PDA

View Full Version : Have you lost a cat?

Jenni
18-May-06, 22:53
Has anyone lost a cat from the Bower area?
I am sad to say that we hit a cat with our car when we were travelling back from Wick late last night. We had just approached the 40 mile an hour zone and so were not travelling that fast but a cat appeared from the ditch and ran straight past our car. It was lucky, but unfortunately another cat followed after him and we were unable to avoid it. We stopped to see if it was still alive and it was, so we took him in the car with the intention of taking it to the vet. I wrapped him in my jacket and lay him on my knee. He did not seem to have any broken bones but his breathing was not great and sadly he died before we reached Thurso.
I am not sure if this was a farm cat or whether it was someone's pet but I would hate to think someone was searching for their beloved pet for days on end. I am not sure how else to trace the owner other than on here, so if you think this was your cat, I am sorry to say he has died.

Jenni

Yvonne
19-May-06, 00:01
Jenni unfortunately I cannot help you further wiith your quest to perhaps locate the owner, but I do hope someone will come forward. I thought your posting was very considerate and thoughtful; it could not have been easy for you to relate since sadly the poor cat died. I hope at the very least the cat was owned by someone and not another neglected, hungry stray who never had love.

Fran
19-May-06, 14:28
what colour and type of cat was it?

Jenni
19-May-06, 20:48
Fran
The cat was a mixture of colours but the base colour was white. There was some grey and light beige on it and its head also had some black. The legs were mainly white. I am not sure what kind of cat but it was quite big. We hit it just before you come to Norscot Joinery at Bower.

Yvonne
You are obviously an animal lover like me. I simply could not abandon it on the road as I would never have slept that night wondering if it was alive or not. I know how I would feel if it had been my cat. Even if it had been dead at the scene I would have moved it onto the verge.

Venture
19-May-06, 22:15
Jenni I admire you for coming on here and giving information about what happened. Nowadays people dont bother when they knock down an animal especially out in the country. You obviously are an animal lover and it must have been horrible for you. Just remember sometimes these kind of things are unavoidable.

Liz
19-May-06, 22:51
Totally agree with Yvonne and Venture.

Whilst some people make no effort to avoid a cat on the road it is obvious that this was an unfortunate accident and it was impossible to avoid the cat who was obviously chasing the other one.

Jenni you gave this cat every chance and I commend you for that and if it did belong to someone they can take comfort in the fact that you did everything you could for their beloved pet. If it was a stray (and very sadly there are many about) at least it was held by someone who cared and would be sad at it's passing.

teritoots
20-May-06, 18:38
Jennie it's so sad for the cat and you but you are so brave at least trying to get it to the vet and that is so commendable. I hope you find the cats owners and I am sure they'll be comforted in the knowing that you did everything you could and you were there with the puss in it's last moments.

Jenni
22-May-06, 17:44
Thank you all for your comments. I wasn't sure of putting this on the message board as I was afraid some people may blame us for the death of the cat even though it was unavoidable but I couldn't think of any other way of tracing the owner. I am glad you all recognise we did our best for the poor cat.

Cheers
Jenni