PDA

View Full Version : Price of Fuel in Thurso

Kodiak
09-Mar-10, 17:21
I was down at the Co-op today and I noticed at Dunnet's Garage the Price of Unleaded Petrol was £1.19.9 per Litre. You might as well call it £1.20!

I am sure that it will higher than this before it gets any less, but just how High will it go? That is the question.

bekisman
09-Mar-10, 17:28
A handy site for checking prices if you're interested: http://www.petrolprices.com/

Went past Brora last Wednesday Diesel £129.9..

Chillie
09-Mar-10, 18:18
Ha Ha us Weeker's get it all Dunnets in Wick is only 116.9 for unleaded:D

davie
09-Mar-10, 19:11
The retail price of fuel used to have a loose connection with the price for a barrel of crude.

Not any more it seems- we are screwed by the oil companies, the Gubmint, the distributors, and the retailers in Caithness.

I know its an old story but we can thank some of e cooncillors for the lack of competition and high prices on the retail front.

Stack Rock
09-Mar-10, 19:44
TESCOs, Wick still 114.9 for petrol & diesel today. Don't hold your breath though.

Leanne
09-Mar-10, 19:46
There is a national push to boycott bp and esso garages in order to drive the prices down. I think we should try it... Are there any bp and esso garages lol???

Bobbin
09-Mar-10, 19:49
TESCOs, Wick still 114.9 for petrol & diesel today. Don't hold your breath though.Now 115.9......

northener
09-Mar-10, 19:52
If only we had an Asda.........

John Little
09-Mar-10, 20:03
Average price in Kent is £112.9 for unleaded.
If they carry on they will push the economy over the edge again - like they did last time.

pat
09-Mar-10, 20:09
120.9 in one garage in Stornoway and the other two are 121.9 as at 11am this morning.

Truewoman
09-Mar-10, 21:34
Does anyone know why Dunnet's charge 3p a litre more in Thurso?

burstbucker
09-Mar-10, 21:41
I'm sure it was £1.19 at Dunnet's in Wick tonight.

Mall67
09-Mar-10, 22:08
does anyone know why dunnet's charge 3p a litre more in thurso?

tesco!!!!!!!

celtic1888
09-Mar-10, 22:55
i was actually talking to the guy in dunnets yesterday, he thinks prices will soar as high as £1.50 a litre!!!!!!!!

John Little
09-Mar-10, 23:05
I hope he's wrong- the guy in Dunnets. If it does then it is an enormous tax on every motorist in the UK. Prices of everything will skyrocket and we will be back into recession in no time.

I'm not usually in favour or price controls but if the government is going to rein in greedy bankers, maybe they should go for the petrol companies too.

dancingtaz13
10-Mar-10, 00:19
Morrisons in Allness is £1.10........ cheapest yet. :D

Chillie
10-Mar-10, 01:47
Still 116.9 in Wick at Dunnets, tonight, so, Weeker's 1 Teenabowlas 0. :Razz

ducati
10-Mar-10, 08:11
Morrisons in Allness is £1.10........ cheapest yet. :D

My car never has more petrol in it than needed to get to Alness :eek:

You'd think the local garages would get it, when no one puts more than a tenner at a time in. :roll:

achingale
10-Mar-10, 11:10
i was actually talking to the guy in dunnets yesterday, he thinks prices will soar as high as £1.50 a litre!!!!!!!!

I sincerely hope he is wrong. How can they justify that? If the government took less tax it would help...

cuddlepop
10-Mar-10, 13:10
Its £1.199 over here for diesel.With another 2p going on fuel on 1st of April it'll soon creep up again.:mad:

Fuel over here isnt a luxury as our public transport is limited, catch a bus three times a day if you're lucky.:(

annthracks
10-Mar-10, 14:27
I hope he's wrong- the guy in Dunnets. If it does then it is an enormous tax on every motorist in the UK. Prices of everything will skyrocket and we will be back into recession in no time.

I'm not usually in favour or price controls but if the government is going to rein in greedy bankers, maybe they should go for the petrol companies too.

It's the gibberment that takes most of the cost of a barrel of oil in taxes, not "greedy" oil (petrol) companies John.

onecalledk
10-Mar-10, 15:00
perhaps this thread should be merged with the stagecoach thread ?

The price of fuel up here is much higher than densely populated areas, we get no breaks or subsidies for our petrol but have no decent public transport.

Whilst someone say in Inverness can choose to use the bus to save on petrol we have NO such choice. It doesnt matter how much money petrol/diesel is at the pump, if you DEPEND on your car then you will have to fill said car......

The fact that the oil comes in at Scrabster and then is sent further south just adds insult to injury...

K

John Little
10-Mar-10, 15:49
"It's the gibberment that takes most of the cost of a barrel of oil in taxes, not "greedy" oil (petrol) companies John"

Aye that's true enough.
But the companies take their share too. Was it Shell who made £5bn profits in the last quarter of 2009?

Plague on both their houses I say for making ordinary folks lives harder.

sandyr1
10-Mar-10, 16:13
When I read of your prices I shudder....And yes it is the Gov't taxes!
We are at 99 Cents just now and with the exchange rate it's approx 60p per litre..
Yes I also heard that prices will increase as the summer is coming, and the Oil Companies want to take advantage of it.....Vicious circle!

northener
10-Mar-10, 17:09
When I read of your prices I shudder....And yes it is the Gov't taxes!
We are at 99 Cents just now and with the exchange rate it's approx 60p per litre..
Yes I also heard that prices will increase as the summer is coming, and the Oil Companies want to take advantage of it.....Vicious circle!

Ah, but. Yeah, but. No, but....

We may have more expensive fuel, but you have to live in Canada.....;)

horseman
10-Mar-10, 17:22
Dunno how it equates,but in usa just now it is $2.85 a gallon,an they are scandalised at the price.Thou that price you guys are paying seems well over the odds to what I had in Corby 3 weeks ago.
Is it really justified, seen most of the pros an cons on here over the ages,but seems like youse; up there are paying thru the nose.Not good.

sandyr1
10-Mar-10, 17:23
Ah, but. Yeah, but. No, but....

We may have more expensive fuel, but you have to live in Canada.....;)

Yup it's pretty tough....remember, I miss the wind and rain and the rain and wind! And of course, lest we forget...Lybster Harbour/the fish and chips/ scallop and chips... like nowhere else.
Actually, the best fish and chips were on the banks of Loch Broom at Ullapool. And of course there was a slight drizzle to make things complete...

sandyr1
10-Mar-10, 17:30
Dunno how it equates,but in usa just now it is $2.85 a gallon,an they are scandalised at the price.Thou that price you guys are paying seems well over the odds to what I had in Corby 3 weeks ago.
Is it really justified, seen most of the pros an cons on here over the ages,but seems like youse; up there are paying thru the nose.Not good.

Just a thought..Isn't the USA gallon 3 litres(6 pints) and the Imperial gallon is approx 4 litres...8 pints? Canada is on the Imperial gallon...well we don't have gallons any more... am sure you understand.....
And a ton here is 2000lbs and with you it's 2240lbs???? and a cwt is 112lbs.....Lybster School gets credit!

rs 2k
10-Mar-10, 19:28
I thought we had the dearest prices for fuel but, was down in Inverness last week and Brora is £1.21 for diesel :eek:

use to always make sure had enough fuel to get to Brora then top up to do til Inverness then fill up [lol] not anymore [lol]

Leanne
10-Mar-10, 19:39
Fuel over here isnt a luxury as our public transport is limited, catch a bus three times a day if you're lucky.:(

My aunty has one bus a day - the post bus. If she wants to go shopping on the bus she has to get the bus back the next day!! She lives Glenshee way though...

concerned resident
10-Mar-10, 20:34
Let s not forget there would have been more competition with fuel prices, if Asda had been given planning Permission, the extra cost in fuel that this has cost the citizens of Caithness, i shudder to think, i can only hope that the Councillers from Caithness while filling there tanks in Inverness before heading north, get the bottom of the tank ( water ) as they are a disgrace to the County.

northener
11-Mar-10, 00:22
You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't.......

Kodiak
11-Mar-10, 00:29
Just a thought..Isn't the USA gallon 3 litres(6 pints) and the Imperial gallon is approx 4 litres...8 pints?

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

or

1 US gallon = 0.83267384 Imperial gallons. IE UK

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-10, 00:46
I filled up with unleaded in Bristol on Monday and it was 116.9p per Ltr

I filled up in Tesco, Wick with Diesel Monday evening and it was 114.9p per Ltr.

onecalledk
11-Mar-10, 14:34
I filled up with unleaded in Bristol on Monday and it was 116.9p per Ltr

I filled up in Tesco, Wick with Diesel Monday evening and it was 114.9p per Ltr.

does this mean you have a car that take petrol AND diesel ???

diesel is always a couple of pence cheaper than the price of unleaded .......

K

cuddlepop
11-Mar-10, 14:40

K

Diesel has been dearer than petrol for ages.:confused

ducati
11-Mar-10, 15:48

K

No it means 5 minutes later he called the AA [lol]

golach
11-Mar-10, 16:04
price of unleaded in Morrisons down here today £110.9, for diesel £111.9

onecalledk
11-Mar-10, 16:36
Diesel has been dearer than petrol for ages.:confused

can you tell I drive a petrol car ? :lol:

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-10, 16:58

K

Lol, No, I had been doon Sooth visiting friends and family over the weekend and flew from Inverness to Bristol, return.

I filled the hire car up in Bristol with petrol before returning it, and I filled my vehicle up with diesel when I returned home to Wick.

davie
11-Mar-10, 19:23
Lol, No, I had been doon Sooth visiting friends and family over the weekend and flew from Inverness to Bristol, return.

I filled the hire car up in Bristol with petrol before returning it, and I filled my vehicle up with diesel when I returned home to Wick.

You are bliddy lucky that someone did not start a rant aboot you speeding the whole way from Bristol to Week

bekisman
12-Mar-10, 00:14
I seem to remember someone on a recent thread said that diesel and petrol comes into Scrabster by ship, is this correct?

Stack Rock
12-Mar-10, 09:16
I seem to remember someone on a recent thread said that diesel and petrol comes into Scrabster by ship, is this correct?

The fuel for TESCO, SHELL & ESSO comes up by road tanker

Sara Jevo
12-Mar-10, 09:42
I suspect there is very little any of us can do as individuals to affect change in the price of fuel.

However, if fuel prices are going to increase to a point that the proportion of your spend becomes unaffordable, then now is the time to rethink how you approach travel.

It probably isn't a popular thing to say. But at some point we will need to break the "love affair" with private motoring (at least so long as it relies on oil) and our endless consumption of a finite resource. Better to do that now in a planned way.

Branson warns of peak oil crunch in 5 years (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/07/branson-warns-peak-oil-close)- Guardian Business

John Little
12-Mar-10, 13:09
Bad news - my local petrol station has just bumped unleaded up 3p to 115. If it's that doon here I hate to think what it will be up there ...