PDA

View Full Version : Knitting

porshiepoo
09-Mar-10, 21:02
I'm going to start knitting again after many years but I'd like to know what's the best kind of wool to use that doesn't shrink in the wash.

Birdie Wife
10-Mar-10, 14:49
It should tell you on the yarn label if it's machine washable - most yarns with at least 50% wool in them will shrink, but some have been treated to make them machine washable. You might be better off starting with an acrylic blend, or if you see "with wool" on the label then it's generally less than 30% wool.

HTH

porshiepoo
10-Mar-10, 16:02
Righto!
So what would be the best yarn for knitting baby items?

changilass
10-Mar-10, 16:38
All patterns tell you what wool they require, to start with just go by the pattern. When you get more used to it you can choose your own materials.

Birdie Wife
11-Mar-10, 15:46
Righto!
So what would be the best yarn for knitting baby items?

Depending on the weight/thickness of yarn in your pattern I like using Sirdar Snuggly or Sirdar Supersoft Toddler Aran. In fact lots of yarns of made specifically for baby knits will say something like "baby" or "toddler" on the label. Go and find a yarn shop and squeeze some, see what you like!

poppett
11-Mar-10, 23:37
I made a lace patterned cardigan years ago with white speckled baby wool which produced specks of mint green, lemon, pink and blue randomly throughout, just done to a double knitting pattern. It is still an "at home huggie" and much loved. So soft even after hundreds of washes. Reckon it is about 18 or 20 years old now.