PDA

View Full Version : If you like folk music...

Saveman
18-May-06, 16:27
...what dya make of this?

http://www.lau-music.co.uk/music/index.html

Chobbersjnr
18-May-06, 21:54
well.........it aint really my thang BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT it is incredibly well recorded, & of the 3 people involved I am aware of Kris D & have an immense amount of respect for his abilities on D/bass,banjo, guitar & vocals

I met him & played on the same bill as Kris at the orkney folk festival. He played with his father Ivor & with a band called Montgomery Firth.

The jam session aterwards in the stromness hotel let me know what a voice he had at his disposal as well as his party pieces on respective instruments. That was some session!!!!

I don't know anything of the other 2 but they have to be good by the time they're working with Kris, lets just say that

Saveman
19-May-06, 14:58
Yes he's not bad is he? ;)

I played with him a few times in the past, but it wasn't folk music we played back then :D .....pity they're not playing up this way....

Chobbersjnr
20-May-06, 13:02
Yes he's not bad is he? ;)

I played with him a few times in the past, but it wasn't folk music we played back then :D .....pity they're not playing up this way....

what sort of music was it Mr. Man, & out of curiosity what do you play???

Surely with Kris Drevor's roots in Orkney he'd be coming north sometime??

Gawd I was heavilly drunk at the Orkney Folk Fessy, having fun all round & watching a spectacular fight outside the stromness. Grant Lyall & myself having a good laugh at it. More because of the 2 cops that let it develop until one of them picked up a fiddler as a weapon................what a larff

Saveman
23-May-06, 11:02
what sort of music was it Mr. Man, & out of curiosity what do you play???

Good question....it was all original stuff back then though I think I was only "officially" in Kris' band for about two days! It was kind of "eccentric pop" great fun! I played guitar a couple of times but it was mostly drums. We were even on BBC Radio Orkney once (oh yeah that's the big time folks!!)

Surely with Kris Drevor's roots in Orkney he'd be coming north sometime??

I hope so.

Gawd I was heavilly drunk at the Orkney Folk Fessy, having fun all round & watching a spectacular fight outside the stromness. Grant Lyall & myself having a good laugh at it. More because of the 2 cops that let it develop until one of them picked up a fiddler as a weapon................what a larff

Ayeee...it's all fun and games until someone loses a fiddle.... ;)

Chobbersjnr
23-May-06, 13:34
Ayeee...it's all fun and games until someone loses a fiddle.... ;)

ahem it was a fiddler

Saveman
23-May-06, 13:54
:p ....my mistake....

zebedy
23-May-06, 15:46
best folk music ive ever heard is Nick harper

Sure sum of u can concurr!???

Chobbersjnr
23-May-06, 21:37
best folk music ive ever heard is Nick harper

Sure sum of u can concurr!???

I concur although it's more folk/thrash wouldn't ya say.. guys a litteral acoustic machine

Twa hoors straight man, holeeeeeeeeeeeee

I like covering his stuff although none of my acoustics comfortably tune down that low BOTTOM A!!!!!!