PDA

View Full Version : 2MW from wind at midnight tonight!

ywindythesecond
08-Mar-10, 21:40
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9490/2mwx.jpg
National Grid are forecasting 2MW electricity from 1588MW connected wind generation at midnight tonight. You would think that was unbelievable but for 95 minutes earlier today, only 3MW was being generated.
www.bmreports.com (http://www.bmreports.com) Click on General-Electricity Data-wind forecast out-turn. Hover your mouse to see what the numbers are.

Kodiak
08-Mar-10, 21:46
OK Interesting that.............NOT

Now rewrite it all in English or some other language that we all can understand and why you think that we should be interested.

ywindythesecond
08-Mar-10, 21:53

Now rewrite it all in English or some other language that we all can understand and why you think that we should be interested.
It is in English, and you should be interested because UK and Scottish Governments are rushing us into a dependency on wind energy when it is totally undependable.

davie
08-Mar-10, 22:04
Personally I find this very interesting.

Apologies if I do not subscribe to the Royal 'wee' point of view as per the previous post.

Kodiak
08-Mar-10, 22:08
Personally I find this very interesting.

Apologies if I do not subscribe to the Royal 'wee' point of view as per the previous post.

I am happy you find it interesting.................Perhaps you can translate the gibberish into English since ywindythesecond refuses to.

ywindythesecond
08-Mar-10, 22:18
I am happy you find it interesting.................Perhaps you can translate the gibberish into English since ywindythesecond refuses to.
Sorry Kodiak, which parts don't you understand and I will try to explain?

Phill
08-Mar-10, 22:24
It roughly translates to taking a hacksaw to all the windymills as that's the best thing for them.

davem
08-Mar-10, 22:27
From a possible 1588 MW capacity only 2MW is forecast to be generated.
My interpretation would be that there is a large amount of steel and aluminium deposited in draughty once beauty spots doing us no good whatsoever.

bekisman
08-Mar-10, 23:18
Oh well better phone England to send some power up, as Scotland won't have any Nuclear power to supply us.

ywindythesecond
09-Mar-10, 08:28
National Grid are forecasting 2MW electricity from 1588MW connected wind generation at midnight tonight. You would think that was unbelievable but for 95 minutes earlier today, only 3MW was being generated.
www.bmreports.com (http://www.bmreports.com) Click on General-Electricity Data-wind forecast out-turn. Hover your mouse to see what the numbers are.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4298/around12.jpg

Big sigh of relief! Wind generation stayed as high as 12MW last night and didn't get down to the scaremongering 2MW predicted by National grid!
Still, with 1588MW possible (enough for 887,929 homes according to BWEA) the 18,638 homes which benefitted from this stroke of luck are happy places today. Pity about the 881,219 homes which would have spent last night in the dark if we relied on wind power for our electricity. (Which we will be doing shortly if Brown and Salmond get their way.)

Bazeye
09-Mar-10, 20:21
Nuclear energy. The future's orange.

Phill
09-Mar-10, 22:56

Is there summit I should know about me fone!!!!!

upolian
09-Mar-10, 23:05

hahahahaha o2 are more reliable:P

fred
10-Mar-10, 00:39

The National Grid says all their windmills put together are only going to put out enough electricity to boil 800 kettles.

ywindythesecond
10-Mar-10, 01:16
Jam tomorrow?
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3973/jamtomorrow.jpg

sandyr1
10-Mar-10, 01:27
A Question??

Do the owners of the land get paid whether 'it winds or not'?

horseman
10-Mar-10, 02:56
Course they flippin well do.Ye got another reason for it.

Scout
10-Mar-10, 07:27
Ok so there has been little wind for the past few weeks. Are you saying that Caithness will never have much wind again? This is a fluke that we have had no wind for weeks or months. You are all missing the point the Government are not saying we should just have winds farms but mix of green energy. ( Tidal, wave, wind etc. ) One fails then the others will back up power may be missing. Has any one thought of the cost of clean up with the waste of Nuclear energy. and has cost the country huge amounts of money. The only problem you can’t see radiation hot spot all along the coast. The other point with Wind farms can any one tell me who other then the wind farm company’s has been ask to give money out to public?:roll:

ywindythesecond
10-Mar-10, 07:45
Ok so there has been little wind for the past few weeks. Are you saying that Caithness will never have much wind again? This is a fluke that we have had no wind for weeks or months. You are all missing the point the Government are not saying we should just have winds farms but mix of green energy. ( Tidal, wave, wind etc. ) One fails then the others will back up power may be missing. Has any thought of the cost of clean up with the waste of Nuclear energy. and has cost the country huge amounts of money. The only problem you can’t see radiation hot spot all along the coast. The other point with Wind farms can any one tell me who other then the wind farm company’s has been ask to give money out to public?:roll:
Point is Scout, the Scottish government wants 50% of our electricity from renewables, effectively wind. When you are short of 49.99% of your generating capacity, then there is nothing left to back it up. At 6.30pm yesterday UK demand was 55397MW and wind was supplying 12 of them www.bmreports.com (http://www.bmreports.com) . As for windfarm companies handing out the money to the public, the money goes in the other direction, about £45 a MW in subsidy through our electricity bills paid by everyone in the country but only those living close enough to a windfarm to need to be induced to support it ever see a penny of it.

ducati
10-Mar-10, 07:55
Any "green" Renewable energy source is not going to be 100% reliable.
You only get 2 tides a day (so 4 generation periods) and its not always wavy. Even the North atlantic is flat calm a good proportion of the time.

Maybe we just have to get used to a dim light and slow kettle. That's progress :roll:

Scout
10-Mar-10, 08:53
I think we need to read this before we say the only way is Nuclear power. That is my point there is all problems with each one. But I think we do need greener energy then Nuclear power. Before wind farms came along. How many people complained about there electricity bills? How much public money being pumped into Nuclear power?:(

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/regv15n1/reg15n1-rothwell.html

Mystical Potato Head
10-Mar-10, 09:19

Loads of windmills + no wind = not a lot of power generated...........geez its not nuclear physics.:lol:

Jeid
10-Mar-10, 10:22
At least the windmills make the countryside look good ;)

Even Chance
10-Mar-10, 12:54
You only get 2 tides a day (so 4 generation periods) and its not always wavy. :roll:

Do you know the length o these 4 generation periods? You make it sound lek there is only twa hours o tide per day!!:lol:

I lek em too Jeid! No everyone in Caithness hates em.;)

annthracks
10-Mar-10, 15:16
hahahahaha o2 are more reliable:P

Everyone's more reliable :), with perhaps the exception of 3... who you can rely on to not provide video phonecalls in most areas down Eastern UK

annthracks
10-Mar-10, 15:18

I'd like to see the blades painted different colours, or with a spiral on them :)

ducati
10-Mar-10, 15:23
Do you know the length o these 4 generation periods? You make it sound lek there is only twa hours o tide per day!!:lol:

Well the times change but leki is generated only when the tide is moving fast-once each way for each tide-I guess, I'm no expert, in fact I would go so far as to say I have no clue what I'm talking about-what are you listening to me for?[lol]

Even Chance
10-Mar-10, 15:30
Theres only a wee drop of slack water at either end of e tide. Otherwise its flowing through the Firth at a ferocious rate!! Lekky can be generated for most of the time.

Its a lot more reliable than wind, thats for sure. No be long afore a machine gets dropped intil e Firth now surely.

badger
10-Mar-10, 17:32

I wonder if you would think that if you were surrounded by them - the noise, the flicker, the vibration. Blocking out the view even when there's no wind. Almost everyone in the Caithness thread on here talks of the big skies, the views, the peace, nature. Make the most of it because in a few years it will be gone.

Most people have no idea how many windfarms are coming to Caithness. There are only 6 now with 48 turbines and the biggest is Causeymire with 21 small ones. Nearly all those coming are much taller with larger blades. 3 approved with 49 turbines. 10 in planning with 118. 4 more coming with about 65 turbines.

Soon almost everywhere you look will have turbines. Look at the Highland Council map if you don't believe me - each of those dots is a windfarm.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7D7C8DC6-3791-49D3-B0A4-448EA69221F9/0/highland_wind.pdf

Will the countryside look so good then? All for what, so Alex Salmond can say how green we are - he doesn't care that they won't do the job.

ducati
23-Mar-10, 20:04
Blades are snapping off again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8582554.stm

Jeid
23-Mar-10, 20:11
I wonder if you would think that if you were surrounded by them - the noise, the flicker, the vibration. Blocking out the view even when there's no wind. Almost everyone in the Caithness thread on here talks of the big skies, the views, the peace, nature. Make the most of it because in a few years it will be gone.

Most people have no idea how many windfarms are coming to Caithness. There are only 6 now with 48 turbines and the biggest is Causeymire with 21 small ones. Nearly all those coming are much taller with larger blades. 3 approved with 49 turbines. 10 in planning with 118. 4 more coming with about 65 turbines.

Soon almost everywhere you look will have turbines. Look at the Highland Council map if you don't believe me - each of those dots is a windfarm.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7D7C8DC6-3791-49D3-B0A4-448EA69221F9/0/highland_wind.pdf

Will the countryside look so good then? All for what, so Alex Salmond can say how green we are - he doesn't care that they won't do the job.

I don't mind. People have varying opinions on things, as I said before, I think they look good. We've gotta get power from somewhere and if this gives us power in some shape or form, then cool.

badger
23-Mar-10, 22:24
I don't mind. People have varying opinions on things, as I said before, I think they look good. We've gotta get power from somewhere and if this gives us power in some shape or form, then cool.

They don't give nearly enough power to justify destroying the countryside.

Jeid
23-Mar-10, 22:43
Nuclear power stations did, nobody seems to want them either.

What's the solution?

Gronnuck
23-Mar-10, 23:41
Any "green" Renewable energy source is not going to be 100% reliable.
You only get 2 tides a day (so 4 generation periods) and its not always wavy. Even the North atlantic is flat calm a good proportion of the time.

Maybe we just have to get used to a dim light and slow kettle. That's progress :roll:

This has to be the most appropriate post yet given the data provided by ywindythesecond.

As for Scout's proposal that the green renewables will somehow work in concert to provide us with a consistant supply - rubbish.
Renewables are reliant upon nature and nature is anything but reliable - *simples ;)*

Gronnuck
23-Mar-10, 23:43

Aye it's them eagles flying into them all the time.

ducati
24-Mar-10, 08:48
Aye it's them eagles flying into them all the time.

Welcome to the hotel Cali..erk :eek:

Green_not_greed
24-Mar-10, 09:14

Rather careless of them, I thought.

OK it was the whole blade that came off in one piece, so it didn't travel very far horizontally. But there are documented cases of blade pieces travelling 1300m when a blade disintegrates in a high wind. So the question which must be answered is "what is a safe distance to houses"? Certainly not at the Baillie site.

The SNP administration are putting political targets ahead of public safety.

Tubthumper
24-Mar-10, 13:11
The reputation of wind turbines as passive and safe is certainly in a bit more doubt after recent events locally and in the wider country.
However I have to ask, is there any reliable source of power that is truly without any risks to health & safety, and truly lacking in impact on the environment.
And regarding 'green-ness' (without wishing to be branded an anti) the blade that broke was something else in design and construction, and as expoxy resin/fibreglass mat manufacture is a pretty stinky and horrible process, just how environmentally friendly are these big turbines?

ducati
24-Mar-10, 13:22
The reputation of wind turbines as passive and safe is certainly in a bit more doubt after recent events locally and in the wider country.
However I have to ask, is there any reliable source of power that is truly without any risks to health & safety, and truly lacking in impact on the environment.
And regarding 'green-ness' (without wishing to be branded an anti) the blade that broke was something else in design and construction, and as expoxy resin/fibreglass mat manufacture is a pretty stinky and horrible process, just how environmentally friendly are these big turbines?

You would think after more than 100 years of propeller technology and the capability to design supersonic blades, they could design something that would not break turning very slowly:confused

bekisman
24-Mar-10, 13:56
Maybe someone's been chipping bits of the blade off with a 12 bore (unbalances it and knackers the gears)
"We have had at least 11 reported cases of people shooting turbines with guns. (They do make tempting targets for bored target shooters)"

http://www.missouriwindandsolar.com/500w_Low_Wind_Turbines.html (http://www.missouriwindandsolar.com/500w_Low_Wind_Turbines.html)

Green_not_greed
24-Mar-10, 15:28
Maybe someone's been chipping bits of the blade off with a 12 bore (unbalances it and knackers the gears)
"We have had at least 11 reported cases of people shooting turbines with guns. (They do make tempting targets for bored target shooters)"

http://www.missouriwindandsolar.com/500w_Low_Wind_Turbines.html (http://www.missouriwindandsolar.com/500w_Low_Wind_Turbines.html)

Glad to see somebody finally found a use for them!

Though given the size of Caithness turbines, you'd need a howitzer to do any real damage......

bekisman
24-Mar-10, 15:36
Glad to see somebody finally found a use for them!

Though given the size of Caithness turbines, you'd need a howitzer to do any real damage......

'The maximum "killing range" of a standard 12 bore shotgun is generally accepted as approximately 45 yards this can be increased to around 60 yards for the right combination of choke and shot in a 3.1/2" chambered gun.'

Just need a steady aim at the tip of the blade as it sweeps down!

Phill
24-Mar-10, 16:12
Just need a steady aim at the tip of the blade as it sweeps down!

You've bin practising, I can tell!

Phill
24-Mar-10, 16:13
you'd need a howitzer to do any real damage......

I'm game to try this out, anyone got a howitzer around these parts?

bekisman
24-Mar-10, 16:53
You've bin practising, I can tell!

What me? nah - handed me 12 bore into the police station - month later got a rebuke from copper HQ saying I had not registered me gun and where was it? (or words to that effect).. Got it sorted though.

No, I was speaking to 'someone' who said that the turbine blades are precisely matched/balanced, if any part of the blade is damaged i.e. broken shot off, puts the blades out of kilter and knackers up the gearing.. ;)

Phill
24-Mar-10, 17:12
No, I was speaking to 'someone' who said that the turbine blades are precisely matched/balanced, if any part of the blade is damaged i.e. broken shot off, puts the blades out of kilter and knackers up the gearing.. ;)

Well, I would assume the same principle as aircraft prop's. It won't take much before it tears itself apart due to imbalance.

badger
24-Mar-10, 18:03
Rather careless of them, I thought.

OK it was the whole blade that came off in one piece, so it didn't travel very far horizontally. But there are documented cases of blade pieces travelling 1300m when a blade disintegrates in a high wind. So the question which must be answered is "what is a safe distance to houses"? Certainly not at the Baillie site.

The SNP administration are putting political targets ahead of public safety.

Our Council has just approved turbines in local school grounds. Wouldn't want my grandchildren anywhere near them. Ok, so they're a lot smaller but that didn't stop two same size school turbines collapsing recently.

whaligoechiel
24-Mar-10, 19:03
I see Bekisman that you are a true sportsman taking them when they are moving
why don't you wait until the Monster is stopped which is more often than when they are moving then you can get an easer shot in fact a couple of rounds with a .247 or .270 rifle should result in a clean kill

Neil Howie
25-Mar-10, 00:26
Germany got more than 10 percent of its energy last year from renewable sources, a "delightful" step towards a 2020 goal of 18 percent.... Biomass sources were the single biggest supplier.

here (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100324/tsc-germany-got-10-of-energy-from-clean-c2ff8aa.html)

bekisman
25-Mar-10, 09:37
I see Bekisman that you are a true sportsman taking them when they are moving
why don't you wait until the Monster is stopped which is more often than when they are moving then you can get an easer shot in fact a couple of rounds with a .247 or .270 rifle should result in a clean kill

Might have once - used to (1972) rep the Regiment in Long Range Target Rifle at Bisley; 7.62mm at 1,100 yards over open sights..
Then three years ago bought myself a nice little air rifle with telescopic sights to have a bash; cardboard cereal boxes at 30 yards? not a hope in hell!
Well they do say your eyes start to degenerate as you get older!

whaligoechiel
25-Mar-10, 22:46
Driving to wok this morning I noticed that all the monsters with flaying arms have stopped again I really hope this was due to no wind rather than my suggestion on how to kill this evil beast that is taking over Caithness
I did really only mean it in jest
But some thing has to be done before Caithness and Sutherland is covered in them only to the profit of a very few (already rich land lords) (and it is all about profit) and to the greens have a look at the real cost in producing them (most are manufactured abroad) carbon foot print and all that

ywindythesecond
28-Mar-10, 22:22
This has to be the most appropriate post yet given the data provided by ywindythesecond.

As for Scout's proposal that the green renewables will somehow work in concert to provide us with a consistant supply - rubbish.
Renewables are reliant upon nature and nature is anything but reliable - *simples ;)*

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2572/28thmarchrollercoaster.jpg

This is a graph of energy from wind - yesterday, up to now today, and projected for tomorrow. Jim Mather says we are on track for 31% of Scotland’s electricity demand to be met from Renewables by 2011. To do this we need constant power from wind at a level of twice the maximum in this graph.
It doesn’t matter how hard we demand it, if the wind don’t blow when we need it we just won’t get the power. Someone needs to tell Jim Mather this.
( The down spike is from a recording problem, not a drop in wind. My hat is off to Reggy for teaching me this. RIP Reggy)

Scout
29-Mar-10, 07:05
I may not get this but every one who is looking at these charts may be able to work out how this has been done. How do you get these data wind speeds and who has done this. Is this back up by other groups or is this only from the anti wind farm group. What happens to the waste from power stations? When you say that Renewabels are reliant on nature are you saying we would at the same time have no wind no wave no tidal? :confused

ywindythesecond
29-Mar-10, 11:12
I may not get this but every one who is looking at these charts may be able to work out how this has been done. How do you get these data wind speeds and who has done this. Is this back up by other groups or is this only from the anti wind farm group. What happens to the waste from power stations? When you say that Renewabels are reliant on nature are you saying we would at the same time have no wind no wave no tidal? :confused

These charts are published by the National Grid on www.bmreports.com (http://www.bmreports.com) . National Grid is responsible for making sure we get electricity when we need it. Electricity can't be stored in large quantity, so making sure that it is there when we need it is a monumental balancing act, and the skill NG uses is predicting what power we will need and planning where it will come from. NG is expert at predicting demand and expert at planning how to meet it, EXCEPT government says it MUST take wind energy when it is being generated, and nobody can plan for that. The result is that NG has to have a Plan B at all times, and that is usually to keep coal fired power stations up and running with the power switched off but the fires stoked up. We get to pay for the wind and the coal at the same time and little carbon is saved.
The information is all there for anyone to see at www.bmreports.com (http://www.bmreports.com) .
I invite you and anyone else to PM me and I will talk you through the website as it is a bit daunting until you find your way.

I am happy to talk about waste from power stations and I will start a new thread for that.

Regarding the reliability of nature to provide us power when we need it, Government and the wind industry rely on saying that it is always windy somewhere. Windy somewhere does not give us the power we need when we need it. Right now 1588MW connected windfarms in Scotland are producing 85MW when the 31% boasted by Jim Mather is over 2000MW.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2698/1105mon29march.jpg

We don't have wave and we don't have tidal, and we won't have them for some considerable time and the tide stops twice a day and there is no guarantee that the wind will step in with such regularity.

Phill
29-Mar-10, 11:32
I note with interest that now we've had a covering of snow and it's bloody freezing the two windymills I can see out of my window are not turning.

So orff to pile coal onto me fire to keep my warm.