PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus at Caithness general

onecalledk
10-Mar-10, 16:42
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7927/Norovirus_confirmed_at_Wick_hospital.html

currently still doing the rounds in raigmore hospital it has been confirmed at Wick hospital now......

K

horseman
10-Mar-10, 16:55
How can the bleeding thing get about! Has it got wings-can it stick to the sole of your shoe-can you carry it about in your handbag-
I thought all the anti-bacterial practices were good for that-no first hand experience of it but it is obviously well bad- if it is true of course.

Gronnuck
10-Mar-10, 17:22
It gets carried in by patients, visitors and staff. Everyone going in and out of an hospital are suppose to use a gel cleaner on their hands before they enter but do they? Obviously not everyone does! :confused

ducati
10-Mar-10, 21:12
It gets carried in by patients, visitors and staff. Everyone going in and out of an hospital are suppose to use a gel cleaner on their hands before they enter but do they? Obviously not everyone does! :confused

I was there today, there is a recorded message telling to use the gel before you enter-naturally I did :cool:

kitty kat
10-Mar-10, 21:49
I was there today, there is a recorded message telling to use the gel before you enter-naturally I did :cool:

what a fright i got the first time i heard that thing go off :lol:

ŠAmethyst
10-Mar-10, 21:57
It amazes me the number of staff that go from one hospital building to another, even if they're in contact with patients carrying the virus, I don't believe that the hand gel is all that efficient in this case.

Norovirus can spread through infected food & water and through contact with infected surfaces, so I would assume that could easily include clothing.

Its infectious dose is low - meaning it's really easy to catch... I'm off to touch some wood now since I work closely with people that work at hospitals.

colingel
10-Mar-10, 22:02
I have small op this Friday at wick will they still be doing them?

Dadie
10-Mar-10, 22:05
It seems a pretty easy one to catch and a nasty one to get!

A friend of my mum has been laid up with it for a week, she is a healthy person, who was visiting a patient, who was not on a infected ward.

If it is so bad in a healthy person, i would hate to think how awful it would be to get it when you are recovering from an op or other illness in hospital!

moses
11-Mar-10, 21:21
a really nasty bug, lost half a stone in 2 days, feeling on the mend now can take up to 5days to get an appetite back.