffic lights beside the Castletown road junction (A835?). Now that is what I call clever! :D

DeHaviLand
14-Mar-10, 23:03
I see you in Thurso too, at the traffic lights beside the Castletown road junction (A835?). Now that is what I call clever! :D

Ah, that will be the less professional, less handsome, Thurso driver ;)

Moira
14-Mar-10, 23:05
Oops, I should have gone to Specsavers.... :lol:

loganbiffy
14-Mar-10, 23:28
I would hazard a guess it wasn't taken too recently.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/nm.jpg

This is from July 2008. It's pretty nuts being able to see in windows :P