PDA

View Full Version : income tax rebate

katarina
09-Mar-10, 19:11
I have just recieved an email supposedly from HM Revenue & customs advising me that I am entitled to a tax refund of £988.50. And it supplies a link from which I can submit my refund request.
Now i have had rebates before, and they were sent direct with a covering letter, so I suspect a scam. Any one else had this?

poppett
09-Mar-10, 19:15
Don`t like the sound if it. I would phone your tax office tomorrow and ask them about it. You would probably know if you were due any money back and last rebate I had was sent by cheque under separate cover from the letter of explaination.

badger
09-Mar-10, 19:16
Heard something about this on the radio recently. It's a scam. Inland Revenue don't use email, only snail.

davie
09-Mar-10, 19:24
Badger is correct - this is a scam to get your bank account details.
HMRC do not communicate by email/

spaceddaisy
09-Mar-10, 19:25
Yeah, avoid like plague. Was nearly take in by something similar a while ago, luckily the filter at work picked it up as a phishing scam. I felt so stupid that I had almost been taken in by it. Later spoke to my mate who works for revenue and customs, he told me that they'll never contact you by email.

bekisman
09-Mar-10, 19:30
This is really from Revenue: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Give examples of the scam

pat
09-Mar-10, 20:14
got one of these a couple of years ago for the first time - was very wary and did not like it although it looked genuine but phoned my accountant and he said avoid it and send it to HM Revenue.
Have had them every few months after when tax returns are submitted but ignore them all as tax do not have my email addy (at least I do not give it but big brother is always aware of what you are doing).

Do not link to these at all.

superceltic
09-Mar-10, 20:47
i had one of those a few months back, i got all excited and phoned them up to be told that it was a scam, and they asked me to forward the email to them, and also to be told aswel that they never contact you by email, it would be by letter

upolian
09-Mar-10, 21:11
They only contact you by letter,ive had this scam before

mama2
09-Mar-10, 21:46
I had this last year, 1st it was a income tax refund then a tax credits one! I found it strange when they asked for card details as tax credits is paid in bank so they would have those details already. I just reported it to the local branch and forwarded the emails to HM Revenue & Customs.

achingale
10-Mar-10, 11:15
Thanks for the heads up. It is definitely a scam though. HM always write to you direct.

katarina
11-Mar-10, 14:25
Thanks everyone. I have forwarded it to HMRC.

Phill
11-Mar-10, 14:40
Aye, just pool it with the $678,234,234,631,982,120.04 your getting from Mr Nagumumba Hubongo once you've sold yer granny.

stekar
12-Mar-10, 14:49
I had this email last year too, very similiar amount that I was due to be refunded.

But seeing as I don't pay tax as I do not work I knew it was definately a scam.

Hoida
12-Mar-10, 16:40
Ignore it, I did tax office only contact you by letter I was advised to forward e mail to them.